Davis wants Warriors to make an early call.

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:48 am
By Peter May, Boston Globe Staff | September 23, 2007

Baron Davis looks as slim as he's ever looked.

"Just getting ready for training camp," he said. "It's the lightest I've ever been - under 213 - in a long time. I ain't been like that since my rookie year. I'm feeling good."

While lighter around the waist, the Golden State Warriors catalyst would like to be heavier in the wallet - and sooner rather than later. He technically has two years left on his contract, but he has a termination option for the 2008-09 season. He said he wants the matter cleared up before the start of training camp or else he plans to enter free agency next summer.

"There hasn't been too much talking. But in the next two weeks, I'm going to make a decision if I will re-sign or play the season out and be a free agent," he said.

"I know where I want to be. I know what I want to do. You just have to see if the team that you're playing for wants you the most. Hopefully, we'll find out that soon."

Through a spokesman, Golden State basketball boss Chris Mullin declined to comment.

This could all be posturing, of course, for Davis would be forfeiting a considerable chunk of change ($17.81 million) by opting out of his contract. This is not unlike the situation the Celtics faced last summer with Paul Pierce; they ended up giving him a max extension. One has to assume the Warriors are not so inclined, or something would have been done by now. Golden State is understandably concerned about Davis's durability; he has missed 47 games over the last two seasons with the Warriors and 130 over the last five with Golden State and the Hornets.

But Davis, who turned 28 last month, was indisputably the key player for the Warriors last season as they ended more than a decade of playoff drought - and then proceeded to shock the top-seeded Mavericks in the first round. Davis averaged 20.1 points and 8.1 assists in his first season under Don Nelson, who predicted Davis would have an All-Star year in his system. The playoffs were even better: 25.3 points a game.

Nelson is coming back and, at least for this season, will have Davis back as his starting point guard. And Davis sounds like he wants to remain where he is. He's a California kid at heart, growing up in South Central Los Angeles, attending high school in Santa Monica, and then spending two years at UCLA.

"I'm very happy there," he said. "That's the place I want to be. I feel like I'm starting something new and I want to finish on a great note. What better place to do it than a place that hasn't had that kind of recognition and that was in the dumps for years and years? And now we have something that everyone wants to be a part of Baron Davis looks as slim as he's ever looked. "Just getting ready for training camp," he said. "It's the lightest I've ever been - under 213 - in a long time. I ain't been like that since my rookie year. I'm feeling good."

While lighter around the waist, the Golden State Warriors catalyst would like to be heavier in the wallet - and sooner rather than later. He technically has two years left on his contract, but he has a termination option for the 2008-09 season. He said he wants the matter cleared up before the start of training camp or else he plans to enter free agency next summer.

"There hasn't been too much talking. But in the next two weeks, I'm going to make a decision if I will re-sign or play the season out and be a free agent," he said.

"I know where I want to be. I know what I want to do. You just have to see if the team that you're playing for wants you the most. Hopefully, we'll find out that soon."

Through a spokesman, Golden State basketball boss Chris Mullin declined to comment.

This could all be posturing, of course, for Davis would be forfeiting a considerable chunk of change ($17.81 million) by opting out of his contract. This is not unlike the situation the Celtics faced last summer with Paul Pierce; they ended up giving him a max extension. One has to assume the Warriors are not so inclined, or something would have been done by now. Golden State is understandably concerned about Davis's durability; he has missed 47 games over the last two seasons with the Warriors and 130 over the last five with Golden State and the Hornets.

But Davis, who turned 28 last month, was indisputably the key player for the Warriors last season as they ended more than a decade of playoff drought - and then proceeded to shock the top-seeded Mavericks in the first round. Davis averaged 20.1 points and 8.1 assists in his first season under Don Nelson, who predicted Davis would have an All-Star year in his system. The playoffs were even better: 25.3 points a game.

Nelson is coming back and, at least for this season, will have Davis back as his starting point guard. And Davis sounds like he wants to remain where he is. He's a California kid at heart, growing up in South Central Los Angeles, attending high school in Santa Monica, and then spending two years at UCLA.

