'T'-toting Jackson's gotta go by Dave Del Grande

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes


All Star
Posts: 2261
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:05 am
Location: Berkeley
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 5:36 pm
'T'-toting Jackson's gotta go
Column by Dave Del Grande
Article Last Updated: 05/17/2007


THE FINAL PIECE of confetti hadn't completed its journey from rafters to floor Tuesday night, and already Don Nelson was being asked about next season. Really, he shouldn't have been surprised.
Make no mistake about it: Sneaking into the playoffs and bowing out to a non-elite team won't be enough to fill the rather large belly of Warriors fans next season, even if they're still a bit loopy after toasting the appetizer with champagne.

Chris Mullin has many tough decisions to make this offseason, starting with what to do with his ticking time bomb — Stephen Jackson.

Having just disembarked from a 24-day, 11-game roller-coaster ride, we've seen the good and the bad of the ex-Pacer. The question is: Have we seen the worst?

I seriously doubt it. So now's the time to ship him elsewhere and assure his explosion cracks someone else's foundation.

As great a player as he can be, there's just no way you can win with this guy. He's alienated so many referees, the Warriors find themselves playing 5-on-8 every time Jackson suits up.

With a generally uninspiring group of free agents about to hit the market, Jackson's three-year, $21.4 million remaining commitment shouldn't be a deal breaker, especially for general managers who watched the Dallas series but then switched over to the Spurs and Suns in Round 2.

The Warriors flat-out cannot bring him back.

DATELINE: Golden State. The Jackson dilemma isn't Mullin's only concern right now.
Here are five other questions he must answer before training camp in October:
What would happen if the Warriors basically stood pat this offseason?

Let me guess ... Baron Davis and his track-team mates would exhaust themselves winning 48 games, then get pounded into submission as soon as they ran into the likes of Tim Duncan, Elton Brand or Carlos Boozer in the postseason. Good in 2006-07, not good enough in 2007-08.

Should Mickael Pietrus be re-signed?

Only as part of a sign-and-trade. The team has more of a need for a Paul

Millsap-type interior force or Marcus Banks-type insurance policy for Davis than yet another mediocre perimeter shooter.

Should Davis get his desired four-year, $89.9 million extension?

If you say no, you're setting up a lame-duck season that would drive 67-year-old Nelson into retirement by year's end. Davis is as important to the Warriors as Barry Bonds has been to the Giants. Pay the man.

What type of player should the Warriors draft?

A shooter. A kid who can hit an open 3-pointer is a lot easier to find in the middle of the first round than someone who can guard Boozer. Question: On a team that fires up 30 3's a night, who's the Warriors' best pure shooter? Answer: The Warriors have no pure shooters.

Is pursuing Kevin Garnett a waste of time?

Hey, you'd have thought offering Mike Dunleavy and Troy Murphy for anything with a heartbeat might have qualified as a waste of time, so why not? But let's be realistic: If Mullin could get the equivalent of Millsap for Jackson and Banks for Pietrus, all he'd need to do is find two more Nelson-made Matt Barneses out there, and the Warriors would be ready to roll.

DATELINE: Indoors and out.

Quickly ...

-When the league's best referee has a potentially volatile situation well under control and two teammates (Amare Stoudemire, Boris Diaw) stand up to get a better view of whether their MVP (Steve Nash) just broke his neck, the NBA has no right stepping in and suspending two innocent bystanders. An outdated rule needs to get its fangs clipped this offseason.

-You want to suspend someone? Let's start with Jason Richardson for his gutless clothesline assault on Mehmet Okur in Game4. If the Jazz big man breaks his arm, Richardson is benched into next season. But because Okur was able to stand up, the usually respectful Warrior is sent back out there without as much as an apology. It makes no sense.

-I'm glad to see somebody's listening: Giving teams room to breathe before and during the baseball playoffs was the right thing to do. Congratulations, commissioner. I'll shake your hand when I see you and Hank at the Bonds ceremony next month.



Dave Del Grande is a jerk... Lost all credibility with me when he wanted to trade Tim Hardaway for Shawn Bradley :roll:
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3042
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:42 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 11:33 pm
O.G. Broe wrote:'T'-toting Jackson's gotta go
Column by Dave Del Grande
Article Last Updated: 05/17/2007


THE FINAL PIECE of confetti hadn't completed its journey from rafters to floor Tuesday night, and already Don Nelson was being asked about next season. Really, he shouldn't have been surprised.
Make no mistake about it: Sneaking into the playoffs and bowing out to a non-elite team won't be enough to fill the rather large belly of Warriors fans next season, even if they're still a bit loopy after toasting the appetizer with champagne.

Chris Mullin has many tough decisions to make this offseason, starting with what to do with his ticking time bomb — Stephen Jackson.

Having just disembarked from a 24-day, 11-game roller-coaster ride, we've seen the good and the bad of the ex-Pacer. The question is: Have we seen the worst?

I seriously doubt it. So now's the time to ship him elsewhere and assure his explosion cracks someone else's foundation.

As great a player as he can be, there's just no way you can win with this guy. He's alienated so many referees, the Warriors find themselves playing 5-on-8 every time Jackson suits up.

With a generally uninspiring group of free agents about to hit the market, Jackson's three-year, $21.4 million remaining commitment shouldn't be a deal breaker, especially for general managers who watched the Dallas series but then switched over to the Spurs and Suns in Round 2.

The Warriors flat-out cannot bring him back.

