Blazers' Roy wins Rookie of the Year

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 1:39 am
32 wrote:Well, Bargnani has a lot on Roy as far as potential... besides being a helluva lot taller, he's got stroke from all over the floor. If Bargnani fills out, he'll be better than Roy, in the long run. Brandon Roy will top out as an 19 PPG, 4.5 RPG, 5 APG scorer. Bargnani could someday be a 25 PPG, 10 RPG, and 1 BPG guy.

I'm with 32 here. Keep in mind Bargnani is just 21, and playing a different kind of bball in a different country. I expected a lot less from him this season. I'm not saying he's going to become a big star. I'm not even saying he's going to live up to his #1 expectations, but I'm sure he'll be a great player for a long time. How much, I don't know...

On the other side, it's much more easier to predict Roy's numbers, and 32's predictions are pretty accurate (although I think he's able to do a bit more, something like 22, 6, 5 would be my limits).
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:23 am
Bargnani doesn't seem like he has any extaordinary skills, except maybe iutside shooting. He'll likely get pushed around for years

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:28 am
migya wrote:Bargnani doesn't seem like he has any extaordinary skills, except maybe iutside shooting. He'll likely get pushed around for years

Not necessarily, if he's going to play at SF. He'll create lots of mismatches with Bosh inside and him playing a hybrid SF/PF.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:40 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:Bargnani doesn't seem like he has any extaordinary skills, except maybe iutside shooting. He'll likely get pushed around for years

Not necessarily, if he's going to play at SF. He'll create lots of mismatches with Bosh inside and him playing a hybrid SF/PF.

He'd get destroyed by the SFs of the nba because he is too slow

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:04 am
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:

He'd get destroyed by the SFs of the nba because he is too slow

I don't think so. Lamar Odom started his career at small forward, as did Kevin Garnett. Its a great position for mismatches; namely, the type Bargnani can exploit. Small forwards tend to be perimeter-based players, which is right up Bargnani's alley. He doesn't need to worry about quickness because he's not guarding a post player or a slasher, most of the time. And, if for some reason, they do venture inside... the kid's 7'2". I'm sure he'll be able to handle himself.

Think of it from a Nellie-ball perspective, as I'm sure Collangelo is. OK, sure, half the time, Bargnani might be a liability on defense... but think of it on the other side of the floor. He's insanely taller than the average (6'7") small forward, he can shoot just as well as smaller players, his rebounding is improving, and his fine tuned skills are all sound, too. No small forward in the league will be able to guard him; guys like Stephen Jackson, Luol Deng, and Tayshaun Prince seem like the best options for him... and how many of those kinda defenders are in the league?

And then, of course, there's always the off-chance that Bargnani fills out and adds some muscle to him. :shock: I shudder to think of what he'll be like if THAT happens.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:39 pm
I was going to post something, but after reading 32's post, it's pretty pointless. :wink:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:36 pm
Well have to see what happens. Rudy Gay is a player I also think will get real good, allstar type actually

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 1:55 am
migya wrote:Well have to see what happens. Rudy Gay is a player I also think will get real good, allstar type actually

Yeah, but Gay was inconsistent. Some great games, some awful ones... another player with lots of potential, tho.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 10:48 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:Well have to see what happens. Rudy Gay is a player I also think will get real good, allstar type actually

Yeah, but Gay was inconsistent. Some great games, some awful ones... another player with lots of potential, tho.

Rudy Gay is going to be a good player. I don't think he'll ever be Memphis' star, but he'll be a Battier-kinda guy there for a while (not in the defensive sense; but more like a 3rd best guy that the fans will like).
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:58 am
32 wrote:
TMC wrote:

Rudy Gay is going to be a good player. I don't think he'll ever be Memphis' star, but he'll be a Battier-kinda guy there for a while (not in the defensive sense; but more like a 3rd best guy that the fans will like).

Could be but the guy has the ability to be a 20pt a game scorer and pretty allround as well. Depends on what the Grizz get in the draft and if Gasol stays. If they get more talent, Gay may never be more than the 3rd or 4th option, as MMiller is the 2nd option and will likely be 3rd option if Grizz get either Durant or Oden

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 3:59 pm
Gay coming out of UConn was rated as one of the top players to have the highest potential to become a bust or star. He was inconsistent during the season, but this was his rookie season and he was playing on a rather defeated team. I think Gay can be like a Josh Smith. The rookie I kept my eye on was that Kinsey guy. He had a nice run down the stretch. We'll just see if he keeps it up.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:41 am
Gay has athleticism and skills so he is always capable of being real good. Hard to tell after just the rookie season but if he is in the right situation, where he's starting and getting the ball a bit, he will be good

Previous

Return to News Articles