Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:49 am
Riley hopeful about Heat's chances on landing Mo Williams
By TIM REYNOLDS, AP Sports Writer
July 9, 2007

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) -- In his player biography, Milwaukee Bucks guard Mo Williams says Miami is his favorite NBA city. Heat coach Pat Riley hopes to find out in the coming days if that's the case.

Riley spoke Monday of his weekend recruiting session with the free agent point guard, clearly hopeful that Williams -- who averaged career-bests of 17.3 points and 6.1 assists with the Bucks this past season -- will accept a deal to play alongside 2006 NBA finals MVP Dwyane Wade in the Heat's backcourt for the coming years.

"We had a great conversation," Riley said. "We know what the score is. We're very interested."

The problem, of course, is money. Miami can only offer Williams the mid-level exception, which would mean the most he could earn in a five-year deal with the Heat is about $35 million. The Bucks, however, could offer substantially more, and are already believed to have made an offer in the $40 million range.

"We know what the deal is," Riley said while taking a break from watching the Heat's summer league team play in Orlando. "We know where we are and what we can do and what they can do. It's really up to him. I think he would be great with our team. He's 24 and I think he and Dwyane would be a great backcourt for a long time, but he's got to make a major decision."

Free agents can begin signing contracts Wednesday.

Williams' agent, Mark Bartelstein, said Monday that no decisions had been made about where Williams will play next season. Bartelstein also represents, among others, Heat forward James Posey, another free agent who is weighing a return to Miami along with other offers.

"I'm talking with Mark every day, seeing how things work out," Riley said. "But we know what our priority is and we've got to try to take care of that first."

That priority is point guard, largely because the Heat have concerns about the health of incumbent starter Jason Williams -- who has battled several injuries during his two seasons in Miami and is rehabbing this summer at his home in Central Florida, not far from where summer league is being held. Riley said he hopes to meet with Jason Williams before returning to Miami.

"It doesn't mean that Jason Williams is out-of-sight, out-of-mind," Riley said. "He's working very hard to get healthy. ... But we have to cover ourselves."

If the Heat get him and keep Posey, they are back to contenders again. It is a real possibility because the Heat are capable of winning so I wouldn't be surprised if Mo Williams signs there. If he does, I predict that IF the Heat are mostly HEALTHY, they will win the East again

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:55 am
Don't know about that signing. Miami won't be able to offer Mo Williams the same amount other teams will.

Seems like he's willing to sign there for less money... but it will depend on the kind of offer he gets. He could sign for 5 millions less... but I doubt he'd do if there's a 15 million difference.

As far as winning the east, it may possibly happen, as the east is friggin awful. But only if Shaq stays healthy. He's still the key for them.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:05 am
Mo Williams is a great player and with Wade, possibily the best backcourt in the nba. Both could carry that team to many wins without Shaq, as long as guys like Posey, Haslem and a decent enough bench (Walker) are healthy

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:12 am
Well, some guys just like the cities. Damon Stoudamire played for a helluva lot less money in Portland than other teams could have given him because it was his home town. I'm not saying its likely, but Mo Williams definately could go to Miami if Riley sweetens the deal enough for him...
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:26 am
MLE is all Riley can give Mo Williams. Likely some team, maybe Boston, will offer him more and still give him a chance to win

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:22 am
Boston is gonna be decent this year. Definately a sleeper.

Allen and Pierce now pose as the undisputed greatest shooting duo in all of basketball. Combine that with a couple young post threats, like Al Jefferson and Kendric Perkins, and all you're missing is the playmaker to get them the ball...

I think the Celtics should look elsewhere for a PG. Mo Williams is definately shoot-first. Don't get me wrong; he's a good player who can distribute a fair amount, but Steve Blake might be a better (and cheaper) option for Boston.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:38 am
The Celtics might go for broke and sign Mo Williams or some other PG for alot of money and thus risk not being able to retain most of their young players. They look like they will be a good team this season but they must get a PG

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:15 am
Thats why the Steve Blake option makes so much sense to me; he'll come 3 times cheaper than Mo Williams will. He won't shoot nearly as often, but he's a deadeye 3-point shooter whose a natural distributer. I think you need that kind of guy when dealing with players of Pierce and Allen's stature.

I know the Celtics are shopping Al Jefferson like crazy, but you don't wanna lose him for nothing. They need money for his resign and they won't have it if they break the bank on Mo Williams.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:36 pm
Firstly, Blake is god but not that good. He is asking for 6 million at least apparently and MoWilliams may settle for as low as 6 or 7 million himself, though he is worth some 9 or 10 million (going by other signings this offseason).

I haven't read anything about the Celts shoppoing Al Jefferson, it would be so stupid for them to because he is their only inside talent and a great one at that. They have the chance to resign him for more money and years than any other team anyway

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:49 am
Well, Mo Williams is getting overpaid to stay with the Bucks, so the Celtics don't have to worry about him.

Blake was just an example. With the kind of firepower Boston's starting lineup features, it would be wise to invest in a pass-first PG.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:16 pm
32 wrote:Well, Mo Williams is getting overpaid to stay with the Bucks, so the Celtics don't have to worry about him.

Yep. But they needed to do that to keep him... if not, he'd be in a Miami jersey.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:24 pm
True. Thats what they get for trading TJ Ford...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:49 pm
32 wrote:Blake was just an example. With the kind of firepower Boston's starting lineup features, it would be wise to invest in a pass-first PG.

A playmaking PG is a MUST for Boston, not just a want. Without one, there is no brain to give the ball to the guns they have, namely Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, Al Jefferson and to a lesser extent Gerald Green

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:41 pm
32 wrote:True. Thats what they get for trading TJ Ford...

Yeah, I'd take a cheaper T.J. Ford over an overpaid Mo Williams any day.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:12 am
xbaywarrior wrote:
32 wrote:True. Thats what they get for trading TJ Ford...

Yeah, I'd take a cheaper T.J. Ford over an overpaid Mo Williams any day.

I'm not as high on TJ Ford as anybody else. I'd rather have Mo Williams than him, to be honest... A little cheaper if possible, tho.
Next

Return to News Articles