Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:13 am
As promised, Lewis voids Sonics contract, will become free agent
By GREGG BELL, AP Sports Writer
May 25, 2007

SEATTLE (AP) -- Rashard Lewis' promise became reality.

Lewis' agent said Friday night that the SuperSonics' longest-tenured player and second-leading scorer had officially opted out of the final two years of his Seattle contract. That makes him eligible for free agency beginning on July 1, but doesn't necessarily end his career with the Sonics.

It gives him options. And this is what free agency is for," agent Tony Dutt said in Houston, after officially informing the Sonics in writing what Lewis had promised before the end of the just-completed season.

The Sonics have one advantage over the rest of the NBA with Lewis now in free agency: They are the only team who can offer him a six-year contract.

"It was in his contract that he could become a free agent. And you can't blame him for wanting to see what's out there," Sonics president of basketball operations Lenny Wilkens said last month. "But that won't stop us from trying to get it done."

When asked if he has been negotiating with the Sonics, despite Seattle not having a general manager or a coach right now, Dutt said, "We've been in contact (with Wilkens). We'll probably stay in contact on and off until July 1."

Lewis, who turns 28 in August, left $21 million behind in his Sonics contract. He is considered to be one of the NBA's most attractive free agent this summer. The market will include Chauncey Billups, Gerald Wallace and possibly Vince Carter -- if Carter does what Lewis did and opts of out his contract with the New Jersey Nets.

"I'm excited about where I stand in the NBA," Lewis said last month, immediately after his ninth season in Seattle ended in a 31-51 mess.

Lewis could get offers of five years for perhaps $15 million per year, after averaging 22.4 points last season despite a hand injury that caused him to miss 22 games. Yet he said he will give Seattle first opportunity to give him a sweet deal.

"Oh, yeah. I've been here since the team drafted me (in 1998). They have faith in me," Lewis said last month.

"My heart will always be here -- even if I play somewhere else."

The 2005 All-Star returned from his six-week absence last season to lead the team while All-Star shooter Ray Allen was injured.

"He's earned that right to be at the top of the market," Dutt said. "I think teams will move pretty quickly to sign him (after July 1). He is about the top free agent out there."

If he doesn't get resigned or resigned and then traded for something, Seattle will miss out on taking advantage of likely getting Durant. Really would be a blow to them as it finally looked like they were going to have the talent to get back to being a playoff team if not an elite one

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:29 am
First thing Seattle needs to do is sign a GM and a coach... then wait what happens in draft day before deciding what to do with Lewis.

If they get Oden and sign Lewis, they'll be back in the playoffs next year, and will be a contender in 3. If they draft Durant, Lewis will be more expendable.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:58 am
I reckon they should resign him and look for trades. A sign and trade is best where the other team agrees with Lewis on the salary he gets. Keeping him and going with him and Durant in the same lineup would be incredible offensively but not defensively. The last thing they want is to have a disagreement with Lewis and have to hold out on him until they come to an agreement so they don't lose him for nothing. They must get something for him if he doesn't want to stay there or they'll stay in the rut they're in

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 11:25 am
They should try and trade Lewis, but only after the draft because if they get Oden their defensive problems will not be as bad. If they end up with Durant, trade Lewis for a big man.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 11:57 am
I meant to post this before as I thought of it at work three days ago - The Sonics should try to get Garnett using Lewis and some. Rashard, Wilcox and Watson for KG works and the TWolves should be happy getting that much back. Watson is added for the salaries to work as KG gets a fukin LOT of money! Too much actually!

New lineups (or thereabouts):

TWolves
PG - Foye/Watson/James
SG - McCants/RDavis/James/Jaric
SF - Lewis/RDavis/Hassell
PF - Wilcox/Lewis/CSmith
C - Draft Pick (Splitter)/Blount

Sonics
PG - Ridnour/Wilks
SG - Allen/Wilkins
SF - Durant/Gelable
PF - Garnett/Collison
C - Petro/Collison/Swift/Sene

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 12:47 am
The Timberwolves won't trade for Rashard Lewis. He'll be too expensive... and they already have a small forward (Ricky Davis).
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 3:35 am
RDavis is a SG more than SF so can be the starting SG easily I showed above in my projected lineups.

That's more talent than they will get from any other team for KG most likley. Rashard Lewis and Wilcox (the significant players in that trade from the Sonics) are better than anything else the TWolves have, especially Rashard, an allstar

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 3:57 am
migya wrote:The Sonics should try to get Garnett using Lewis and some. Rashard, Wilcox and Watson for KG works and the TWolves should be happy getting that much back.

Two problems with that trade. I can't see Minny trading KG to a divisional rival, no matter how much talent they get back.

Second, I can't see Rashard going to Minny... and, as he's a free agent right now, the Sonics can't force the trade.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 4:54 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:The Sonics should try to get Garnett using Lewis and some. Rashard, Wilcox and Watson for KG works and the TWolves should be happy getting that much back.

Two problems with that trade. I can't see Minny trading KG to a divisional rival, no matter how much talent they get back.

Second, I can't see Rashard going to Minny... and, as he's a free agent right now, the Sonics can't force the trade.

You're right about trading to a divisional rival but that is a good level of talent they'd be getting back. Sonics better of going for someone like Al Jefferson with fillers like Ratliff and Wally.

The Sonics can't force a trade but they can match any offer any other team gives him, that's what I was talking about with a disagreement and some sort of hold out. Likely they will lose Rashard for nothing and that would be a huge blow but they should try real hard to get a trade to a team that Lewis likes, therefore getting something back

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 5:06 am
migya wrote:The Sonics can't force a trade but they can match any offer any other team gives him

Nope. That's only for restricted free agents. Rashard is unrestricted. He's completely free.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 5:11 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:The Sonics can't force a trade but they can match any offer any other team gives him

Nope. That's only for restricted free agents. Rashard is unrestricted. He's completely free.

I'd read he was restricted freeagent! They're fuked and were lucky to get the #2 pick! Stupid fools, that franchise deserves to be in the dumpsters with that type of organisation

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 5:14 am
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:

I'd read he was restricted freeagent! They're fuked and were lucky to get the #2 pick! Stupid fools, that franchise deserves to be in the dumpsters with that type of organisation

No. Free agents are only restricted when they finish their rookie contracts. Any other contract will make them unrestricted once it ends.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:35 am
TMC wrote:

Minnesota should realize that they are in for a couple of years of rebuilding and as such shouldn't care where Garnett goes. He'll be less of a thread by the time Minnesota will be back in contention for the playoffs.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:11 am
cladden wrote:
TMC wrote:

Minnesota should realize that they are in for a couple of years of rebuilding and as such shouldn't care where Garnett goes. He'll be less of a thread by the time Minnesota will be back in contention for the playoffs.

Unlike the Warriors, most teams realize that it doesn't take 10 years to rebuild.

If Minnesota is ready to throw in the towell on the Kevin Garnett Project, they'll be looking to contend for the playoffs again in another 3 years. Best believe Garnett will be effective for the next three years. He'll go to the Eastern Conference, if he's traded. You can be sure of that.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:56 pm
cladden wrote:
TMC wrote:

Good point and somewhat plausible. They will likely trade him to the East if they trade him at all though but if they wanted to just get the best talent for him, they should look at all proposals

Next

Return to News Articles