Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:22 pm
Francis to return to Rockets
By KRISTIE RIEKEN, AP Sports Writer
July 19, 2007

HOUSTON (AP) -- Steve Francis is returning to the Rockets.

Francis has agreed to a deal with Houston, his agent Jeff Fried said Thursday.

Before he was traded to Orlando in 2004 as part of a multiplayer deal that brought Tracy McGrady to the Rockets, Francis spent his first five NBA seasons with the Rockets.

He was sent to the Knicks in early 2006 and played for them until he was traded to Portland last month in a draft-night deal. The Trail Blazers bought out his contract for a reported $30 million last week, making him an unrestricted free agent.

"We're extremely pleased that he's going back to Houston," Fried said. "Houston has always been home for Steve since he entered the NBA."

Fried said the buyout from Portland allowed Francis more freedom in choosing a team based on factors other than money. He would not release terms of the deal, but said other teams offered more lucrative contracts.

Miami, Dallas and the Los Angeles Clippers were interested in the 30-year-old guard.

"When you look back at a few months ago and the status of things and fast forward to today, it's really something that probably could not have been planned or implemented any better," Fried said.

Fried said Francis chose the Rockets because of his "comfort factor" with the team and because he believes he can be a "meaningful participant in the overall success" in Houston.

Francis played just 44 games for the Knicks last season while dealing with injuries, averaging a career-low 11.3 points. The three-time All-Star has averaged 18.4 points and 6.1 assists in his eight-year NBA career.

Francis has maintained a home in Houston since signing with the Rockets his rookie season and spent time in the city last season while recovering from a knee injury.

Yet another PG for Houston but this is a great signing! Francis might even play a bit of SG or the Rockets wil look to trade one of MJames or Alston or both. Francis goes back home and the Rockets might just have become the favourites for the championship

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:45 pm
The Rockets are going to be really good this year. :x
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:46 pm
How much is he being paid? I heard he received a cheap salary. Good for Houston. The Franchise returns back to H-Town cheaper. He's not the same Steve Francis couple years back, but a team of James, Francis, McGrady, Hayes, and Yao is a pretty solid starting five.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:11 am
xbaywarrior wrote:How much is he being paid?

Two years, just $6 million. I think it's the best signing of the offseason so far. He's a bargain at that price. Alston seems to be the odd man out right now. I wouldn't be surprised if he's traded.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:10 am
TMC wrote:

Two years, just $6 million. I think it's the best signing of the offseason so far. He's a bargain at that price. Alston seems to be the odd man out right now. I wouldn't be surprised if he's traded.

Surprised he didn't sign for 1 million a year since he got alot of money in the buyout

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:35 am
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:

Surprised he didn't sign for 1 million a year since he got alot of money in the buyout

Yeah, but maybe that was the initial proposal of the Rockets, hoping to beat other teams.

Actually, Miami's offer was higher, but Francis talked with Adelman about his role on the team and seems like that sealed the deal.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:02 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:

Yeah, but maybe that was the initial proposal of the Rockets, hoping to beat other teams.

Actually, Miami's offer was higher, but Francis talked with Adelman about his role on the team and seems like that sealed the deal.

We'll probably see him play SG. Alston will start at PG. Though I've heard rumors of Alston being the odd man out.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:35 am
xbaywarrior wrote:We'll probably see him play SG. Alston will start at PG. Though I've heard rumors of Alston being the odd man out.

What I've read is that Francis and Mike James will be the backcourt, with Alston being shopped around...
Last edited by TMC on Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:40 am
TMC wrote:
xbaywarrior wrote:We'll probably see him play SG. Alston will start at PG. Though I've heard rumors of Alston being the odd man out.

What I've read is that Francis and Mike James will be the backcourt, with Alston being shopped around...

Francis is a far better PG than MJames. They should trade both MJames and Alston and try to get a far more playmake first PG if they want Francis at SG

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:18 am
migya wrote:Francis is a far better PG than MJames. They should trade both MJames and Alston and try to get a far more playmake first PG if they want Francis at SG

I've always thought that Francis would be better at SG than at PG. And I like Mike James (even tho he was overpaid by Minny when he signed there).

As for a pass first PG... I don't think it matters much for a team like Houston. T-Mac and Francis will handle the ball so much that a good shooter would help more than a real PG. He wouldn't have the ball, anyways...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:49 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:Francis is a far better PG than MJames. They should trade both MJames and Alston and try to get a far more playmake first PG if they want Francis at SG

I've always thought that Francis would be better at SG than at PG. And I like Mike James (even tho he was overpaid by Minny when he signed there).

As for a pass first PG... I don't think it matters much for a team like Houston. T-Mac and Francis will handle the ball so much that a good shooter would help more than a real PG. He wouldn't have the ball, anyways...

That's true. A shooter would be the best thing for the Rockets now and I don't see either MJames or Alston as that, though they have their moments

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:12 am
migya wrote:That's true. A shooter would be the best thing for the Rockets now and I don't see either MJames or Alston as that, though they have their moments

I think James fits that role pretty well, actually.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:11 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:That's true. A shooter would be the best thing for the Rockets now and I don't see either MJames or Alston as that, though they have their moments

I think James fits that role pretty well, actually.

James' shooting is not consistent. The Rockets are better off trading him for a better shooter. Wally Szcerzbiak would be nice for them

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:02 am
Again, expected.

I know a lot of people thought Francis would go to a contender, but this makes a lot more sense. He can play a bigger role in Houston than he can on any contender... and his presence pretty much makes them a contender. If Francis can go back to being Stevie Franchise again, Houston's now got a deadly threesome in Yao, Francis, and McGrady.

I can see Houston having a one-hit year similar to the Utah Jazz next season...
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:24 am
Utah will continue to be a very good team and even get better as they are still young. The Rockets were already a contender but now with Francis, if he gets back to normal, they are one of the favourites if not the favourite

Next

Return to News Articles