DATELINE: Golden State. The Jackson dilemma isn't Mullin's only concern right now.
Here are five other questions he must answer before training camp in October:
What would happen if the Warriors basically stood pat this offseason?

Let me guess ... Baron Davis and his track-team mates would exhaust themselves winning 48 games, then get pounded into submission as soon as they ran into the likes of Tim Duncan, Elton Brand or Carlos Boozer in the postseason. Good in 2006-07, not good enough in 2007-08.

Should Mickael Pietrus be re-signed?

Only as part of a sign-and-trade. The team has more of a need for a Paul

Millsap-type interior force or Marcus Banks-type insurance policy for Davis than yet another mediocre perimeter shooter.

Should Davis get his desired four-year, $89.9 million extension?

If you say no, you're setting up a lame-duck season that would drive 67-year-old Nelson into retirement by year's end. Davis is as important to the Warriors as Barry Bonds has been to the Giants. Pay the man.

What type of player should the Warriors draft?

A shooter. A kid who can hit an open 3-pointer is a lot easier to find in the middle of the first round than someone who can guard Boozer. Question: On a team that fires up 30 3's a night, who's the Warriors' best pure shooter? Answer: The Warriors have no pure shooters.

Is pursuing Kevin Garnett a waste of time?

Hey, you'd have thought offering Mike Dunleavy and Troy Murphy for anything with a heartbeat might have qualified as a waste of time, so why not? But let's be realistic: If Mullin could get the equivalent of Millsap for Jackson and Banks for Pietrus, all he'd need to do is find two more Nelson-made Matt Barneses out there, and the Warriors would be ready to roll.

DATELINE: Indoors and out.

Quickly ...

-When the league's best referee has a potentially volatile situation well under control and two teammates (Amare Stoudemire, Boris Diaw) stand up to get a better view of whether their MVP (Steve Nash) just broke his neck, the NBA has no right stepping in and suspending two innocent bystanders. An outdated rule needs to get its fangs clipped this offseason.

-You want to suspend someone? Let's start with Jason Richardson for his gutless clothesline assault on Mehmet Okur in Game4. If the Jazz big man breaks his arm, Richardson is benched into next season. But because Okur was able to stand up, the usually respectful Warrior is sent back out there without as much as an apology. It makes no sense.

-I'm glad to see somebody's listening: Giving teams room to breathe before and during the baseball playoffs was the right thing to do. Congratulations, commissioner. I'll shake your hand when I see you and Hank at the Bonds ceremony next month.



Dave Del Grande is a jerk... Lost all credibility with me when he wanted to trade Tim Hardaway for Shawn Bradley :roll:

now he wants to trade sjax for madsen, I am sure... :roll:
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13528
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 12:54 am
Dave Del Grande wrote:Should Davis get his desired four-year, $89.9 million extension?

If you say no, you're setting up a lame-duck season that would drive 67-year-old Nelson into retirement by year's end. Davis is as important to the Warriors as Barry Bonds has been to the Giants. Pay the man.

This is one of the rare parts of the article I actually agreed with. This and all the talk about how expendable Pietrus is. But the beef with Jackson? I don't get it...
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 1:09 am
by Dave Del Grande


I stopped reading here...
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21379
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 3:50 am
There are two sides to every argument it seems, sometimes both sides have plausibility. I understand where this well known fartmunch of a writer is coming from as I feel concerned of what BAD things could happen with our beloved team.

I don't agree that giving Baron an extension worth half the salarycap is the way to go! Wait until his current contract expires and see what sort of man he is, a loyal one that wants to finally be on a championship caliber team or a selfish fuk.

I agree in trading Pietrus and getting something good back for him like Millsap if that was a possibility. I also agree Marcus Banks is good :mrgreen:

Not sure whether the team has no "pure" shooters or not, depends on your definition! Ray Allen may be the only pure shooter in the nba. JRich has become a great outside shooter and SJackson and Harrington are above average for sure, with Baron showing late in the season and the playoffs that he is in that category as well. Drafting a shooter is an option BUT only if Mullin, the great drafter, truly thinks that there is not any big man worth taking and in this loaded big man draft, sure he will find one he likes.

Going after KG might be a good option, might not. Not a totally stupid thing to aim for.

The subject of SJackson is a big one. I think he has earned the right to be a keeper for now BUT he is volatile and maybe trading him along with one or two other guys for a star like Paul Pierce or a star big like Gasol is something good to go for
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 3:58 am
migya wrote:I also agree Marcus Banks is good :mrgreen:


Banks?. That f*cker (the writer) is crazy. Glad I didn't read the article. :thumbleft:
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21379
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 4:48 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:I also agree Marcus Banks is good :mrgreen:


Banks?. That f*cker (the writer) is crazy. Glad I didn't read the article. :thumbleft:



Didn't read the article? To fill you in, the writer showed he is a bonehead by not stating how great a backup PG Banks is and how a great fit he'd be hee in the Warriors :D
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 5:02 am
O.G. Broe wrote:Dave Del Grande is a jerk...


The Broe Knows. Dont Hate.... :thumbleft:
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21379
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 5:10 am
TMC wrote:
O.G. Broe wrote:Dave Del Grande is a jerk...


The Broe Knows. Dont Hate.... :thumbleft:


:mrgreen:

The Broe knows.......... FUKALL :mrgreen:

PS. Relax broe, only joking. Best of love :shock: :mrgreen:
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya

Return to News Articles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron