Justice! Crawford suspended for playoffs

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:45 pm
It's about ****ing time! That fool had it coming to him.

The New York Times

April 18, 2007
Referee Suspended for Incident With N.B.A. Star
By LIZ ROBBINS

The N.B.A. suspended the veteran referee Joey Crawford for the last two days of the regular season and the entire playoffs for his behavior Sunday toward Tim Duncan, one of the league’s star players. The San Antonio Spurs forward was sitting on the bench late in the third quarter of a game against the Dallas Mavericks when Crawford ejected him for laughing.

Duncan later said that Crawford had challenged him to a fight during the game.

“Joey Crawford’s handling of this situation failed to meet the standards of professionalism and game management we expect of N.B.A. referees,” Commissioner David Stern said in a statement today.

“Especially in light of similar prior acts by this official, a significant suspension is warranted. Although Joey is consistently rated as one of our top referees, he must be held accountable for his actions on the floor, and we will have further discussions with him following the season to be sure he understands his responsibilities.”

Duncan was called for his first technical foul Sunday while sitting on the bench with 2:20 left in the third quarter when he objected to referee Leroy Richardson’s foul call on the Spurs’ Manu Ginobili. The next time a foul was called on the Spurs, Duncan laughed. Crawford gave him a second technical, which resulted in an immediate ejection, with 1 minute 4 seconds left in the third quarter.

After the Spurs’ 91-86 loss to the Mavericks, Duncan told reporters that he believed Crawford had a vendetta against him.

Crawford is in his 31st season as an N.B.A. referee and has officiated in 38 N.B.A. finals games, the most of any active referee. But, as Stern indicated, this was not the first time Crawford was part of a controversy.

Crawford was called into league offices in 2003 to discuss how he gave four technical fouls to the Dallas Mavericks in Game 2 of the Western Conference finals between the Spurs and the Mavericks. He ejected Don Nelson, who was the Mavericks’ coach, for standing by the scorer’s table in apparent frustration.

Crawford returned to referee two N.B.A. finals games between the Spurs and the Nets.

He is known for his emotional style and comes from a lineage of high-profile officials. His brother, Jerry, is an umpire for Major League Baseball and his father, Shag, was also a Major League Baseball umpire.

Duncan, a two-time league M.V.P., made comments after Sunday’s game that caught the league’s attention. Officials interviewed Duncan and Crawford on Monday.

“Before he gave me the two technical fouls, he made a call and I was shaking my head, and he walks down and stares at me,” Duncan said Sunday, as reported in The San Antonio News-Express. “He says, ‘Do you want to fight? Do you want to fight?’ I didn’t say anything to him there, either.”

Crawford was interviewed by a pool reporter after the game and said that Duncan had been “complaining the whole time.”

“And then he went over to the bench and he was over there doing the same stuff behind our back,” Crawford added.

“I hit him with one and he kept going over there, laughing, and I look over there and he’s still complaining. So I threw him out.”
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:38 pm
Yeah, I saw this, too.

It's about time a referee was visibly punished for throwing his weight around (although, I wish it would have happened for that disgusting Washington game, too).
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:15 pm
I'd never think Duncan, one of the most respected players in the NBA; would get that talk from a ref. Oh well, at least it ain't Dicky-B.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:37 am
More referree accountability is needed!!!!

The players' ability to do their job is effected by referrees and there is much double standards! The nba needs to remember who makes them the money

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:09 am
xbaywarrior wrote:I'd never think Duncan, one of the most respected players in the NBA; would get that talk from a ref. Oh well, at least it ain't Dicky-B.

But Dicky-B would never do that. That was just stupid.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:24 am
Crawford has had a history with this so I am glad that Stern actually stepped in and flexed some spine for the players.

