One of Nelson's top coaching campaigns?

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:43 am
The other night... Diogu had 9 points and 2 rebounds in 11 minutes!.... but he also fouled out. Are you kiddin' me? 6 fouls in 11 minutes? The guy is foul prone which gives him less playing time when given at times.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:59 am
xbaywarrior wrote:The other night... Diogu had 9 points and 2 rebounds in 11 minutes!.... but he also fouled out. Are you kiddin' me? 6 fouls in 11 minutes? The guy is foul prone which gives him less playing time when given at times.

You think that's what happened every game???? Even in that game you mentiond, Diogu was real productive. The rest of the games, he just doesn't get the court time

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:12 am
migya wrote:
xbaywarrior wrote:The other night... Diogu had 9 points and 2 rebounds in 11 minutes!.... but he also fouled out. Are you kiddin' me? 6 fouls in 11 minutes? The guy is foul prone which gives him less playing time when given at times.

You think that's what happened every game???? Even in that game you mentiond, Diogu was real productive. The rest of the games, he just doesn't get the court time

No, I'm basing that on the fact that there's a reason why even the best coaches can't trust him to go out and be productive on a consistent basis. He's putting up solid numbers one night, the next he's riding the bench with foul trouble in limited action. I think Diogu can pan out... we've all seen what AB did. He would always be getting into foul trouble early, never staying on his feet. He changed his game over the summer, and look what happened. He's potentially one the top centers in the West.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:18 am
When he was with the Warriors the reasons for him not playing were just not justified enough but now with the Pacers, it is the fact that they have Jermaine O'neal that is the main reason why Diogu doesn't play much. Murphy is known more for being an outside shooter now than anything else so he plays next to Jermaine a fair bit. Diogu may have his flaws but his pros are far to valuable and productive to keep him from playing alot of minutes. I reckon a team like the Hawks or Sonics would benefit alot with Diogu, as they have outside shooters and at least two other stars that could benefit from any double teams Diogu gets and also prevent double teams from happening alot

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:45 am
xbaywarrior wrote:No, I'm basing that on the fact that there's a reason why even the best coaches can't trust him to go out and be productive on a consistent basis. He's putting up solid numbers one night, the next he's riding the bench with foul trouble in limited action. I think Diogu can pan out... we've all seen what AB did. He would always be getting into foul trouble early, never staying on his feet. He changed his game over the summer, and look what happened. He's potentially one the top centers in the West.

I don't think foul trouble is a big issue with Ike. Sure it happens from time to time, but not in every game. He has played games over 20 min and ended up with 2 fouls or so.

I can understand other reasons, like him being the focus of the offense and not passing as much as he should, but fouls, while being a slight issue, is not as much as it was with Biedrins...
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:07 am
O.G. Broe wrote:If Ike made the most of his opportunities he would have played more minutes, but fouls/confusion/inability to pass out of a double team/defense/rebounding cut his minutes & opportunites down.

Nothing more to add.

It's pretty conclusive; the whole "Nelson didn't like him" routine is blown apart when someone brings up the fact that Montgomery and Carlisle don't like him either. Sure, one can plead insanity with Monty... but Carlisle's a different story. Hell, his entire offense is based around the post. Don't tell me that if Ike Diogu were the insanely talented post monster most of you take him for, Rick Carlisle wouldn't have a place for him. Even with Jermaine O'Neal in the lineup, Carlisle isn't able to find even 15 minutes a night for someone who, supposedly, is unstoppable in the post? I don't buy it.

As broe said, Diogu didn't make the most of his opportunities. Some of you may claim that he produced numbers in limited time, which is true... but how conclusive are numbers? To prove my point, answer me this: would you rather have Troy Murphy's 15 and 10 from a year ago... or Andris Biedrins' 10 and 10 this year?

Ike was the same idea; he'd put up numbers, but what you wouldn't see on a box score was that the offense totally catered to him, he got an insane amount of touches, and he'd be pulled out of the game immediately when he started falling apart.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Previous

Return to News Articles