Van Gundy's (not so) honest answer to tanking

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:24 am
The Dallas Mavericks with the No. 1 pick in the 2007 NBA draft? If Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy had his way, that could happen.

Van Gundy wants to open up the NBA draft lottery to all 30 NBA teams in an effort to keep teams from losing intentionally to hopefully secure the No. 1 pick.

"I think every team should have an equal chance at winning the lottery, from the best team all the way down," Van Gundy told The Houston Chronicle. "I don't want to accuse anyone of anything. I would say to take away any possible conflict of interest, everyone should have an equal chance at the top pick all the way down. That way there would be absolutely no question by anybody about anything.

"If it's better for the game, they should do it. I never quite understood why losing is rewarded, other than [for] parity."

According to The Chronicle, Van Gundy presented his proposal to the NBA, but wasn't taken seriously.

I'd like to hear him saying the same thing if he were coaching the Celtics. He knows he has enough cred to never have to coach a bad team again... I wonder if he'd think the same in that case.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:26 am
hahahaha
Role Player
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:39 am
Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of tanking.

But, that's just about the biggest crock I've heard about the draft in a long time. Everyone has an equal chance? Hell, if you wanna do that, why not just make the draft like a fantasy league; buy the players. Whoever wants to offer the best contract gets the guy. THAT would work, right?
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:42 pm
Whenever any outcome takes humans into consideration, the result will often be crooked. Its just the truth.

The idea of the lottery is to give the worst team in the league the best shot at drafting the best player. Obviously, many people without morals who want to make a quick buck will tamper with the system and intentionally lose to raise their chances at grabbing a marquee player. I understand it... but, at the same time, its just something too low for me to ever do.

Its a shame that people don't find this dispicable. Its the sports-version of going on wellfare when you're still pulling in money. :roll:
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:26 pm
drazz wrote:Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of tanking.

But, that's just about the biggest crock I've heard about the draft in a long time. Everyone has an equal chance? Hell, if you wanna do that, why not just make the draft like a fantasy league; buy the players. Whoever wants to offer the best contract gets the guy. THAT would work, right?

You said it right! There wil always be a bit of fraud but things are good as they are as it is aimed to even up the talent between teams in the nba

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:02 am
I don't have a problem with tanking. That's why there's a lottery. You may tank and lose every f*cking game til the end of the season... and still don't have the #1 pick. It's a fair system... as fair it can possibly be, at least.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:01 am
TMC wrote:I don't have a problem with tanking. That's why there's a lottery. You may tank and lose every f*cking game til the end of the season... and still don't have the #1 pick. It's a fair system... as fair it can possibly be, at least.

Which explains why the Warriors did not receive the first pick couple times during those "years." They didn't tank during those years, but they had a horrible record and some years, had the worst one but still didn't get it.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:08 am
xbaywarrior wrote:
TMC wrote:I don't have a problem with tanking. That's why there's a lottery. You may tank and lose every f*cking game til the end of the season... and still don't have the #1 pick. It's a fair system... as fair it can possibly be, at least.

Which explains why the Warriors did not receive the first pick couple times during those "years." They didn't tank during those years, but they had a horrible record and some years, had the worst one but still didn't get it.

But the year they got Joe Smith, they had like the 6th worst record, so they got lucky there, as far as getting the #1 pick that is :mrgreen: In all honesty, Joe Smith was good his first couple of seasons but that was the Garnett draft

migya make the ring fall on ya

Return to News Articles