The latest on Nelson and team from the Merc

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:48 pm
Warriors, Nelson yet to agree on contract
# With training camp a month away, talks remain stalled between the coach and the team
By Geoff Lepper

STAFF WRITER
Contra Costa Times
Article Launched:09/02/2007 03:02:01 AM PDT
OAKLAND -- Barely a month remains until the Warriors' 2007-08 training camp is scheduled to begin, and negotiations between the team and coach Don Nelson remain as they have for weeks: stalled out.

The two sides are scheduled to talk in the next few days with hopes of jump-starting a process that is threatening to fracture the franchise's most successful team in more than a decade. Golden State has secured the commitment of almost every key player from last season's 42-40 club, but without the man who got the best out of mercurial stars such as Stephen Jackson and Baron Davis, it might be all for naught.

"I have a lot of respect for (Warriors president) Bobby Rowell. Our talks are not over and I'm hopeful we can get it done," said John O'Connor, Nelson's attorney.

The only firm offer on the table is not going to get it done. The Warriors have suggested replacing the three-year contract worth $9.3 million in guaranteed salary that Nelson signed in August 2006 with new terms that call for $5.1 million in base salary and an additional $1.5 million in difficult-to-achieve bonuses for each of the next two seasons.

The sticking point is the team's desire to hold an option on 2008-09, while Nelson wants that base salary also to be fully guaranteed. To this point, neither side has formally broached the topic of a partial guarantee on that final year. Nor have there been any counteroffers to the team's initial proposal.

The Warriors feel that they deserve to have some say in whether or not they want to invest up to $6.6 million in Nelson in '08-'09, especially in light of his exit interview with media in May, when he cited fatigue and health concerns as possible reasons he wouldn't return this year. At 67, Nelson is the oldest active coach in the NBA.

Nelson brought the Warriors back to prominence last season somewhat on the cheap, given his stature. His $3.1 million base salary ranked in the bottom half of coaching contracts, although he earned $2 million in bonuses for making it to the playoffs and winning Golden State's first-round series against the Dallas Mavericks. A $5.1 million base salary would move him into the top third of coaches this upcoming season.

If neither side budges by Oct. 1, when the team is due to arrive on the north shore of Oahu, Nelson could ratchet up the urgency by declining to join the team at BYU-Hawaii.

That might put the $6.2 million he's guaranteed at risk on grounds of breach of his current contract, but it would also push the Warriors to the brink of having to let go of the only coach who's gotten them to the playoffs in the last two decades.

"I haven't even considered the possibility that he won't be (there)," Rowell said last week at an unveiling of the team's latest Reading and Learning Center, this one donated to a San Francisco elementary school. "Don Nelson is a great coach."

Notes: Golden State's veterans are mostly following their own offseason routines at home, but a few Warriors have been working out at the team's headquarters recently -- rookie forwards Brandan Wright and Stephane Lasme and first-year center Kosta Perovic. Mark Grabow, the team's director of athletic development, is orchestrating 21/2-hour sessions that include sprinting and running drills, weight work and some one-on-one battles. Wright said he had lost the extra pounds he'd put on as a result of inactivity caused by his hip injury earlier this summer, replacing them with muscle, and Perovic said his foot speed has improved. As for scouting reports, Wright said Perovic is a "solid big man" with a nice shooting touch for a 7-footer, while Perovic described Wright as being "tough to guard" because of his left-handedness.

Contact Geoff Lepper at glepper@bayareanewsgroup.com.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:26 am
This is taking too long. I'm pretty sure Nellie will be back, but what happens if he finally doesn't agree on a contract?. This talks should have ended by mid-july, not now. At this point of the season, it'd be a disaster if he decides to not coach next year.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:09 am
The team has got to follow through if they decide not to give Nelson more money. If Nelson doesn't coach this upcoming season, they should throw the book at him as he has an existing contract

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:51 am
He'll be back. I'm not worried at all.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:12 pm
i agree i'm not worried at all. he's not going to just bail a month before training camp. if he does decide to well, he can do whatever he wants he's one of the winningist coaches in NBA history. he's old and he's tired, he'd probably rather be at home drinking a beer with his dog lucky then getting tortured on a daily basis watching the W's shoot free throws.
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:50 pm
There's no question in my mind he'll be back. I agree--it's just a matter of how much they'll pay him. In the end, they gotta submit to whatever he wants though.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:22 am
I think they both have each other over a barrel. Nelson is 67, this is his last gig, and the Ws are the kind of high-voltage team he loves. Where else would he go except to retire in Maui? Also, who would want him if he walks away after breaking another contract? He doesn't want to leave that kind of legacy. However, Cohan and co need him just as much, since he is the only Ws coach to have success in two decades here and he has buy-in from Baron and Sjax. My guess is he gets more than his contract offer but not the whole monty (sorry to bring him up) :wink:
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:54 am
coltraning wrote:I think they both have each other over a barrel. Nelson is 67, this is his last gig, and the Ws are the kind of high-voltage team he loves. Where else would he go except to retire in Maui? Also, who would want him if he walks away after breaking another contract? He doesn't want to leave that kind of legacy. However, Cohan and co need him just as much, since he is the only Ws coach to have success in two decades here and he has buy-in from Baron and Sjax. My guess is he gets more than his contract offer but not the whole monty (sorry to bring him up) :wink:

Good point but I think Nelson holds the better cards. I think he's perfectly willing to calling it quits now. Cohan (and us) should be much more scared of that scenario than Nelson.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:58 am
cladden wrote:
coltraning wrote:I think they both have each other over a barrel. Nelson is 67, this is his last gig, and the Ws are the kind of high-voltage team he loves. Where else would he go except to retire in Maui? Also, who would want him if he walks away after breaking another contract? He doesn't want to leave that kind of legacy. However, Cohan and co need him just as much, since he is the only Ws coach to have success in two decades here and he has buy-in from Baron and Sjax. My guess is he gets more than his contract offer but not the whole monty (sorry to bring him up) :wink:

Good point but I think Nelson holds the better cards. I think he's perfectly willing to calling it quits now. Cohan (and us) should be much more scared of that scenario than Nelson.

Maybe. I do wonder if Nelson would care that he would leave a controversial legacy, having departed the Ws, the Knicks, the Mavs and then again the Ws under less than admirable circumstances...maybe not. I suspect he would like to depart at least having brought the Ws to the gates of glory.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:13 pm
coltraning wrote:I suspect he would like to depart at least having brought the Ws to the gates of glory.

If possible. But I really doubt he cares about how he leaves. He seems to be a guy that cares more about himself than the image other people have of him (and I'm not criticizing him. Actually, I do agree to a certain extent).

If it comes to that, I think he'd think twice due to the... let's call it "the knack of coaching". Not what anyone would think about him.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:17 pm
As long as he has a bottle of scotch on his cabinet waiting for him, Nelson doesn't give a rat's arse about what anyone thinks :wink:

migya make the ring fall on ya

Return to News Articles