Nellie still mum on plans for next season, Bye Zarko

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:36 am
Janny Hu, Chronicle Staff Writer

Saturday, June 30, 2007

One night was all it took to turn a 67-year-old coach supposedly contemplating retirement into someone who sounded like a giddy child ready for anything but.

"Let's put it this way," Warriors coach Don Nelson said Friday. "If it ends up that I don't come back, we've really done wonders. I'd walk away and be very pleased. But now, you'd also kind of like to see it develop a little more. It's a really exciting time."

Nelson still won't officially commit to coming back next season or to a decision deadline, but as he packed his car for a weekend trip to Lake Tahoe, he was clearly thrilled with Thursday's draft dealings.

By sending franchise stalwart Jason Richardson to Charlotte for the rights to Brandan Wright, Warriors vice president Chris Mullin engineered his second big roster and salary cap makeover of the year.

And there's a chance -- albeit small -- that a third could be coming. The Warriors had "substantial discussions" with Minnesota this week and aren't counting themselves out of the Kevin Garnett sweepstakes, according to a league source.

It isn't clear how close they came to pulling off a multi-team deal Thursday, but the odds of a Garnett trade diminished once Richardson and his hefty salary were first dealt away.

Though the Warriors received a $10 million trade exception in the move, it cannot be combined with other salaries to match Garnett's, so they now have to construct a deal involving separate high-priced transactions with the Wolves, or involve a third team.

Regardless of what happens on the Garnett front, however, it's almost certain that Nelson will be coaching. Mullin has consistently said he believes Nelson will be back -- "He's been here every day, driving me crazy," he joked Thursday -- and Golden State's free agents are operating under the same assumption.

That appears to be just fine with Nelson after a wild night. The coach said the Warriors were high on Yi Jianlian, Corey Brewer, Jeff Green, Joakim Noah and Wright, and confident that at least one of those players would be available when Charlotte made its No. 8 selection for the Warriors in their pre-arranged deal.

All but Wright and Noah were off the board when Charlotte picked, and Nelson believes Wright has unlimited potential. While Yi's agent could still ask for a trade from Milwaukee, the Warriors seem to prefer Wright.

Nelson expects Wright to indeed receive some playing time while he develops physically, and was also impressed by first-round pick Marco Belinelli of Italy, whom he deemed more NBA-ready than Wright after five pro seasons in Europe.

Still, the excitement over the arrival of the new draft picks was dulled by the loss of Richardson, who anchored the Warriors for the last six years. His sudden departure caught teammates by surprise.

"He's pretty much been the face of the organization," said Warriors forward Matt Barnes, who becomes a free agent Sunday. "It meant everything for him for the team to do well and for us to make the playoffs. And for him to be traded after that, it's definitely a shock."

"It's very difficult for Mully to make this move," Nelson added. "It was just such an important move to make for our franchise. Once you get up into that real big money, you're vulnerable as a player to be moved, and every once in a while, that has to be a factor."

Briefly: The Warriors extended qualifying offers to Mickael Pietrus, Kelenna Azuibuke and Josh Powell before today's deadline, giving Golden State the right to match any offers the players receive in free agency. As expected, Zarko Cabarkapa was not tendered, so his Warriors days are likely done.
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:34 am
O.G. Broe wrote:Though the Warriors received a $10 million trade exception in the move, it cannot be combined with other salaries to match Garnett's, so they now have to construct a deal involving separate high-priced transactions with the Wolves, or involve a third team.

Didn't realise this. So how can the trade exception be used? Just in a straight up trade for players that amount to 10 million in salary?

Wonder if Nelson has any thoughts of staying long term as coach now that the team looks more built for the future

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:04 am
migya wrote:
O.G. Broe wrote:Though the Warriors received a $10 million trade exception in the move, it cannot be combined with other salaries to match Garnett's, so they now have to construct a deal involving separate high-priced transactions with the Wolves, or involve a third team.

Didn't realise this. So how can the trade exception be used? Just in a straight up trade for players that amount to 10 million in salary?

Well, first of all, exceptions count against the cap. You're not paying anybody, but your real cap situation is the amount of the players contracts plus the exception value. The team can renounce to the exception at any given time, tho, and that will free up all that cap. Or they may free up just part of the exception. Even tho exceptions count against the cap, they don't bring luxury tax with them, so the only issue is that if adding the exception to the salaries, the team is over the cap, that team won't be able to sign any free agent (like any other team over the cap).

Also, the exception lasts for a year, and is lost if it's not used during that time.

As for trades, I'm not sure. I know for sure that these exceptions can be traded alongside draft picks, but I don't know if that means they can be traded with players. Probably not, if that article is right.

migya wrote:Wonder if Nelson has any thoughts of staying long term as coach now that the team looks more built for the future

I doubt that. He'll stay for a while, but not long term. I don't see him signing another contract once the current one is up.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:55 pm
As far as usage of the exception goes you have to use it in a straight up trade or in a free agent signing. This is easily avoided, however, by just making two seperate deals.

More importantly . . . ZARKOOOO! NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

We hardly knew ye.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:58 pm
Actually, in a related story I heard that the Warriors are going to keep Zarko on in an executive roll with the title being "Assistant to the VP in charge of being Andris' Play Friend." You heard it here first.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:47 pm
O.G. Broe wrote:All but Wright and Noah were off the board when Charlotte picked, and Nelson believes Wright has unlimited potential. While Yi's agent could still ask for a trade from Milwaukee, the Warriors seem to prefer Wright.

THIS is what I like to hear...

Anybody else think Nellie and the Warriors were pulling another Robert-"Tractor"-Traylor-swerve with all their supposed hype surrounding Yi? Everybody knew putting Mully and Nellie together in the draft would be a stroke of genius, but I don't think anybody suspected such a swerve. The Warriors were clearly hyping Yi (whose stock rose ten-fold after Nellie and Mully expressed interest), but they ended up taking Brandan Wright after he slipped on several team's charts, considering the recent hype of Al Horford, Mike Conley, and Yi Jianlian. Prior to ESPN's big NBA drafting bullsh*t fest (aka, when "amazing minds" like Chad Ford, John Hollinger, and Bill Simmons come together and predict future NBA talent), a lot of scouts had Brandan Wright labeled as high as 3rd best in the draft.

We'll see what ends up happening in the future, but my bet is that 5 years from now, Wright will be a go-to forward and Yi will be a 3rd fiddle (if that).
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Return to News Articles