Excuse Warriors for thinking playoffs.

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:42 pm
32 wrote:Harrington's not a traditional PF; but he's definately a starter.

He may not be able to block shots or play physical post offense as well as traditional PF's, but he also does many things far better than the status quo (his passing skills, handling, scoring, and running come to mind). The things that Harrington excells at are the things this team does well. He's custom built for this offensive scheme.

People who want to abandon Harrington are the people who want to abandon the running style we're currently playing... and revert back to grind it out defense and crashing the boards. I seem to recall a time where we had players like Danny Fortson, Antawn Jamison, Eric Dampier, Jason Caffey, and Chris Mills... and most Warrior fans were dying for a team like we've got now.

I don't want Harrington because he doesn't amke the team any better really. He runs and shoots well but that hasn't done much in the win column and those that say it was Baron being out need to look at the team before the trade in games where Baron didn't play - They won alot of them!

I like the run and gun style but the fact is it just hasn't worked, even with a lineup with alot of talent that is made for that particular style! It looks like it will never work, especially in only three years that Nelson will be here.

A slight change is needed that addresses the ever present weaknesses of rebounding and defense - Both that cost the team all the time! Harrington is no PF and SJackson, though he comes up with big performances now and then and plays some decent defense, chucks up too many shots and can cost the team more than he helps them. Those are the first that I'd trade for something good only ofcourse. Baron is very good but his injuryproneness and relative bad shot selection can cost the team as well, especially for the amount he makes

migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:00 am
:bs: 3-0 Go Warrior's :!:
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:55 am
JayPat wrote:How about Powell, POB + our first rounder for like the sixth or seventh pick?

Powell is a free agent, JayPat... but yeah, I somewhat agree. We have enough good players to strike some trade for a higher draft pick.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:21 am
migya wrote:

He may not be able to block shots or play physical post offense as well as traditional PF's, but he also does many things far better than the status quo (his passing skills, handling, scoring, and running come to mind). The things that Harrington excells at are the things this team does well. He's custom built for this offensive scheme.

People who want to abandon Harrington are the people who want to abandon the running style we're currently playing... and revert back to grind it out defense and crashing the boards. I seem to recall a time where we had players like Danny Fortson, Antawn Jamison, Eric Dampier, Jason Caffey, and Chris Mills... and most Warrior fans were dying for a team like we've got now.

I don't want Harrington because he doesn't amke the team any better really. He runs and shoots well but that hasn't done much in the win column and those that say it was Baron being out need to look at the team before the trade in games where Baron didn't play - They won alot of them!

I like the run and gun style but the fact is it just hasn't worked, even with a lineup with alot of talent that is made for that particular style! It looks like it will never work, especially in only three years that Nelson will be here.

A slight change is needed that addresses the ever present weaknesses of rebounding and defense - Both that cost the team all the time! Harrington is no PF and SJackson, though he comes up with big performances now and then and plays some decent defense, chucks up too many shots and can cost the team more than he helps them. Those are the first that I'd trade for something good only ofcourse. Baron is very good but his injuryproneness and relative bad shot selection can cost the team as well, especially for the amount he makes

I don't think you can correctly claim that the 'run and gun style just hasn't worked' here... last year, at this time, we were already thinking of lottery balls. This year (besides a few cinicals), we're hoping to nab the final playoff spot (hell, if we stay healthy, maybe even the 7th seed).

And Harrington doesn't need to carry the team; he's a role player. And that role player was a franchise-level guy in Atlanta last year. I'd gladly have a franchise-level 3rd or 4th option rather than a guy like Troy Murphy... or even a traditional PF, like Ike Diogu.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:16 am
32 wrote:
migya wrote:

I don't think you can correctly claim that the 'run and gun style just hasn't worked' here... last year, at this time, we were already thinking of lottery balls. This year (besides a few cinicals), we're hoping to nab the final playoff spot (hell, if we stay healthy, maybe even the 7th seed).

And Harrington doesn't need to carry the team; he's a role player. And that role player was a franchise-level guy in Atlanta last year. I'd gladly have a franchise-level 3rd or 4th option rather than a guy like Troy Murphy... or even a traditional PF, like Ike Diogu.

Harrington is a talented player! BUT, he hasn't made the team win alot more (so far at least, maybe with Baron alongside him that could change as he might be real effective with a great PG). More major gripe is that, as that is the ultimate aim - to get better. The rebounding he gives is decent but nothing more as well

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:39 am
I don't know.