"I'm very happy there," he said. "That's the place I want to be. I feel like I'm starting something new and I want to finish on a great note. What better place to do it than a place that hasn't had that kind of recognition and that was in the dumps for years and years? And now we have something that everyone wants to be a part of.

"For me, it's taking a team I've been with and struggled with for the last 2 1/2 years and we've been able to turn it around. We just have to see how much they trust me and want me."

The Warriors were, indeed, a tremendous story last season. Following a 1-point loss to Washington on March 4, the Warriors stood at 26-35. They beat the Pistons the next night in Auburn Hills, Mich., and proceeded to win 16 of their final 21 games (nine of their last 10) to claim the No. 8 spot with a 42-40 record. Not only did they beat Dallas, they could have given Utah more of a struggle had they made free throws in an overtime loss in Game 2.

But things have changed. The Warriors traded Jason Richardson to Charlotte for rookie Brandon Wright, which still has Davis shaking his head.

"It's going to be hard going forward where we're losing 20 points a game," Davis said. (Gee, he didn't seem nearly as upset that Adonal Foyle was released. Golden State has also said good-bye to Sarunas Jasikevicius, who was almost as unimportant as Foyle.)

"We have to wait and see," Davis said. "You have to trust management that they know what they're doing and go out and compete.

"We got our work cut out for us. It's not like it's going to be easier, it's going to be a lot harder. We have to focus on being together as a team. A lot of growth and maturity is going to have to take place early because we have a tough schedule."

They do indeed. There's a five-game Eastern swing in November, with a stop in Boston on the 21st. The first five home games are against Utah, Cleveland, Dallas, Detroit, and the Clippers. They won't be weighed down during the exhibition season; they play only seven games, and one of those is against an international team (Zalgiris Kaunas of Lithuania).

Long before then, Davis's self-imposed deadline will have passed. He'll either be the beneficiary of a contract extension or, if he's true to his word, be playing his final season for the Warriors.
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:19 am
Baron is thinner just to get a heavier wallet indeed! Fuk I don't like the attitude of players just showing face when it is time to get paid more. Will be a difficult situation because it sounds like he has an interest in going to another team. I think a trade is feasible, especially if he plays well this season and then plays heard ball and wants a max contract. Difficult decision but is he worth the max salary

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:29 am
migya wrote: Difficult decision but is he worth the max salary

No. But who is?. Duncan, Kobe, Lebron... maybe, just maybe, Wade. That's all. (Yeah, I know KG is not on that list).
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:56 am
TMC wrote:

No. But who is?. Duncan, Kobe, Lebron... maybe, just maybe, Wade. That's all. (Yeah, I know KG is not on that list).

KG should be on that list!

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:14 am
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:

Not after the last few years in Minny. You cannot make the playoffs, you're not a max player. Period. No matter how bad the team is. Playoffs are the minimum you have to ask a player to be considered a star. I don't care if they lose in the first round, but if you can't make it there, you're a tease. :wink:

There's someone I did forget and who should be there, tho. Steve Nash.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:35 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:

Not after the last few years in Minny. You cannot make the playoffs, you're not a max player. Period. No matter how bad the team is. Playoffs are the minimum you have to ask a player to be considered a star. I don't care if they lose in the first round, but if you can't make it there, you're a tease. :wink:

There's someone I did forget and who should be there, tho. Steve Nash.

I don't agree, KG was the only reason why the TWolves were anywhere near the playoffs and he is arguably the best player in the nba.

Nash does deserve max salary just for his valuableness

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:58 am
migya wrote:I don't agree, KG was the only reason why the TWolves were anywhere near the playoffs and he is arguably the best player in the nba.

That's not enough. There are lots of players that have that kind of impact in a team. Brand for the Clippers, Gasol for the Grizzlies... Those are examples of guys that, if healthy, have their respective teams contending for the playoffs. And their respective rosters aren't exactly full of all stars. You have to demand a lot more for a max player.

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:42 pm
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:I don't agree, KG was the only reason why the TWolves were anywhere near the playoffs and he is arguably the best player in the nba.

