lakers grizz trade might mean monta leaving....

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:09 am
i found this artical hopefully it dont come true if it goes there i'd say pay monta before beans.

Pau Gasol traded to the Lakers: Why this is doubly bad for the Warriors
From Janny Hu.

Forget about those dreams of the Lakers sliding out of the playoff race. Not happening this year, next year, or for the next several years now that they've snagged Pau Gasol from Memphis for nothing. A Kobe-Pau-Bynum lineup, with possibly more help on the way? That's a scary, scary thought.

But so is this: The Grizzlies now have money to spend. Real money. And semi-local boy Monta Ellis just happens to be coming up on a new deal. Memphis is only a few hours drive from Jackson, Miss., and Monta usually has dozens of friends and family members making that trek to watch him play.

If the Grizzlies are serious about playing fast under coach Marc Iavaroni, who came from Phoenix, there might not be a quicker player in the league than Monta. And if the Grizzlies (or anyone) offers him a huge contract, it's going to put the Warriors in a tight spot -- deciding whether to match the offer, or forced to work out a sign-and-trade to avoid losing Monta for nothing.

Bottom line: There's now one more cash-carrying competitor the Warriors will have to watch out for this summer.
Clifford Rozier rememer him?

All Star
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:36 am
thats why we extend monta this summer while he still has one more year on his contract with us. id hate if monta went to the grizzlies.

oh n btw...you only gotta press submit once homie :wink:
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:40 am
Hey, buddy. Take it easy next time. Hitting the submit button one time works perfectly well... No need to create 3 threads for the same topic.

As for the article, it's absolutely retarted. That's only speculation from a journalist with nothing else to do than create drama. The kind of press that it's only done to sell and not to add any kind of info on a subject.

Truth is, Monta will be a restricted free agent, which means two things:

1.- Nobody can offer him more money than the Warriors. Nobody. No matter how much under the cap they are.

2.- We can match any offer any team makes for him. Any offer.

The only way he leaves is if Cohan doesn't want to pay him. But, so far, there have been no signs of that.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:04 am
I can definately see the Grizz going after Monta. He would fit well there and they would move MMiller, if not sooner, for expirers and go with Monta at SG and Gay at SF. They would need to draft a big this coming draft and then either get Warrick to become real good or look for one more real good big and they are back to being playoff caliber

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:06 pm
Man, we've got to keep Monta. I hope we open the wallet and shell out the buck. We need to keep this team together as much as possible!
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:09 pm
sleandres wrote:Man, we've got to keep Monta. I hope we open the wallet and shell out the buck. We need to keep this team together as much as possible!

foreal. i see all these teams spending massive bucks to piece together a championship team. we might have to do the same. if we dont, i'll still have faith that we can get to the promised land. we'll beat any team any night. we've all seen it before.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:38 am
Panic thread based on an unfaithful article written by a Grizzlie fanboy. Pipe dream, for Memphis. We're not losing Monta. Cohan would get rid of Biedrins, Harrington, Jackson, Wright... pretty much anyone but Baron to keep Monta.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:35 am
32 wrote:Panic thread based on an unfaithful article written by a Grizzlie fanboy. Pipe dream, for Memphis. We're not losing Monta. Cohan would get rid of Biedrins, Harrington, Jackson, Wright... pretty much anyone but Baron to keep Monta.

I'm not so sure he would get rid of Beidrins before Ellis...I mean obviously the goal is to keep both, but you have to keep the big man
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:16 pm
sleandres wrote:
32 wrote:Panic thread based on an unfaithful article written by a Grizzlie fanboy. Pipe dream, for Memphis. We're not losing Monta. Cohan would get rid of Biedrins, Harrington, Jackson, Wright... pretty much anyone but Baron to keep Monta.

I'm not so sure he would get rid of Beidrins before Ellis...I mean obviously the goal is to keep both, but you have to keep the big man

Last year I would have agreed with you, but not after Biedrins lack of improvement this year. A big man that hits his ceiling at 10 and 10 is not worth more than Monta. Those kinda bigs aren't a dime a dozen, but you could pick one up anywhere for just over the MLE... whereas Monta is the fastest player in the league. You keep him.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:24 pm
32 wrote:
sleandres wrote:

Last year I would have agreed with you, but not after Biedrins lack of improvement this year. A big man that hits his ceiling at 10 and 10 is not worth more than Monta. Those kinda bigs aren't a dime a dozen, but you could pick one up anywhere for just over the MLE... whereas Monta is the fastest player in the league. You keep him.

I still do not believe Biedrns is done developing...it may be because I really want him to get better, but nevertheless, he is only 21 and still has time to improve. If at 25 he is still only a 10-10 guy, I will admit I was wrong, but until then I will be stubborn :mrgreen:
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:58 am
TMC wrote:Hey, buddy. Take it easy next time. Hitting the submit button one time works perfectly well... No need to create 3 threads for the same topic.

As for the article, it's absolutely retarted. That's only speculation from a journalist with nothing else to do than create drama. The kind of press that it's only done to sell and not to add any kind of info on a subject.

Truth is, Monta will be a restricted free agent, which means two things:

1.- Nobody can offer him more money than the Warriors. Nobody. No matter how much under the cap they are.

2.- We can match any offer any team makes for him. Any offer.

The only way he leaves is if Cohan doesn't want to pay him. But, so far, there have been no signs of that.

I think the article understood these points though. The problem would be if they offered him a deal starting at 12. What would we do then? Match?

I am not really worried though.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:43 pm
cladden wrote:I think the article understood these points though. The problem would be if they offered him a deal starting at 12. What would we do then? Match?

I am not really worried though.

I really, really doubt they'd offer that kind of contract. If they do, we can always match, if Cohan wants to. 12 is overpaying a bit... but not that much.
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:32 pm
12 is overpaying A LOT. No way he ever gets that deal. Come on, an undersized, quick SG who isn't great on defense will not get that sort of contract. It should be below 10 million, lilke 7-8 probably. If he's offered 12, we gotta pass or that's gonna cripple our salary situation (and we might not be able to sign Andris).

All Star
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:15 pm
JayPat wrote:12 is overpaying A LOT. No way he ever gets that deal. Come on, an undersized, quick SG who isn't great on defense will not get that sort of contract. It should be below 10 million, lilke 7-8 probably. If he's offered 12, we gotta pass or that's gonna cripple our salary situation (and we might not be able to sign Andris).

i agree...if he gets offered 12 million, let him walk and own the grizzlies wallets. honestly, i dont think the grizzlies would try to get monta unless mike miller was already off their payroll. i am positive they wont pay 12 million for a scorer when they already have two in gay and miller.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:37 am
JayPat wrote:12 is overpaying A LOT.

It depens on the which kind of 12 million contract he signs. If the contract goes up to 16 or 17 million, that's overpaying a lot. If it stays around 12, that's overpaying a bit (because, if he signs an extension starting at 8-9 million, that one will increase each year, reaching those 12-13 million by the last few years of it).

Why would he sign a contrat that doesn't go up?. Because that would make it harder for us to match... it has happened before.

Which is not to say it's gonna happen. I really, really doubt he'll get that kind of offer, unless he can keep his current performance for the rest of the season AND has a great playoff run. But, right now, I think the logical outcome would be for him to sign an extension with us starting near those 8-9 million.

As for Mike Miller being traded, they're trying. They intend to build aroung Gay, Conley and this year's first rounder, and have as much salary cap available as possible. I expect Miller to be dealt somewhere during the next few days.
Next

Return to News Articles