Davis is back in lineup despite pain

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:50 am
Davis is back in lineup despite pain

OAKLAND -- Baron Davis' surgically cleaned left knee felt good enough for him to play Monday night, but the Warriors guard knows it's no guarantee he'll be available for the team's final 16 games.

"You've got to take the good with the bad," said Davis, who played in three games after Feb. 13 arthroscopic surgery before sitting out a 106-87 loss to the Portland Trail Blazers on Sunday. "I've been allowed to come back from injury and play and be effective, but at times there's side effects to the knee, to where it's telling me I'm not all the way (healthy) yet."

Davis said he's not risking any further injury by playing but that he has to deal with the pain in order to be effective. In the first half against the Dallas Mavericks on Monday, Davis' 13 minutes were broken up into two stints. He started and played the first 7:45, then sat out until 5:20 remained in the half.

In the meantime, he received stretching and medical help from members of the team's training staff and spent some time on a stationary bike keeping the knee warm.

"When it swells up, I'll get treatment," Davis said. "Other than that, I'm going to play every game I can. If I can't play, then obviously it's not feeling well."

Having gone 4-10 in the 14 games Davis has missed after his surgery, the Warriors know they must have Davis on the floor as much as possible if they're to reach the postseason.

"You could tell by the game that our energy definitely went down without having Baron," guard Stephen Jackson said Sunday. "The easy shots that we get, the leadership that we get ... you could see that he was definitely missed."

Speaking of leadership, Davis has been much more vocal since his return, both from the bench and on the floor, often getting into teammates after defensive lapses that led to easy buckets.

"Somebody's got to do it," said Davis, who admitted that kind of leadership has been lacking at times this season. "I've just got to do what the team needs, that's all."

A bit iffy his knee. Maybe he can hold up for the majority of the games

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:57 am
migya wrote:A bit iffy his knee. Maybe he can hold up for the majority of the games

He better does. We're f*cked if not.

Return to News Articles