The Warriors are down to one true point guard.

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:29 am
Warriors part ways with Jasikevicius
By Marcus Thompson II
MediaNews
Article Launched: 09/21/2007 01:55:06 AM PDT

The team reached a buyout agreement with Sarunas Jasikevicius on Thursday, leaving the Warriors with starter Baron Davis and Monta Ellis, who is more a combo guard, as the only point guards on the roster.

Jasikevicius, due to make $4 million this season, settled for less money in exchange for his freedom. The Warriors placed him on waivers, so he'll have to wait a week before becoming a free agent. It is unlikely a team will claim him off waivers in the next week because doing so would put the team on the hook for the entire $4 million.

Jasikevicius was part of the big January trade with Indiana that also brought Stephen Jackson, Al Harrington and Josh Powell to Oakland for Mike Dunleavy, Troy Murphy, Ike Diogu and Keith McLeod. But Jasikevicius never panned out.

He was too slow for Coach Don Nelson's up-tempo pace, and he never lived up to his reputation as a shooter. He played in 26 games for the Warriors last season, averaging 4.3 points and 2.3 assists in 11.9 minutes. He shot 39.8 percent from the field and 27.3 percent from three-point range, both career lows.

If he doesn't stay in the NBA, Jasikevicius might return to Europe. There have been reports from abroad about him signing with FC Barcelona in Spain or Olympiakos in Greece.

The Warriors have 14 players signed, including swingman Mickael Pietrus, to whom the Warriors extended a qualifying offer of

$3.47 million. With the Miami Herald reporting that the Miami Heat is done trying to trade for him, it looks as if Pietrus' best deal is to stay with the Warriors.
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:34 am
Waiting on actual buyout amount..

More moves still expected before Oct 1st :D
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:49 am
O.G. Broe wrote:Jasikevicius, due to make $4 million this season, settled for less money in exchange for his freedom.

That's more logical. The rumors about a buyout for the full amount made no sense. Mullin has been a lot more careful with the money lately. Why would he pay him the full contract to let him go?
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:52 am
TMC wrote:
O.G. Broe wrote:Jasikevicius, due to make $4 million this season, settled for less money in exchange for his freedom.

That's more logical. The rumors about a buyout for the full amount made no sense. Mullin has been a lot more careful with the money lately. Why would he pay him the full contract to let him go?

That's what I was thinking. Another PG is a must

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:01 am
It certainly seems as if money is a motivating factor here for the Ws. They probably feel they can get essentially the same performance with improved minutes from Monta and Biedrins, a full year of sjax and harrington, healthy and motivated BD and beli and wright, so it balances out the loss of jrich. I don't think one can overstate the 20 million dollar tax hit Cohan took in their calculations. They figure a 7th 8th seed, playing exciting ball will satisfy fans for another year, so I can understand why they don't want to trade pietrus' 3.47 for Jwill's larger contract, esp. since Nelson will only be here 2 more years max...
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:16 am
I still do think a backup PG is needed because one injury to a guard will really make things hard but the likes of Monta and SJackson can definately play PG a bit

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:10 pm
i honestly think the ball is going to be in belinelli's hands alot at backup point.
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:26 pm
ChronicallyInclined wrote:i honestly think the ball is going to be in belinelli's hands alot at backup point.

If the season started right now, I also think that he would be our second string point, but we wont go into the season with only one point guard, and I expect to sign someone in the next two weeks.
2007 - GoldenStWarriors.com "Rookie of the Year"
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:39 pm
ChronicallyInclined wrote:i honestly think the ball is going to be in belinelli's hands alot at backup point.

If Marco can handle it, why not but the nba on ball pressure might be too much for him and a backup PG is the best thing for the team

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:09 am

I'm not sure. Beli is just too trigger happy. I think he'll play a lot, but he'll probably play SG, with Baron and Monta sharing PG duties.

Return to News Articles