Barnes frustrated with lack of offers

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:53 pm
Yeah. If I were any team looking at Matt, I'd pay for only one year. He's not worth the risk.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:57 pm
xbaywarrior wrote:Yeah. If I were any team looking at Matt, I'd pay for only one year. He's not worth the risk.

If they sign him to a two-three year deal and he turns out to be a bust, you are stuck with him for three-four million a year. One year is alright because if he turns out to be a bust, you can get rid of him. I hope that is what the Warriors do. If he did the same this year as he did last year, that is the situation where they can give him a multiyear deal.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:27 am
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
xbaywarrior wrote:Yeah. If I were any team looking at Matt, I'd pay for only one year. He's not worth the risk.

If they sign him to a two-three year deal and he turns out to be a bust, you are stuck with him for three-four million a year. One year is alright because if he turns out to be a bust, you can get rid of him. I hope that is what the Warriors do. If he did the same this year as he did last year, that is the situation where they can give him a multiyear deal.

Exactly. If the Warriors are going to spend the full MLE on Barnes, it better be only for a year. If Mullin is offering him 2-3 mil, I don't mind a multiyear deal. Nothing more, anything less. :wink:
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:13 am
We're not gonna pay him the full MLE. That's too much for a player that has only one good season in his career. And as a backup, to make matters worse.

I'd say our limit is around 3 or 3.5 million, not more.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:08 am
xbaywarrior wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:

Exactly. If the Warriors are going to spend the full MLE on Barnes, it better be only for a year. If Mullin is offering him 2-3 mil, I don't mind a multiyear deal. Nothing more, anything less. :wink:

Barnes at 3 million a year for three years is ideal because you don't want him leaving or demanding much more money if he repeats what he did last season in only a one year deal

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:16 am
migya wrote:
xbaywarrior wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:

Barnes at 3 million a year for three years is ideal because you don't want him leaving or demanding much more money if he repeats what he did last season in only a one year deal

But what happens if we give him a full time starting job, and he busts and averages 6-3-1. He will be a bench warmer the rest of his time here.

I would say three years with a team option after the first year.
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:09 pm
There is no way he is going to sign a 1 year contract coming off a career year. Migya had it right with 3 mil for 3 years and I would add a player and team option for year four (where they both had to agree on it). That way he gets financial security and W's don't committ too much for too long. As trite as it is, 3 mil isn't that much in the NBA, considering teams are paying players 5 times that amount to not play for them.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:05 pm
Thunder wrote:There is no way he is going to sign a 1 year contract coming off a career year. Migya had it right with 3 mil for 3 years and I would add a player and team option for year four (where they both had to agree on it). That way he gets financial security and W's don't committ too much for too long. As trite as it is, 3 mil isn't that much in the NBA, considering teams are paying players 5 times that amount to not play for them.

Yea, three years isn't exactly a long time to commit to a player, especially at three milion a year only. Even if Barnes does become a pretty useless player, it is only three years and he can get stuck deep down the bench and Mullin can still sign another player for a similar amount

migya make the ring fall on ya
Previous

Return to News Articles