Draft Workout's & Summer League.

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:52 pm
Janny Hu, Chronicle Staff Writer

Friday, June 8, 2007

Most of the Warriors' front office and coaching staff is enjoying its final days off before diving into the hands-on portion of the annual NBA draft blitz.

Monday marks the first day of workouts in Oakland and brings a senior-laden group that includes Maryland guard D.J. Strawberry, the son of former major leaguer Darryl Strawberry, and Rice swingman Morris Almond.

Others scheduled in next week are potential second-round picks Alando Tucker, Curtis Sumpter, Reyshawn Terry, and Bobby Brown -- but the action really kicks up the following week, when candidates for Golden State's first-round pick are expected in.

Colorado State underclassman Jason Smith, who is testing the waters and has not hired an agent, is scheduled to workout for Golden State on June 17. USC swingman Nick Young will be in June 20, along with Nevada's Nick Fazekas and Syracuse's Demetris Nichols, and Duke's Josh McRoberts will be in June 21, according to their representatives.

The Warriors, who currently own the 18th pick in the first round and the 36th and 46th overall selections in the second round, have kept tight lips about which players they bring in and will again conduct closed-door sessions.

The Chinese Connection: Expect to hear more about the Warriors and draft prospect Yi Jianlian of China. Vice president Chris Mullin flew overseas this year to scout the 7-footer during the Chinese Basketball Association finals, and the interest is mutual as the Bay Area's large Asian population would be attractive to Yi.

Golden State, though, would have to engineer a trade up to select Yi, who is projected to be a lottery pick. Atlanta and Boston, who own the third and fifth overall picks in the draft, have reportedly already seen Yi work out privately in L.A.

Going global: At least one mock draft also has the Warriors selecting Rudy Fernandez, a 6-6 guard from Spain. While Fernandez isn't participating in Reebok's annual Eurocamp in Treviso, Italy, from June 9-12 -- his club team is still in the Spanish league playoffs -- most NBA teams are expected to have representatives there.

It is anticipated that Mullin will also travel to Serbia to visit Kosta Perovic, last year's second-round pick. The 7-foot center had a solid season for BC Partizan, averaging 15.2 points and 6.3 rebounds in Euroleague play. Perovic has two seasons left on his contract that can be bought out.

Briefly: Assistant Keith Smart will coach the Warriors' summer league entry in Las Vegas next month. Golden State's roster is expected to include center Patrick O'Bryant and all its picks from the June 28 draft.

E-mail Janny Hu at jhu@sfchronicle.com
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:54 pm
Good to hear Golden State's interested in Jason Smith or Josh McRoberts...

I am a little scared about the idea of trading up to get Yi, though. I trust Chris Mullin's judgement, but I really don't think Yi has enough game to warrant the pieces we'd need to give up to trade for the 3rd or 4th pick. Unless it's a sign-and-trade involving Mickael Pietrus, I'm against it.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:14 am
I was reading around and it would appear this kid Jason Smith has sky rocketed himself to top 12 after his work outs. Doesn't look like he would be available for us. I hope Mullin do trade up and shake up the roster a little to cater Nelson's need.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:20 pm
~W~ wrote:I was reading around and it would appear this kid Jason Smith has sky rocketed himself to top 12 after his work outs. Doesn't look like he would be available for us. I hope Mullin do trade up and shake up the roster a little to cater Nelson's need.

There's plenty of PFs in the draft. Mullin should stay where he is at #18

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:52 am
32 wrote:Good to hear Golden State's interested in Jason Smith or Josh McRoberts...

God, no. Not McRoberts... That guy is going to be a role player (and by that I mean a bench role player) in the NBA. Like a poor Collison (and Collison is pretty good, but I doubt McRoberts can do half of what Collison does on the court). Good enough to stay on the league... but I wouldn't pick him in the first round. Not even at #18.

About Smith... I honestly don't know. Reviews about him seem to be really different, and I haven't seen him play enough.

Agree about Yi, tho. Pick him if he falls (which won't happen), but don't trade up.
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:05 pm
The two people who I really don't want in this draft are Noah (not like we're gonna get him) and McRoberts.

What about Crittenton? It would be useful to have a backup PG to spell Baron.

Role Player
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:59 am
JayPat wrote:The two people who I really don't want in this draft are Noah (not like we're gonna get him) and McRoberts.

What about Crittenton? It would be useful to have a backup PG to spell Baron.

Take jared jordan in the second if ypu really want a backup point, but i wouldnt use a 1st round pick in a draft loaded with bigs on a backup point.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:25 am
Will be interesting what Mullin finds with the 2nd round picks. He might be able to get a backup PG there

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:16 pm
I have absolutely no incentive to pick up a backup PG.

With Harrington and Jackson around for a full year, the load on Baron Davis will be substantially less. Nelson may only play him 30 MPG. If that's the case, Baron has a lot better chance of staying healthy... not to mention, the amount of quasi-points on this team is ridiculous (Monta, SJax, Barnes, Richardson, or even Harrington).
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:25 am
32 wrote:I have absolutely no incentive to pick up a backup PG.

I'd like to have one. I mean, you may be right that Baron will play less next season, and that may lead to him being healthy all year (or most of it), but with his history, there's always risk. And I'm not really confident enough on any of those combo guards you mention (not confident on them as pure PGs. They're ok for a few minutes, tho).

That doesn't mean we have to take that backup PG with our first rounder. We also have two second rounders. We should go best available player in the first and fill needs with the second rounders.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:48 pm
I think, as long as Nellie's coaching the team, it doesn't really matter what position anyone plays.

Baron's the orchestrator. If he goes out (or down with an injury), we have no one to run the team. That's not because we're lacking point guards (as seen when Speedy, Fish, and McLeod were here); its because Baron's just a damn good playmaker. Nobody else is going to replace his production in the distributing department. Nobody.

In the meantime, Barnes, Jackson, Richardson, Monta, and Harrington all do decent enough jobs handling the ball when Baron's taking a rest.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:12 pm
Be good to get a PG in the 2nd round if possible. If Jaskgoes, which would be a good thing, a third string PG could be found in the 2nd round, hopefully one that can run the team for a few minutes a night

Return to News Articles