Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:24 am
Reggie Miller stays retired after being courted by Celtics
By HOWARD ULMAN, AP Sports Writer
August 24, 2007

BOSTON (AP) -- Reggie Miller is staying retired, passing on a chance to turn the Big Three of the Boston Celtics into the Fabulous Four.

Miller told the Celtics his decision after having several conversations with Danny Ainge, Boston's executive director of basketball operations, during the past two weeks, team spokesman Jeff Twiss said.

The NBA's career leader in 3-pointers turned 42 on Friday and has spent the last two seasons out of the NBA after retiring from an 18-year pro career, entirely with the Indiana Pacers. He never won an NBA championship, and the overhauled Celtics are considered contenders.

"Danny and Reggie have been pretty much in communication periodically over the last few weeks or so," Twiss said Friday. "Danny informed me that (Miller) will not be coming back or out of retirement.

"I think it's Reggie's news, Reggie's comeback type of thing. But if that's his decision, then I think we certainly respect his decision and appreciate his consideration of even attempting to come back."

Ainge's discussions with Miller surfaced after the Celtics obtained 2004 NBA MVP Kevin Garnett from Minnesota on July 31. They already had traded for shooting guard Ray Allen, a seven-time All-Star, on the day of the NBA draft. Those two join Paul Pierce, who has spent all nine of his NBA seasons with Boston, to make a formidable threesome in the Eastern Conference, which was mediocre last season.

Miller told the Indianapolis Star, in a story published Friday, that he would not return to the NBA with any team.

"Physically, I know I could have done it," he told the newspaper. "But mentally, when you do something like this, you've either got to be all in or all out. And I've decided I'm all out."

Last season, Miller was a television analyst for NBA and WNBA games on the TNT network. He has run a movie production company called Boom Baby Productions since retiring. He's also co-hosted "Live with Regis and Kelly."

"Everything he had to say was in that story," a TNT spokesman said.

On Tuesday, at a charity bowling event in Indianapolis, Miller said, "I don't even know what I'm going to do" about coming out of retirement.

The Pacers retired Miller's No. 31 after a career in which he scored 25,279 points, 13th most in NBA history.

The Celtics viewed Miller as a substitute who could come off the bench to provide offense. They were 24-58 last season and missed the playoffs but are considered serious contenders in the NBA East.

The Celtics have added forward Scot Pollard and guard Eddie House since obtaining Garnett but still lack depth. Their two starters besides Garnett, Allen and Pierce are point guard Rajon Rondo and center Kendrick Perkins, both young and unproven.

Really thought Miller was going to play for the Celts this season and give himself the best chance to win a championship. Guess doing commentary is his cup of tea :mrgreen:

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:21 am
I think it's better this way. He did his part with the Pacers. It would have been sad to see him come back to try to win a ring as merely a role player with the Celtics. I don't think a ring is worth that much...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:39 am
It would have been sad but he must have been real tempted. After Karl Malone went against his word from 1995 and left the Jazz in pursuit of a championship, I thought many stars would follow suit, wanting to get that elusive championship but Miller showed some class by not doing so

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:25 am
Yeah good decision Reggie. If anything I rather end my career with the team I started on. I don't like it when old timers come back unless its for the ring. Guys like Jordan and Kemp just need to leave the game and keep their legacy in tact. But hey, it's all for the love of the game!
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:24 am
also, even though the celtics, thanks to the 2 western conference transplants, are now the faves in the East, you still have to favor the spurs, suns and mavs over them in a finals (assuming the mavs don't face the warriors again). so there was no lock reggie was going to get any further than losing in the finals, which is a place he's already been.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:30 am
The West powers still are better than the Celts (unless the Celts can prove otherwise) but it looked to be a better team than Miller has ever been on

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:15 am
Yeah, I agree. The West still has couple teams that can defeat the Celtics. They'd have to put up a fight of course, but still. If Miller wanted more of a sure thing to win a ring, he would go to the Spurs instead.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:31 am
My respect for Reggie Miller just keeps rising and rising.

I'm glad he decided not to pull a Mitch Richmond. Reggie's had an amazing career that he can be proud of. And he did it in old school style: with ONE team. Way to stay true to Indy, Reg'.

I'm also glad we'll be hearing more of his commentary, as Reggie was the best color guy I've heard call a Warriors' game in a long, looong time...
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Return to News Articles