What I was very surprised to hear, however, is what Stern had to say in the PTI interview Tuesday. Apparently Joe Crawford still thinks that he was in the right and probably will not ref in the NBA ever again because he disagrees with his suspension. It's like he hasn't seen the tape.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:32 am
I bet a lot of refs get pissed at Duncan because he whines about every call.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:00 am
Crawford is a bully who has an anger management problem, is irrational and abuses his power. Good riddance. With all the just-retired players in great shape, it is unconscionable that these myopic old relics are determining the outcome, and when it gets personal, as in the case of Crawford, I am pleased that Stern did what he did. Interesting not a peep of dissent from the ref's union. They know he has been a loose cannon. I also think it was a good warning shot across the bow of Steve Javie and a few others that the show is not about them.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:33 pm
JayPat wrote:I bet a lot of refs get pissed at Duncan because he whines about every call.

Yeah, seriously. Ditto for Kobe, Gilbert, and DWade. :roll:

coltraning wrote:Crawford is a bully who has an anger management problem, is irrational and abuses his power. Good riddance. With all the just-retired players in great shape, it is unconscionable that these myopic old relics are determining the outcome, and when it gets personal, as in the case of Crawford, I am pleased that Stern did what he did. Interesting not a peep of dissent from the ref's union. They know he has been a loose cannon. I also think it was a good warning shot across the bow of Steve Javie and a few others that the show is not about them.

I think the NBA might need to start retiring some of their older officials. The younger guys seem better at just doing their jobs. I know senior officials have tons of experience, but they've also gained a huge ego due to it. Joey Crawford, Dick Bavetta, Bob Delaney... they've all had games where the focus has been more on them than the players.

I think its absolutely disgusting when a game degenerates into "I hope these damn ref's don't blow a whistle" or "I wish these damn ref's would start calling fouls", rather than focusing on the players themselves.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:40 pm
32 wrote:
JayPat wrote:I bet a lot of refs get pissed at Duncan because he whines about every call.

Yeah, seriously. Ditto for Kobe, Gilbert, and DWade. :roll:

coltraning wrote:Crawford is a bully who has an anger management problem, is irrational and abuses his power. Good riddance. With all the just-retired players in great shape, it is unconscionable that these myopic old relics are determining the outcome, and when it gets personal, as in the case of Crawford, I am pleased that Stern did what he did. Interesting not a peep of dissent from the ref's union. They know he has been a loose cannon. I also think it was a good warning shot across the bow of Steve Javie and a few others that the show is not about them.

I think the NBA might need to start retiring some of their older officials. The younger guys seem better at just doing their jobs. I know senior officials have tons of experience, but they've also gained a huge ego due to it. Joey Crawford, Dick Bavetta, Bob Delaney... they've all had games where the focus has been more on them than the players.

I think its absolutely disgusting when a game degenerates into "I hope these damn ref's don't blow a whistle" or "I wish these damn ref's would start calling fouls", rather than focusing on the players themselves.

I can agree a lil, the only reason these guys are still around is that they command respect, which is big in Stern's mind. Some of em are good, but I hate that guy Steve Javey or whatever. :banghead:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:54 pm
I think some of the semi-veteran officials are best; guys with experience, who know the game, but aren't big-headed because they've been reffing the game's finest for 30 seasons.

Just kidding, Bavetta. You did a decent job during Game 1. :wink:
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:36 pm
32 wrote:I think some of the semi-veteran officials are best; guys with experience, who know the game, but aren't big-headed because they've been reffing the game's finest for 30 seasons.

Just kidding, Bavetta. You did a decent job during Game 1. :wink:

I agree - it will be very interesting to see how game 2 is called. Will Cuban's whining about JRich following the laws of gravity have an effect? I thought there were a couple of jive charging calls, but the block/charge is almost impossible to call, and there are some great actor/floppers out there. Monta tried one major flop and didnt get the call, but overall, a well-reffed game.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:45 pm
Yeah, I'm always in favor of just letting the guys play.

Harrington's probably the only one who suffers in that system; he tends to miss his lay-ups looking for contact, so its especially frustrating when he's missing 4 easy ones inside simply because he thinks he's gonna get hit. :roll: :banghead:

Other than that, it's great for the Warriors. I know we're a poor FT shooting team, but Baron, SJax, and Monta (aka, the ones who get to the line often) have been solid this year. As long as Richardson and Harrington are making their other shots count, we're probably best suited for a loose called game.

Return to News Articles