Warriors updates

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:22 pm
Don Nelson Might Not Come Back

Golden State Warriors coach Don Nelson, profoundly unhappy with the progress on his contract negotiations, plans on flying home to Hawaii and he may just stay there.

"I've had some nice talks with Bobby (Rowell, the Warriors team president) in the last several weeks," said John O'Connor, Nelson's lawyer. "Nothing's happened, but I'm still personally hopeful. Nellie has grown discouraged, however, and is soon on his way back to his hammock in Maui."

If Nelson does not return, Warriors' assistant Keith Smart could move up to head coach. However, among available coaches are Jeff Van Gundy, Larry Brown, Rudy Tomjanovich, Mike Fratello, and Paul Silas.

Pietrus wants to go to Heat

Restricted free agent small forward Mickael Pietrus' agent informed the Golden State Warriors that he prefers a sign-and-trade to the Miami Heat, and the Heat has been trying to find a third team with something the Warriors want.

Payton for sure is interested in the Warriors

Oakland native Gary Payton, unsigned for 2007-08 after playing last season with the Miami Heat, will make a decision on whether to continue playing or retire this week, his agent said Friday.

One option Payton might consider would be playing his 18th and final NBA season with the hometown Golden State Warriors.

"… or maybe he'll go to the Seattle SuperSonics and work in some sort of management position, or go into TV color commentary," Aaron Goodwin said.

I know some of these are common knowledge, but I just thought I'd add an update.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:21 am
sfsfsfgiants wrote:If Nelson does not return, Warriors' assistant Keith Smart could move up to head coach. However, among available coaches are Jeff Van Gundy, Larry Brown, Rudy Tomjanovich, Mike Fratello, and Paul Silas.

I still believe Nellie will be back. He's (probably) just trying to force the team into a deal soon.

Still, from that list, I only like Larry Brown and Fratello and both would be the opposite to Nellie. There's no way our current roster works with them. Not without major tweaking. I'm sure the front office knows that, so Keith Smart would become the coach by default. And that's a possibility I'd rather not explore.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:49 am
Which ever way it goes, Mullin has to keep things orderly. Payton would be good and my hope is that Mullin gets him. Keith Smart could do enough to keep the team competitive

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:49 pm
Nellie's creating the perfect plan. The Warriors front office knows how much Nelson is important because he's the only coach that is right for this job. Leaving for his hammock in Hawaii with the season beginning in two months could help Cohan finally decide to pay up. You can only wait for so long. Training camp and preparing for the season is real important because it's coming up very, very soon.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:22 pm
i hope keith smart gets promoted so that we can continue small ball
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:35 pm
8th ave wrote:i hope keith smart gets promoted so that we can continue small ball

Uhh...Nellie is back. Keith Smart is next in line, but wont be for a couple years yet.
2007 - GoldenStWarriors.com "Rookie of the Year"

Return to News Articles