Barnes frustrated with lack of offers

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:30 am
Matt Barnes has wanted to hold his own basketball camp for children in the Sacramento area but had a goal in mind beforehand.

"I really wanted to establish myself in the league before having a camp," he said of the gathering scheduled for next Monday through Friday at Rocklin High School. "It's a way of giving back to kids in the area and also meet some of the guys I'm bringing in to see them."

Barnes, 27, played a major role last season in the Warriors' upset of top-seeded Dallas in the first round of the Western Conference playoffs.

He played in 76 regular-season games with the Warriors and each of the 11 playoff games against the Mavericks and the Utah Jazz.

In three previous seasons with the Los Angeles Clippers, Kings, New York Knicks and Philadelphia 76ers, he played no more than 56 games. For the first time, Barnes can anticipate having a job and financial security.

The midlevel exception of $5.356 million seemed a realistic salary starting point in the eyes of many, including Barnes. In a departure from his usual steady, low-key approach, Barnes left agent Bill Neff, who had beaten many a bush over the past few seasons to get Barnes into veteran training camps, to sign with agent Dan Fegan, who just happened to have fellow Warriors Stephen Jackson and Jason Richardson (since traded to Charlotte).

"I was talking to a lot of people who were telling me that I needed a big-time agent to get that big money," Barnes said Wednesday evening. "That's the main reason I decided to change agents. It wasn't anything that (Neff) did or didn't do. We'll see if that was a smart decision or not. Basically, it was just me analyzing my situation."

Wednesday was the first day teams could sign free agents, and Barnes said he has not received the offers he anticipated.

"Right now, there's nothing happening," he said. "I was thinking the midlevel exception was realistic, but my agent has been telling me teams have questioned whether the success I had was because of (Warriors coach Don) Nelson's system and whether or not I could have the same success in another system.

"It's pretty frustrating because I thought I had a good year," said Barnes, who averaged 9.8 points, 4.6 rebounds and 2.1 assists and shot 43.8 percent from the field, including 36.6 percent from three-point range, in 23.9 minutes per game during the regular season. "It was not a great season, but it was good. And from what other players have received, I thought I'd be right there in that mix. But Golden State has not come around to what I thought they might, so we'll just have to wait and see what happens."

Barnes has spent the early portion of his NBA career working to improve during the offseason. Nelson showed a lot of faith and confidence in him, and that paid off for both during the playoffs, when Barnes shot 45 percent from the field (42.2 percent from three-point range) in 30 minutes per game.

Barnes will have many experiences to share with the participants at his camp, which Rocklin High coach Steve Taylor will run.

"Steve coached my team in the Optimist Game my senior year in high school," Barnes said. "I know it's the first year of the camp, so it might be a little rough. And a lot of the organization on this one was done without me because of the playoffs, but I think things are looking better and better."

Barnes said there will be two sessions daily. Seventh- through 10th-graders will work from 1 to 4 p.m., and fourth- through sixth-graders will go from 5 to 8 p.m. The cost will be $175 per participant, he said, and kids can register the day of the camp.

"I couldn't afford to go to any camp when I was young, so I wanted to make sure it was a realistic price," he said.

For more information, call (916) 632-1053.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:45 am
Mullin must really be working a big trade because he hasn't even looked to offer Barnes anything. Glad that he hasn't received any other offers because that will mean that he is mre likely to stay and for cheaper as well

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:58 am
As I said in another thread, this is typical. Barnes had one good season... and his biggest weapon was the riskiest statistic in all of basketball: the 3-point shot, which he didn't have coming into this season. If Barnes' season proves to be a one-hit wonder, teams don't wanna pay this guy $5 million a year. That's understandable. Would you pay Barnes $5 million, if he didn't have a 3-point shot? I don't think anybody would pay more than $2 million a year for him, if that were the case...
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:49 pm
Barnes was good at many things last season, from passing to rebounding to scoring in a variety of ways. He is also a very good defender. He is worth 5 million and that is much cheaper than other players who did not perform as god as he did are getting

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:16 am
Barnes was good at a little bit of everything. But he's only played like that for one season.

And its not like teams haven't gotten a good look at him before. He played 20 minutes a game for the Clippers... and 17 a game for the Kings. He got plenty of minutes coming into this season... the only difference is that he thrived in Don Nelson's system.

I'd love to see Barnes resigned in Golden State... but you have to understand why its taking so long. What if the Warriors use their MLE on him and he goes back to shooting 22% from beyond the arc...? Now what? We've signed a mediocre, backup SF to a multiyear deal? That would be insane. The team is right to try and whittle down his asking price. He's a gamble.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:24 pm
If he doesn't get any offer, that's only good news for us. He'll come back cheaper...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:26 pm
My thoughts exactly.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:51 pm
True that Barnes could return to being less than what he was last season but players get evaluated by what they did their previous season. Barnes is not being offered much by any other team so far and that bodes well to get him back for some 3 million no more. I'd sign him for ust three years, that way if he doesn't repeat what he did last season, he is gone soon anyway

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:12 pm
migya wrote:players get evaluated by what they did their previous season.

Bullshit.

That's so wrong on so many levels, I can't even respond to it. Its absolutely insane to claim that teams don't look at a player's history when taking into consideration whether or not they want to offer him a contract.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:30 pm
32 wrote:
migya wrote:players get evaluated by what they did their previous season.

Bullshit.

That's so wrong on so many levels, I can't even respond to it. Its absolutely insane to claim that teams don't look at a player's history when taking into consideration whether or not they want to offer him a contract.

The list of players that have been given a big contract as a result of what they did the previous season is so numerous.

To name a few recent ones - Dampier, Mike James, Kirilenko, Mike Bibby, Joe Johnson, Brad Miller etc!

A player has a good season and GMs shell out big money to get that player who they hope can continue that

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:33 am
GM's are willing to stretch a little more on big men, which is why the Dampier and Brad Miller signings don't look too crazy. Big men have always been overpaid. Foyle. Mclvain. Big Country Reeves. Zo. Jon Koncak. The list goes on and on.

Joe Johnson, Andrei Kirilenko, and Mike Bibby are damn good players. There's nothing wrong with their deals.

Mike James is your only valid example... and who signed him? The Minnesota Timberwolves, aka a poor team in a bad location that HAD to overpay for a free agent.

If the past means nothing, then why don't the Warriors just hand Baron a contract extension? Why didn't Grant Hill get major, long-term offers? Why are people hesitant to sign players like Matt Barnes?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:44 pm
Kirilenko is a perfect example of a player that had a great season and got paid long term for it. That happens all the time it is just that now it is made harder for teams to sign other teams' free agents and the luxury tax is getting to many owners as well. Go back a few years and Barnes would have been offered a fat contract by another team by now

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:49 am
Getting back to the thread's topic, Matt Barnes has been contacted by the Grizzlies. To what extent are they interested, I'm not sure... but they apparently are after Barnes and Udoka and will try to sign one of them.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:18 am
If Barnes if offered the MLE or thereabouts, he's gone

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:44 am
That's right. He'll go anywhere that will overpay him.
Next

Return to News Articles