Warriors: Jasikevicius Buyout on the Table?

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:45 pm
By Preetom Bhattacharya
for HOOPSWORLD.com
Aug 29, 2007, 19:03

Two weeks, ago, reports out of Greece had surfaced that Sarunas Jasikevicius' agent was working on a deal with Olympiacos of the Greek league. This week, Jasikevicius was on Israeli radio and denied that rumor.

Now, according to league sources, Jasikevicius is in Lithuania working out and has confided with others that the Warriors have had a buyout offer on the table all summer. The amount of the buyout is rumored to be $250,000, far from the $4-million salary Jasikevicius guaranteed himself by picking up his player option earlier this summer.

Per team policy, the Warriors declined to comment on any buyout rumors; however, a league source indicated that the Warriors expect Jasikevicius to join the team in Hawaii for training camp in October.

Jasikevicius, who averaged only 1.5 minutes per game during the Warriors' Cinderella playoff run, told the Israeli radio station that his agent has given the Warriors several options that would allow him to play for another team, including possible trades, but the Warriors didn't like any deal. According to sources, Jasikevicius has told players he is working out with that he has no interest in playing in Europe and wants to play for an NBA that wants him.

"NBA is strange a lot of times," Jasikevicius said. "I would think if they didn't want a player, they'd get rid of a player."

Earlier this summer, Jasikevicius declined the opportunity to become a free agent by not opting out of his contract, which would have allowed him to become an unrestricted free agent. At this point, Jasikevicius remains a Warrior until he either accepts the rumored paltry buyout offer, which would provide the Warriors with more cushion away from the luxury tax, or the team finds a willing trade partner that provides them with a player that fits Don Nelson's system at a reasonable salary.

Sources have indicated that Jasikevicius has been unhappy that he didn't get the playing time he felt he deserved in a run-and-gun, free-flowing system. Jasikevicius has said in the past that he feels he can excel in a scheme with a higher tempo, likely adding to his frustration.

In spring, Jasikevicius made it very clear that the Warriors would be silly in trying to bring him back next season. "Obviously, it doesn't make sense to keep me here, that's for sure," said Jasikevicius. "I make too much money to be the third point guard."

Jasikevicius may easily find a new home because of his shooting ability and the fact that he has been a solid floor general in his career with European clubs and his Lithuanian national team. Plenty of teams are still in the market for a cheap, solid point guard option, including the Cleveland Cavaliers, Miami HEAT, and Boston Celtics.

It is important to note that although the offer is rumored to be on the table, nothing is necessarily imminent, especially when considering how low the buyout offer is in comparison to the salary Jasikevicius is guaranteed.

More on this story as it develops ..
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:32 pm
Again, Jask staying was all his doing as he opted to stay for the final year of his contract. It was a player option and he took it for the money. If the team offers him 250,000 dollars, he should see it as a result of HIS decision to take the final year. I reckon he will stay and collect the 4 million

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:27 am
Interesting. He'll get paid twice this way. We save some money, and he'll make a lot more.

If nobody offers him at least $3 million in the NBA, he'll go to Greece where he'll be paid as a star... It's a win-win situation for both the Dubs and him.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:26 am
TMC wrote:Interesting. He'll get paid twice this way. We save some money, and he'll make a lot more.

If nobody offers him at least $3 million in the NBA, he'll go to Greece where he'll be paid as a star... It's a win-win situation for both the Dubs and him.

O.K. - probably not too likely anyone on this board makes 250,000 a year, but I guess possible. However, hands up who would choose 250,000 over 4,000,000? I think TMC is right, however, the Ws may hold on to him to use as an expiring contract, so I certainly don't blame them for not wanting to pay a big buyout when he has expiring value. As for his bitch about not being allowed to play in a run and gun, that seems pretty hilarious when you remember how he couldn't handle the pace this year. I think he had a total of one good game with the Ws, and that was against the slowest team in the league, the cleveland cavs. BTW, thanks for keeping it interesting this summer w/ the articles, broe!
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:34 pm
Like I said, 250,000 buyout is a great thing for the team as it saves money. Best to trade Jask in a deal for a contributor but doesn't look like it will happen so this buyout is good

migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:58 pm
coltraning wrote:BTW, thanks for keeping it interesting this summer w/ the articles, broe!
It's all good, I have GSW & hoops top info sites set as favorites on my computer & when I read something with insight on the Warriors I like to get the feedback from fellow board members here while also help with informing the uninformed :thumbright:
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....

Return to News Articles