I totally agree that Harrington won't give us a lot more victories, but how many players in this league will? I can see a KG or a Tim Duncan giving us 7-10 more per year... and how many teams are willing to part with them (at least, without taking Monta or Biedrins)?

Al Harrington may not be a total stud, but he's a player capable of averaging 16 PPG and 7 RPG in a 4th option role. For me, that's good enough. I can't see us getting more meaningful production out of a 4th option player.

If Baron and Richardson can lead us (which, they can... the question is can they stay healthy), I think we have an onslaught of role players that few teams in the league can match. Stephen Jackson, Al Harrington, and Monta Ellis could very well be star players on different squads... and they aren't even our 2nd options.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:03 am
A PF that defended and rebounded better would be a much better role player. In Nelson's system, such a PF would go unused so it is no use getting one most likely

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:23 am
migya wrote:A PF that defended and rebounded better would be a much better role player. In Nelson's system, such a PF would go unused so it is no use getting one most likely

Exactly, so what's the point?

Harrington seems perfect for Nelson's system. Forged by God Himself in the vision of Nelly. :wink:
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:09 pm
32 wrote:I don't know.

I totally agree that Harrington won't give us a lot more victories, but how many players in this league will? I can see a KG or a Tim Duncan giving us 7-10 more per year... and how many teams are willing to part with them (at least, without taking Monta or Biedrins)?

Al Harrington may not be a total stud, but he's a player capable of averaging 16 PPG and 7 RPG in a 4th option role. For me, that's good enough. I can't see us getting more meaningful production out of a 4th option player.

If Baron and Richardson can lead us (which, they can... the question is can they stay healthy), I think we have an onslaught of role players that few teams in the league can match. Stephen Jackson, Al Harrington, and Monta Ellis could very well be star players on different squads... and they aren't even our 2nd options.

yeah - nice to have 3 "4th options" who have all scored 30 plus points this year. Last night was the perfect example of the good warriors. At least 6 different players scored double digits, and I loved the fact that Baron only had to play 23 minutes Also notable and surprising was that Barnett called out Baron for going into his one on one at one point. Ol Jim is starting to find a set, finally. When baron did that, it really stood out, since the ball movement had been outstanding all night to that point. I understand that the Ws had an insurmountable lead, and baron was tring to take the air out of the ball, though. Lastly, with a healthy JRich, Baron, SJax and Monta and a sentient Pietrus, the Ws are starting to play some genuine, bona fide, man to man D for the first time all year. They are 4 and 1 in their last 5 and in all 4 games their defense was what won them the games. I never thought those words would exit my typing fingers in reference to a Don Nelson team. They keep playing that level of D it is a guarantee they will make the playoffs. They are certainly playing the best ball of anyone from 6 down in the West right now. They better, because they have the toughest remaining strength of schedule of anyone in the league at .568%...
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:40 pm
32 wrote:
migya wrote:A PF that defended and rebounded better would be a much better role player. In Nelson's system, such a PF would go unused so it is no use getting one most likely

Harrington seems perfect for Nelson's system. Forged by God Himself in the vision of Nelly. :wink:

Well, Nelson system doesn't work much does it :wink:

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:22 am
migya wrote:
32 wrote:

Of course not. We're only making the playoffs for the first time in over a deadcade.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:55 am
32 wrote:
migya wrote:
32 wrote:

Of course not. We're only making the playoffs for the first time in over a deadcade.

With the talent that's here and the fact that the last coach was the disgraceful Monty, you'd think the team would have won 45 + this season with the talent that's here

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:31 am
migya wrote:
32 wrote:
migya wrote:
32 wrote:

With the talent that's here and the fact that the last coach was the disgraceful Monty, you'd think the team would have won 45 + this season with the talent that's here

Thats total overexpectation. To think Golden State would have won 45 is one thing... but to hold Don Nelson to that sort of record (when they only won 34 games last season) is wrong. Nelson's done a great job this year. In the most heated playoff race in years, Golden State's doing a great job staying in it.

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:24 pm
I agree 32, Also the injury's & mid season transition of trades & getting J Rich back but losing Baron etc..

Nelson hasn't had the luxury of using the "Talent" together for his "system" until this recent successful stretch :!: :D
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:31 pm
O.G. Broe wrote:I agree 32, Also the injury's & mid season transition of trades & getting J Rich back but losing Baron etc..

Nelson hasn't had the luxury of using the "Talent" together for his "system" until this recent successful stretch :!: :D

I'm pretty sure Nelson's "system", when the "talent" is healthy, has been undefeated this season, so far.
PreviousNext

Return to News Articles