That's not enough. There are lots of players that have that kind of impact in a team. Brand for the Clippers, Gasol for the Grizzlies... Those are examples of guys that, if healthy, have their respective teams contending for the playoffs. And their respective rosters aren't exactly full of all stars. You have to demand a lot more for a max player.

if KG isnt on the list then i dont think duncan should be on the list. duncan has always had an incredible supporting cast. if he's had one like KG has had all these years then he prolly wouldnt have made the playoffs either. kg has statistically been better than duncan. when duncan wonthe first of his back to back MVP awards i honestly think that KG shoulda won.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:29 pm
EMan32 wrote:if KG isnt on the list then i dont think duncan should be on the list. duncan has always had an incredible supporting cast. if he's had one like KG has had all these years then he prolly wouldnt have made the playoffs either. kg has statistically been better than duncan. when duncan wonthe first of his back to back MVP awards i honestly think that KG shoulda won.

There's a big difference. The Spurs started to win titles when Duncan joined the team. That alone qualifies him to be on that list. KG has won nothing at all.

As for what could have happened if KG were in the Spurs instead of Duncan, that's a legit question, but that's not the case. Guess we could also say that Nash never played at his current level with the Mavs, and there's no discussion he should be on that list for what he has done with the Suns.

I think we have to go with what has happened so far, no with what could have happened. It may be unfair, but we cannot measure "what ifs".

Also, don't get mad at that list. It's only my opinion, and I've never been a big fan of KG.

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:26 pm
TMC wrote:
EMan32 wrote:if KG isnt on the list then i dont think duncan should be on the list. duncan has always had an incredible supporting cast. if he's had one like KG has had all these years then he prolly wouldnt have made the playoffs either. kg has statistically been better than duncan. when duncan wonthe first of his back to back MVP awards i honestly think that KG shoulda won.

There's a big difference. The Spurs started to win titles when Duncan joined the team. That alone qualifies him to be on that list. KG has won nothing at all.

As for what could have happened if KG were in the Spurs instead of Duncan, that's a legit question, but that's not the case. Guess we could also say that Nash never played at his current level with the Mavs, and there's no discussion he should be on that list for what he has done with the Suns.

I think we have to go with what has happened so far, no with what could have happened. It may be unfair, but we cannot measure "what ifs".

Also, don't get mad at that list. It's only my opinion, and I've never been a big fan of KG.

i was never mad...i mean this is just my opinion too...i just think that if kg isnt worth max contract then neither is tim duncan. yeah they started winning championships when duncan got there but same thing woulda happened if KG was there. i actually think that if KG was a spur then theyd have back to back rings. you throw duncan on the wolves and he doesnt bring them any further than KG did. again, just my opinion...plus i was never really a duncan fan. he just bores me
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:27 am
TMC wrote:

Well, Brand deserves max salary and Gasol seems like he now does too. KG has always been elite and the money should be paid to the best players, regardless of how their team's fair

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:10 am
EMan32 wrote:plus i was never really a duncan fan. he just bores me

That I can agree with. It's not my case, but I can see why he can look like a dull player for most people.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:16 am
migya wrote:Well, Brand deserves max salary and Gasol seems like he now does too.

By those standards, Baron is also a max player. I'm just assuming you can't pay max salary to everybody, just to handful of players that are better than everyone else at their jobs.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:01 am
TMC wrote:
EMan32 wrote:plus i was never really a duncan fan. he just bores me

That I can agree with. It's not my case, but I can see why he can look like a dull player for most people.

Duncan is the reason the Spurs won any of their championships! People talk about his supporting cast but the truth is, he has made Parker, Ginobili and any other fuker something and an nba career

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:03 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:Well, Brand deserves max salary and Gasol seems like he now does too.

By those standards, Baron is also a max player. I'm just assuming you can't pay max salary to everybody, just to handful of players that are better than everyone else at their jobs.

How to think that Baron is a max player? He hasn't been as good as Brand and even Gasol in his career (maybe s good as Gasol)

Next

Return to News Articles