Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:47 am
Bobcats, leading scorer Wallace reach agreement
July 11, 2007
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Gerald Wallace and the Bobcats reached an agreement in principle that would keep the team's leading scorer in Charlotte, executive vice president of basketball operations Bernie Bickerstaff said Wednesday.

"There's still some paperwork issues to work out before we can get everything signed, but we're happy," Bickerstaff told the Associated Press. "It's been a collaborative effort on both sides."

Wallace, who turns 27 later this month, led the Bobcats with 18.1 points per game last season. He also averaged 7.2 rebounds, 2.6 assists and 2.0 steals in 72 games.

Wallace became an unrestricted free agent last month, and the Bobcats faced heavy competition in their efforts to re-sign the forward. But Bobcats part-owner Michael Jordan had said keeping Wallace was one of the team's top offseason priorities.

"Gerald's excited to go back to Charlotte and be a part of a young, athletic team with an ownership group committed to building a winning team," Wallace's agent, Rob Pelinka, said late Wednesday.

Bickerstaff declined to disclose any details of Wallace's contract. Wallace's agent, Rob Pelinka, said late last season that he and his client were seeking a six-year deal. Pelinka did not immediately return a call Wednesday evening seeking comment.

At least eight teams had pursued Wallace once the free-agency period began July 1. But Wallace, who was one of the Bobcats' first players, said late in the season that he wanted to stay in Charlotte.

Wallace spent three seasons with the Sacramento Kings after they made him their first-round draft pick in 2001. The Bobcats then picked the 6-foot-7 Wallace from the Kings' roster in the 2004 expansion draft. Since then, Wallace has blossomed after being a reserve at Sacramento.

Wallace posted the best offensive season of his career last season after averaging 11.1 and 15.2 points in his first two seasons with the Bobcats. He also became the first NBA player in 14 years to average 2.0 blocks and 2.0 steals in a season.

Re-signing Wallace will mean an even stronger roster for the Bobcats, who already acquired shooting guard Jason Richardson from the Golden State Warriors last month and re-signed free agent guard Matt Carroll.

Though the deal with Carroll was announced last week, Bickerstaff said Wednesday that some paperwork issues still needed to be resolved. Agent Paul Nadel said last week that Carroll is expected to sign the deal after he returns this week from a trip to China.

The Bobcats have yet to reach a long-term deal with power forward Emeka Okafor, who is eligible to receive an extension of his rookie contract. Charlotte has until Oct. 31 to sign an extension with Okafor, who averaged 14.4 points and was the team's top rebounder with 11.3 per game.

Bickerstaff said Wednesday that talks with Okafor are the team's "next order of business."

"We want to start that dialogue soon," he said.

If the Bobcats do retain GWallace and do resign Okafor longterm, they are set for a playoff push. Could be looking at over 30 million for all three a year but is worth it, if GWallace doesn't get injured often again

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:36 am
I saw this, too.

Totally expected. JRich and Gerald Wallace make a lethally athletic duo...
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:40 am
The Bobcats look like a serious threat to make the playoffs but it all relies on GWallace remaining healthy which just hasn't been the case his whole career. Hope for them that they are healthy and play well

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:21 am
Wallace won't have to do nearly as much with Richardson around. All he needs to do now is rebound and defend. JRich gives the Bobcats the only thing they've been missing: a go-to scorer.

Now that Richardson's in the mix, players like Emeka Okafor, Gerald Wallace, and Sean May can go back to their usual duties of shot-blocking, rebounding, and playing physical... rather than BSing around trying to score. None of those players are natural scorers, which is why Richardson is such a good find for Charlotte. Now, players like Morrison and Felton, who previously were trying to do too much on offense, can sit back and enjoy being 2nd or 3rd options. It helps their team tremendously.

Orlando and Charlotte are two dangerous young squads that could be sleepers in the East. Boston will be a sleeper, but I'll be surprised if they make it past the 2nd round...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:40 pm
Definately is a real chance of the East looking much different this season. Orlando I'm still not sure of as things may or may not workout. Bobcats look like a real chance of being not just a playoff team but a strong playoff team capable of going far. They have the outside and inside talents that most teams don't have. Morrison is an X factor because if he dials in this season and shoots well, the Bobcats could even win the East. Not likely but possible

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:52 am
I'd rate Orlando above Charlotte. If the two teams went head-to-head in the playoffs, Dwight Howard alone would knock out the Bobcats in 6 games. Now that he's got Rashard Lewis launching jumpers on the perimeter, his rebounding numbers should skyrocket.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dwight Howard averaged 14 or 15 rebounds a game next year. Seriously.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:21 pm
Nice move by the Bobcats. Now they have a core to build around... and it's time to prove they're for real and not only a way to make money for their owner.

Seems like MJ is committed to win, too. Maybe this time it won't backfire...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:40 pm
32 wrote:I'd rate Orlando above Charlotte. If the two teams went head-to-head in the playoffs, Dwight Howard alone would knock out the Bobcats in 6 games. Now that he's got Rashard Lewis launching jumpers on the perimeter, his rebounding numbers should skyrocket.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dwight Howard averaged 14 or 15 rebounds a game next year. Seriously.

i don't see Dwight as much better than Okafor at all. Okafor does everything Dwight does. The Bobcats have more guns around Okafor than what the Magic have around Dwight. Rashard is very good but GWallace, I'd say, can shut him down pretty good and score nearly as much himself. GWallace does everything else but scoring more than Lewis. I reckon Felton is better than Jameer so the PG favours the Bobcats but pretty even. JRich is what makes the difference. The Magic have noone to go against him. JRich would go off for 25+ in a series against the Magic! The likes of Morrison and May are also better than any bench player the Magic have

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:17 am
Morrison=JJ Redick
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:45 am
TMC wrote:Morrison=JJ Redick

That Walter Hermann fella proved to be the better rookie and this kid was either a 2nd rounder or a rookie FA. I never thought of Morrison as the best all around player in that weak draft class. I thought it was either Thomas or Roy.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:13 am
xbaywarrior wrote:

That Walter Hermann fella proved to be the better rookie and this kid was either a 2nd rounder or a rookie FA. I never thought of Morrison as the best all around player in that weak draft class. I thought it was either Thomas or Roy.

Hermann was an undrafted rookie, unless I'm wrong, but he was pretty well known due to his international career.

As for Morrison... he has a lot to prove in the upcoming season. Right now, seems like he was a reach at the spot they grabbed him.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:13 am

Reckon Morrison has the potential to be a very good scorer in the nba whereas Reddick is never going to be anything, a role player at best

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:09 am
migya wrote:

Reckon Morrison has the potential to be a very good scorer in the nba whereas Reddick is never going to be anything, a role player at best

Hey, both have the potential to be good scorers... and nothing else. That's where the comparison came from.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:52 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:

Hey, both have the potential to be good scorers... and nothing else. That's where the comparison came from.

But Morrison more so. Reddick just doesn't look like being anything more than a very good college player that had only one skill and couldn't make it happen in the nba. Morrison could have a few good seasons and on the current Bobcats team, could be an energizer off the bench

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:57 am
migya wrote:Reddick just doesn't look like being anything more than a very good college player that had only one skill and couldn't make it happen in the nba.

That's Morrison so far...
Next

Return to News Articles