Possible big time scandle in the NBA

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 6145
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:13 am
Location: looking down at the Warriors practice facility
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:24 am
Looks like an NBA ref has been connected in an organized gambling ring and may have been manipulating scores with his calls. That would be HUGE news.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07202007/news/columnists/nba_in_a_fix_columnists_murray_weiss.htm
_____________________________________________________
http://WWW.GOLDENSTATEWARRIORS-RT.COM
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 5756
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:40 am
Location: On the couch watching sports
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:33 am
badabing8888 wrote:Looks like an NBA ref has been connected in an organized gambling ring and may have been manipulating scores with his calls. That would be HUGE news.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07202007/news/columnists/nba_in_a_fix_columnists_murray_weiss.htm


Stuff like this is the kind of thing that taints your sport. :|
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 6145
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:13 am
Location: looking down at the Warriors practice facility
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:08 am
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
badabing8888 wrote:Looks like an NBA ref has been connected in an organized gambling ring and may have been manipulating scores with his calls. That would be HUGE news.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07202007/news/columnists/nba_in_a_fix_columnists_murray_weiss.htm


Stuff like this is the kind of thing that taints your sport. :|


Absolutely. Certainly something to keep an eye on
_____________________________________________________
http://WWW.GOLDENSTATEWARRIORS-RT.COM
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1266
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:50 pm
Location: Alameda
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:05 pm
The court has always seemingly felt tipped, now we just know why.

Of all the sports NBA refs have the greatest say in the outcome of the game. It is the only sport with an infraction limit which can cripple a team if a player fouls out.

This has the potential to blow up big time. I hope the NBA does an internal investigation into this, at the very least. It is about time that the aura of objectivity is removed from the NBA referee body as a whole.
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 6145
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:13 am
Location: looking down at the Warriors practice facility
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:19 pm
Thunder wrote:The court has always seemingly felt tipped, now we just know why.

Of all the sports NBA refs have the greatest say in the outcome of the game. It is the only sport with an infraction limit which can cripple a team if a player fouls out.

This has the potential to blow up big time. I hope the NBA does an internal investigation into this, at the very least. It is about time that the aura of objectivity is removed from the NBA referee body as a whole.


I would add the NFL refs can influence a game tremendously as well. They could throw the flag for holding almost anytime they want and wipe out HUGE plays.

As a Seahawk fan, I saw first hand in the SuperBowl what shitty officiating can do.
_____________________________________________________
http://WWW.GOLDENSTATEWARRIORS-RT.COM
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1266
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:50 pm
Location: Alameda
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:27 pm
The wiping out of plays is harsh, but if a lineman gets 4 holding calls in a game he isn't done for the day (well, at least not by the rules. The coach might bench him at that point as well).

I guess with other sports you can work around it and keep playing but in basketball it takes 6 whistles to end your day . . . or just a set of Ts. I'd be willing to bet that basketball, by percentage and rate, has more players tossed or deemed no longer able to play by rules infractions than any other sport. The loss of players, to me, outweighs all else in tipping the field.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21441
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:11 pm
This really could have huge effects on the game
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:44 pm
These are the things that affect how a sport is seen.

Steve Nash's joke was priceless about how he said, "Oh God, was a ref that officiated game five the Suns/Spurs series?" Ah man, doesn't that get you thinking...

Maybe he referee'd a game during the Warriors/Jazz series also? :shock:
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13539
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:56 am
Why am I not surprised to hear this...? :?
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image

Return to News Articles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron