Marcus Williams Still a factor..

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:18 pm
Marcus Williams didn't play against Kings, but it doesn't mean he wasn't a factor.

January 15, 8:09 PM
by Matt Steinmetz, Golden State Warriors Examiner

Marcus Williams: Seven games total; none in 3-plus weeks, I’m not really one to harp on something that doesn’t matter a whole lot.

Until it matters.

And Marcus Williams mattered in Wednesday night’s triple-OT loss to Sacramento. Yes, I realize he didn’t play a minute, but that’s once again kind of the point.

C’mon, why is Williams around if he’s got no shot at getting into a game? I understand in the grand scheme of things there’s not a whole lot of difference between 11-29 and 12-28, but the whole Marcus Williams thing may have cost the Warriors a ballgame.

C.J. Watson fouled out with 34 seconds remaining and the Warriors up five in the second overtime, leaving Warriors coach Don Nelson with the following choices: Williams, Rob Kurz, Anthony Randolph and Jermareo Davidson.

Nelson opted for Kurz, which is all well and good. Except the reality of the situation was Williams wasn’t an option. And because Williams wasn’t an option, it gave the Warriors one fewer possibility and one less strategic piece. Would have been better off with DeMarcus Nelson around instead of Williams.

If there’s anyone else inside that uniform, anyone else other than Williams on the roster, any real alternative for Nelson to use, then maybe he goes in that direction and an outcome changes.

Interestingly, Williams’ name came up in Nelson’s pregame interview with the media. He was asked that since he was down to Watson and Jamal Crawford at the point (with Marco Belinelli injured), if he would be inclined to try Williams.

“I wouldn’t think so,” Nelson said.

On Thursday, Nelson was asked about Williams again and said it was going to be even tougher for Williams to play after Monta Ellis gets back.

Tougher? Guy’s played seven games all year and hasn’t stepped foot on the court in more than three weeks.

Apparently, the reason Williams is still around is because he may need to be included in some future deal, some kind of money-equalizer even though he’s got only $600,000 remaining on the rest of his deal.

It doesn’t make sense that Williams is so insignificant as to not be able to get into a game, but yet he’s so important that he’ll be the tipping point of a deal.

Weeks ago was past the point of dissecting the whys and wherefores of what went wrong along the way with Marcus Williams, Don Nelson and the Warriors. We get it. For a variety of reasons Williams isn't going to play. Been there, done that.

But if he's still here and not going to play, then it’s worth noting when his mere presence hurts you.
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:23 pm
Nice find OG. 8)

I did notice that Marcus was one of the first people off the bench cheering on his teammates down the stretch and during the 3 OT's. There's got to be something he can contribute. Nelson's an ass...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3pIsA0Q ... re=related

Steph Curry fakin Chris Anderson out of his jock: awesome!
look on Turiaf's face: priceless
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:35 am
I wish he was given a shot. This will be one kid we will never know what could be. He CAN run this team... I truly believe that.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.

All Star
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:54 am
2 things...

1) props to Jax for setting up Marcus's three Friday night. Last shot before the half and Jax passed it off, which was cool.

2) im worried that without a true pg, Monta won't be as effective. I was watching some highlight clips, and Monta was always getting set-up nicely by Baron or in the case of the Rook/Soph all-star game, other good passers. Marcus is the only guy on the team who can be that man.
I am Aussiebiedrins' fantasy. BITCH!
Jeg er ikke enig.... Jeg kan godt lide at spise din mors gris ben.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:09 am
fine wrote:2 things...

1) props to Jax for setting up Marcus's three Friday night. Last shot before the half and Jax passed it off, which was cool.

2) im worried that without a true pg, Monta won't be as effective. I was watching some highlight clips, and Monta was always getting set-up nicely by Baron or in the case of the Rook/Soph all-star game, other good passers. Marcus is the only guy on the team who can be that man.

Yep. The way the rotation should be ran is Morrow, Kurz and all the other 9th-12th men getting no minutes or in street clothes. Randolph and Wright getting their minutes. Watson and Marcus sharing minutes along with Azu, Turiaf, and Beli getting their share.

Right now with the injuries and all, Marcus and Watson(unless he's injured) should be backing up Crawford. Randolph should get up to 23-25 minutes. And the rest get their fair share.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:57 am
xbay wrote:I wish he was given a shot. This will be one kid we will never know what could be. He CAN run this team... I truly believe that.

so do i x. When he's actually played, he's looked like our cleanest, and perhaps best passer. Would love to see a set of circumstances come about that stems with him playing 40 mins. Just to see
Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:57 pm
O.G. Broe wrote:Apparently, the reason Williams is still around is because he may need to be included in some future deal, some kind of money-equalizer even though he’s got only $600,000 remaining on the rest of his deal.

It doesn’t make sense that Williams is so insignificant as to not be able to get into a game, but yet he’s so important that he’ll be the tipping point of a deal.

I think you answered your own question on that one. He's probably not going to be the tipping point of a deal but rather a money equalizer for a potential trade and that might be the reason we're keeping him around but not giving him any PT.
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."

Return to News Articles