Ellis Update; Crawford Rumor; M. Williams Buyout; Wright Too

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:13 pm
Plethora of info from 1 source:
LINK

OAKLAND — Warriors guard Monta Ellis rejoined the team Monday and defiantly insisted that his absence had nothing to do with his surgically repaired left ankle.

Ellis, who missed the first 43 games of the season after injuring his ankle in a moped accident (and was subsequently suspended because of it), returned for 13 games before the Warriors announced he would have to take one to two weeks off because of stiffness. But Ellis said Monday that the only reason he left the team was to be with his ailing mother, Rosa.

"There's nothing wrong with my ankle," Ellis said after Monday's practice. "I went to see my mom. My mom was sick. I went home to see her. That's why I took the time off. It had nothing to do with my ankle."

The Warriors announced Feb. 22 that Ellis would take the time off. The team's first game without him was a loss to the Los Angeles Clippers the next day. Ellis was with the team at practice the following day before traveling to Mississippi to see his mother.

Ellis was scheduled to see a doctor later Monday and, presuming he is cleared to play, will practice today and return for Wednesday's game against the New Jersey Nets.

When he does, Ellis will play exclusively point guard for the rest of the season. Warriors coach Don Nelson said Monday he wants to see how Ellis performs running the team for the final 19 games because that's where he sees him playing for the long haul. Ellis had been playing both guard positions since his return.

"I think it's time to concentrate on seeing if he can be a (point guard) and see how that's going to work," Nelson said. "That's my plan. The obvious place for him is (point guard)."

Nelson said his ideal backcourt would have Ellis running the point with Stephen Jackson playing off-guard.

Really conflicting info from the team and from Monta. If it wasn't for his ankle, why is waiting to be cleared to play?

Forcing Monta to play the 1 can only help him, and help our draft position.

Jax at the 2? That's a big F-you to Crawford...I guess it opens up the sf for Buike, and the 4 for either Wright/Randolph? Not bad I suppose.

Crawford's future

Nelson declined to comment on a report last week by Bay Area News Group that he had a meeting with guard Jamal Crawford and told him to opt out of his contract or he would be traded. Nelson acknowledged he had a conversation with Crawford but wouldn't elaborate.

"That was a private meeting," Nelson said. "There were only two at the meeting. I haven't discussed it with anybody. If I discuss that, I think I want to discuss that at a different time."

Crawford has two years for just under $20 million left on his contract but can opt out after this season.

"Get out."

Williams out

The Warriors are in the process of waiving seldom-used point guard Marcus Williams, but the paperwork wasn't finalized by the end of the day.

The Warriors acquired Williams for a first-round draft pick in July, but he played in just nine games for a total of 54 minutes.

When asked what didn't work with Williams, Nelson replied: "Everything."

"It just wasn't a good fit," Nelson said. "I like him very much. It was a really tough situation and he was a model citizen. He worked hard and was a pleasure to be around. His style just wasn't my style. He's better in the half-court."

At least we get some closure. I never would have thought Williams was more of a half-court guy, but if that's what Nellie says...

And you are?

Nelson walked by injured forward Brandan Wright at the end of practice and jokingly said: "I don't think we've met. I'm Coach Nelson."

Wright was back on the floor Monday doing individual work and plans to participate in a full practice today. Wright has missed the past 26 games with a dislocated left shoulder.

"I would have loved to have Brandan Wright the whole way because I thought he was really coming nicely," Nelson said. Wright isn't expected to play Wednesday, but Nelson said he hopes Wright can play in some games down the stretch.

Yay.
Would have made this stretch much more enjoyable if Wright was developing in front of our eyes just like Randolph has.
I am Aussiebiedrins' fantasy. BITCH!
Jeg er ikke enig.... Jeg kan godt lide at spise din mors gris ben.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:11 pm
If you say so, Monta.

As far as playing the point goes for Monta. Why not? Even though it's not his position, what do we have to lose? Let's try experimenting these last weeks of the season.

Williams... just more BS from Nelson. "Better in a half court" my as*.

And Wright... I really believe this organization is going to trade him away this off season because one, he'd be a valuable trade piece and two, they like Randolph more.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.

Return to News Articles