Blazers' Roy wins Rookie of the Year

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:50 pm
Blazers' Roy wins Rookie of the Year

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) -- Trail Blazers guard Brandon Roy was chosen as the NBA's Rookie of the Year on Wednesday after leading all rookies with averages of 16.8 points, 4.0 assists and 35.4 minutes in 57 games.

Roy received 127 out of a possible 128 first-place votes (638 points) for the award, known as the Eddie Gottlieb Trophy, from a panel of sports writers and broadcasters.

Toronto's Andrea Bargnani finished second with 264 points and Memphis' Rudy Gay was third with 93 points.

"It's rare to see a rookie step in, assume a leadership role and become a go-to guy as Brandon did this past season," Trail Blazers head coach Nate McMillan said in a statement. "Brandon is a phenomenal young talent and has a chance to become a very special player in this league."

Roy was the Pacific-10 Conference's Player of the Year his senior season at Washington. He was drafted with the sixth overall pick by the Minnesota Timberwolves, then traded to Portland for the draft rights to Randy Foye.

The 6-foot-6, 229-pound guard was named the West's Rookie of the Month in January, February and March. He also made the All-Star game's rookie squad. He scored at least 20 points 16 times, including a career-high 29 against Utah on April 4.

The Blazers aggressively marketed "Roy Wonder." T-shirts were emblazoned with the words "My Roy for R.O.Y." The kickoff for the campaign, appropriately, was held in Roy, Ore.

In his NBA debut Nov. 1 in his hometown of Seattle, Roy scored 20 points. He followed that up with a 19-point game at Golden State.

But heel problems kept him out of 20 games early in the season. An MRI revealed an impingement in his left heel bone but no major damage. As a precaution, he wore a protective boot for a couple of weeks until an MRI and a CT scan showed improvement.

Shortly after his return, he had his first career double-double, with 16 points, 10 rebounds and eight assists against Toronto on Dec. 22.

Roy is the third Trail Blazer to the award, joining Geoff Petrie (1970-71) and Sidney Wicks (1971-72).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As expected. The award was never in risk for him. Bargnani may end up as the better pro once all is said and done, but Roy was by far the top rookie this season.

As for the biggest disappointment... probably Morrison. I expected a lot more from him.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:54 pm
As with Barbosa, this was the most expected award of the season.

Props to the kid... even though Tyrus Thomas will one day be regarded as the best player out of that draft. :wink:
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:27 pm
The complete package coming out. Smart for staying at Washington for all 4 years. Yet, I wonder why the Wolves wanted Foye over this kid. I think Roy will be much better than him.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:29 pm
xbaywarrior wrote:The complete package coming out. Smart for staying at Washington for all 4 years. Yet, I wonder why the Wolves wanted Foye over this kid. I think Roy will be much better than him.

The Celtics, too... I mean, Sebastian Telfair is better than THIS kid...?
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:33 pm
32 wrote:
xbaywarrior wrote:The complete package coming out. Smart for staying at Washington for all 4 years. Yet, I wonder why the Wolves wanted Foye over this kid. I think Roy will be much better than him.

Yeah, they could've had quite a team this season after this upcoming draft if they kept the pick and went after Roy. They'd have Jefferson, Pierce, Green, West and either Durant or Oden. The Celtics would have suddenly returned to some type of power. Sure, you can say, but if they picked Roy, they may have not receiver the one to top two picks. Sure, but who can predict the lottery when Stern is at helm.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:20 am
32 wrote:

[sarcasm mode on]You still don't get it. They did to get Ratliff. A shot blocker is the only piece they needed to become a contender[sarcasm mode off]
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:37 am
Expected and over the next 5-6 years, Roy will be the best player out of this draft

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:41 am
migya wrote:Expected and over the next 5-6 years, Roy will be the best player out of this draft

I don't know about that. Bargnani has been quite impressive, and Ty Thomas has lots of talent (although I'd bet on him being a bust, due to character issues)... Roy is the surest thing, and probably will be an all star at some point, but I don't know if he'll be the best.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:17 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:Expected and over the next 5-6 years, Roy will be the best player out of this draft

I don't know about that. Bargnani has been quite impressive, and Ty Thomas has lots of talent (although I'd bet on him being a bust, due to character issues)... Roy is the surest thing, and probably will be an all star at some point, but I don't know if he'll be the best.

Bargnani has been pretty good but nothing special. Roy has the tools to be an allstar but Bargnani looks like he will never be much but it is hard to tell with him

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:23 am

Eh. That's pushing it.

Bargnani will overtake him in 4 years.

And who knows with Tyrus Thomas. Could be 10 years from now, with his attitude problems... or it could be as soon as next year, with the kinda talent that kid has. Look at the statline he dropped on Cleveland at the end of May:

27 points (81%, 90 from the line), 8 rebounds, 1 assists, 3 blocks, 3 steals... in 39 minutes.

Some guys have BS games where they flash brilliance in one categories... MAYBE two, but Thomas dominated in FOUR difference categories. That's special.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:36 am
Roy just looks like a complete package that is already good. He will be allstar caliber in a year or two

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:25 am
Roy is a good player, definately. I doubt he'll be an all-star more than two or three times in his career.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:03 pm
Never know, I don't see anything special with Bargnani and see him being average at best

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:31 pm
Well, Bargnani has a lot on Roy as far as potential... besides being a helluva lot taller, he's got stroke from all over the floor. If Bargnani fills out, he'll be better than Roy, in the long run. Brandon Roy will top out as an 19 PPG, 4.5 RPG, 5 APG scorer. Bargnani could someday be a 25 PPG, 10 RPG, and 1 BPG guy.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:33 am
I just don't see anything special in Bargnani. He is lanky and some what uncoordinated from what I've seen

Next

Return to News Articles