Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:39 am
By Marcus Thompson II
Staff writer
Posted: 01/06/2009 09:08:44 PM PST

OAKLAND — Warriors swingman Corey Maggette said he's heard the talk of him being a selfish player, but he's not listening. He's noticed people throwing darts at him throughout his career, but he's not paying attention.
He said he knows he's not selfish. No question about it.

"Everyone has an opinion on it, and everyone is entitled to their opinion," Maggette said after practicing lightly Tuesday. "But I just come here and I just want to win. If winning is about being selfish, then I guess I'm the most selfish player on the planet."

Fans and media focus on his shot attempts, his low assist numbers (career 2.2 per game) and his past run-ins with Los Angeles Clippers coach Mike Dunleavy, his coach the previous five seasons. But Maggette, who signed with the Warriors in July as a free agent, said he's content with who he is, choosing to focus on the unselfishness most people don't see.

Such as staying positive and mentoring the rookies during a tumultuous season. Playing through injuries. Volunteering to come off the bench instead of starting.

"He does things like get people stuff for Christmas," guard Jamal Crawford said. "He always tries to give teammates advice and encouragement. If he were a selfish person, he would keep to himself."

Starting tonight against the Los Angeles Lakers, Maggette will have to take on an even bigger role.

Swingman Stephen Jackson will be out a minimum of two weeks because of a strainedright hamstring he suffered in Monday's loss at Utah. An MRI taken Tuesday confirmed the injury, according to the team.

That means Maggette will have to log a bunch of minutes, be a leader on the floor and maybe even guard Kobe Bryant tonight in his second game back after missing the previous 15 with a strained right hamstring of his own. What's more, Maggette said his right knee still is a bit tender after he collided with a basket stanchion during Monday's game.

Still, Maggette's performance in Utah showed his scoring touch didn't suffer from the time off. He scored 23 points in 30 minutes, which pleased Warriors coach Don Nelson.

"Yeah, 23 points on nine shots. I think that's impressive," said Nelson, who expects Maggette to play between 30 and 35 minutes tonight.

"But I like the fact that he's willing to come off the bench. It was almost his idea. We were thinking along those terms and he came to the coaches and thought that might be a good thing. ... I was very impressed. He fit right in. He moved the ball the way we want. (The ball) didn't stop, and he had a good game besides that. So, yeah, I'm very encouraged by that."

The ball stopping in his hands has been the biggest criticism of Maggette as a Warrior. He has more missed 3-pointers (42) than assists (34) and was considered one of the causes for the selfish offense that forced Nelson to switch to a system focusing on ball movement after a blowout loss in San Antonio on Dec. 6.

But Maggette said his reputation as a gunner is more the curse of his being a scorer by nature than being selfish.

"If you look at every player in the league who scores the ball, there's always going to be someone telling you you're hogging, you're selfish," Maggette said. "Just think about it. Kobe's one of the best players in the world and they put it on him. They put it on Dwyane Wade. They put it on Michael Jordan. They put it on all these good players. ... At the end of the day, man, we're good at what we do — that's putting the ball in the hole."

im impressed that maggette is willing to come off the bench...

i cant believe he compares himself to jordan, wade, kobe etc...
Wish List

*New Owner and Management =D>
*Trade Monta
*Trade Maggette =D>
*Tank the season, get the top pick and draft Harrison Barnes
to be continued...
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:46 am
Why all these mentions, like Crawfords, that Maggs isnt a selfish PERSON..............WTF has that go to do with anything?

"He does things like get people stuff for Christmas," guard Jamal Crawford said. "He always tries to give teammates advice and encouragement. If he were a selfish person, he would keep to himself."

What a d*ck head.............talk about avoid the issue, or not understand it perhaps. :roll:

I dont give a crap what Maggs says or does.............he kills our offense, he kills all our other players's flow and rythm.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:55 am
bigstrads wrote:Why all these mentions, like Crawfords, that Maggs isnt a selfish PERSON..............WTF has that go to do with anything?

What a d*ck head.............talk about avoid the issue, or not understand it perhaps. :roll:

I dont give a crap what Maggs says or does.............he kills our offense, he kills all our other players's flow and rythm.

Reggrette ain't much better. Every quote I read from him leads me to believe he's seriously retarded. And I don't mean from a bball point of view.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:12 am
TMC wrote:
bigstrads wrote:Why all these mentions, like Crawfords, that Maggs isnt a selfish PERSON..............WTF has that go to do with anything?

Reggrette ain't much better. Every quote I read from him leads me to believe he's seriously retarded. And I don't mean from a bball point of view.

Careful.............you dont want Reggie coming after you! :mrgreen:

I agree though, he is seriously conceited, and so stuck in his ways...........he aint changing for no-one, he cant anyway even he wanted to and talking about him being in any kind of catagory with Wade, LeBron, Kobe or whatever............si just plain insanity and dillusion.

If he hadnt played on such a crappy team his whole career, Im sure he would be a half way rounded/decent player but hes always just been there to get his numbers and not worry about anything else.

Whatever, I dont give a crap about anything he does.

All Star
Poster Credit: 10
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:42 am
i'm still pissed off about coltraning calling me illiterate idiot (of course in a highly intelectual manner, but that doesn't change the fact), so i address it here -
dear COLTRAINING, with all due respect, please, don't ever come back on with arguments including your official status as a college teacher, your degree and things like that. they are bad arguments. and - more importantly - you chose the wrong guy: my second interest in field of philosophy after nietzsche was aesthetics, ****, i even stole monthly journals of aesthetics from uni's library to study them. i still got them in my balcony 5 years after i decided to quit university and go on alone with my interest in the field and making music besides for 14 years already. please, remember, that not only officially learned people know logic and how abstract thinking works.
it's one thing to disagree on some matters (like maggette), and completely another to come up with remarks that has do nothing on the subject. untill maggete proves he can change and do passing, not only his team-killing isos, i'm pretty full of knowledge to think he doesn't help us.
to make it clearer - maggette is a veteran, he won't change his ways,(at least not in a near future), nelson is a veteran (he won't change it as well), but their 'veteranism' is at odds - one is isos player, the other one is sharing the ball coach, at least that is how i understand run and gun.
this season shows more than enough how both of them trying to do things they never done before doesn't work.
peace!
"i wish i was a little bit taller" skee lo

All Star
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:52 am
after Maggs gets fouled, the look in his eyes is absolutely disgusting. it's a look of complete satisfaction and smugness. whether or not he makes the shot or not, he struts to the free throw line like a model on the fcuking runway. coincidentally, the free throw is unequivocally the most boring aspect of b-ball. hence maggs, get the f out.

two good things though:
1) the christmas presents were a nice touch. who doesn't like presents.
2) he was playing 3 on 3 with the scrubs when he was injured, which i thought was a pretty cool thing. i guess his head isn't too far up his rectal tubing.
I am Aussiebiedrins' fantasy. BITCH!
Jeg er ikke enig.... Jeg kan godt lide at spise din mors gris ben.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:41 pm
Kunlathep Chunjit wrote:i cant believe he compares himself to jordan, wade, kobe etc...

That's it, what a tosser

migya make the ring fall on ya

Return to News Articles