Mitch Richmond's assist to Harrington..Camby vs Bedrins.

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:43 am
Timely advice sets Harrington right.

OAKLAND -- Al Harrington got a little carried away. He admitted as much.

His outside shot had been falling, so he fell in love, even when it stopped falling. During a three-game stretch -- at home vs. the Los Angeles Lakers, at Milwaukee and Chicago -- his jumper fetish had him averaging 11 points on 36.8 percent shooting, including 1-for-10 from 3-point range.

So, with a little advice from an accomplished NBA scorer, Harrington went back to the basics.

"I was struggling," Harrington said. "In New York, (Warriors special assistant) Mitch Richmond pulled me aside and, I was already thinking it but he told me to start in the post."

Against New York, Washington and Detroit, Harrington got his offense back on track by getting on the block, going to work about 10 feet from the basket -- close enough to use his strength and far enough to use his quickness. A few layups got him going, and before long, his 3-point stroke was clicking again.

Harrington had 26 against the Knicks on Friday, 25 against the Wizards on Sunday and 16 Monday against the Pistons, going a combined 26-for-55 (47.3 percent), 8-for-11 from behind the arc.

Harrington said Warriors coach Don Nelson has given him the green light to post-up anytime. So it's just a matter of Harrington recognizing matchups and shaking that jumper crave. He said he's comfortable posting from either side, against any defender. It's been his bread-and-butter for most of his career.

"That's my game," Harrington said, "going down there and being a beast. I'm too fast for bigger players and too strong for small players."

Model center

Warriors center Andris Biedrins went up against one of the few centers he can pattern his game after in Denver's Marcus Camby.

Like Biedrins, Camby is long and lean and thrives in an up-tempo setting. He's a rebound machine, his 11.6 per game average ranks fifth in the NBA, and he leads the league in blocks (3.14) -- certainly numbers Biedrins (averaging 9.6 rebounds, 1.85 blocks) would love to emulate.

"He plays same way as me," said Biedrins, who has 19 double-doubles this season. "He has awesome numbers. He rebounds. He blocks shots. He runs the floor. That's where I want my game to be."

What makes Camby so effective, however, is he can produce on offense, too. He has a nice midrange jump shot that Biedrins is eyeing. The goal of producing like Camby is what keeps Biedrins humble and working.

"Yep, that's what I'm saying," Biedrins said. "I still have a ways to go."

Off glass..

Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony, the league's leading scorer, did not make the trip to Oakland. He stayed in Denver with his fiancee, MTV veejay LaLa Vazquez, who gave birth Wednesday afternoon to a boy, Kiyan. It was the couple's first child. ... The Warriors used the same starting lineup Wednesday against Denver as they did at Detroit. It was the first time since late last month (Feb. 21 vs. Memphis and Feb. 24 at the Los Angeles Clippers) that the Warriors have used the same starters in consecutive games. They lead the league in starting lineups used with 35. ... Denver Nuggets guard J.R. Smith (left knee surgery) did not join the team in Oakland.

-- Marcus Thompson II
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:59 am
O.G. Broe wrote:Like Biedrins, Camby is long and lean and thrives in an up-tempo setting. He's a rebound machine, his 11.6 per game average ranks fifth in the NBA, and he leads the league in blocks (3.14) -- certainly numbers Biedrins (averaging 9.6 rebounds, 1.85 blocks) would love to emulate.

"He plays same way as me," said Biedrins, who has 19 double-doubles this season. "He has awesome numbers. He rebounds. He blocks shots. He runs the floor. That's where I want my game to be."

What makes Camby so effective, however, is he can produce on offense, too. He has a nice midrange jump shot that Biedrins is eyeing. The goal of producing like Camby is what keeps Biedrins humble and working.

"Yep, that's what I'm saying," Biedrins said. "I still have a ways to go."

Great comparison and getting a jumper like Camby has would make Biedrins a real star Center! Hope he really is looking at Camby and wanting to be like him

migya make the ring fall on ya
Role Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:04 pm
I totally agree. The one thing holding AB back from being a real star center would be a nice little midrange game.
Basketball hope in the City Of Dope?
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:49 pm
absolutely, and he is young enough that it could happen. he has improved his FT shooting a lot this year. Next year get a 12-15 foot jumper and he will add 6-7 points to his game
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:12 pm
I don't even think he needs a midrange; just anything would do. A baby hook. An up-and-under. Anything.

Right now, if Biedrins doesn't get a free dunk, he's going for a foul or a 2-inch lay-up. Biedrins doesn't necessarily need a midrange (although, I agree, it would make him MUCH more dangerous); just a few post moves would do.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:44 pm
32 wrote:I don't even think he needs a midrange; just anything would do. A baby hook. An up-and-under. Anything.

Right now, if Biedrins doesn't get a free dunk, he's going for a foul or a 2-inch lay-up. Biedrins doesn't necessarily need a midrange (although, I agree, it would make him MUCH more dangerous); just a few post moves would do.

This offseason Biedrins should work on everythong, especially adding a couple of postmoves, a hook would be valuable and a midrange jumper would be incredible (though unlikely he would add that as soon as next season). Getting a midrange jumper though would make him capable of being a real star player that is pretty unstoppable, with the skills and hustle that he has already shown this season. What I don't want to happen, as happens with most players, is that he gets in love with the jump shot and takes to it, forgetting to stay closer to the basket and what he is most effective doing. That hasn't happened with Camby so Biedrins should really follow that example

All Star
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:39 am
32 wrote:I don't even think he needs a midrange; just anything would do. A baby hook. An up-and-under. Anything.

He does use the up-and-under.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:47 am
JayPat wrote:

Seen him out at the Oakland nightclubs doing some upskirt in the alley act have you :mrgreen:

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:18 pm
JayPat wrote:

I've never seen Biedrins use a fake of any kind. Sometimes he loses the ball before he goes up, but he definately doesn't head-fake. Biedrins just goes straight up.
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:57 pm
Huh? I've seen Biedrins use plenty of fakes, and he is extremely effective at using them. That's probably his main way of scoring (besides catching passes and dunking).

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:12 pm
His favorite move is the low reset dribble which is like a fake.
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:25 pm
O.G. Broe wrote:His favorite move is the low reset dribble which is like a fake.

Right, I've seen him use that.

When Biedrins is without a dribble, I've never seen him work. Not once. Sometimes (when he's outside of the circle), he uses his speed and quasi-handles to dribble to the side and knock down a lay-up, but nothing that resembles fundamental, post-sound basketball. No nasty spin. No up and under fake. No little fader. No baby hook. Just lay-ups, dunks, and occasional ally-oops.

If Biedrins could add ANYTHING to his offensive post game, he'd be all-star worthy (some of us already think he IS).
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:46 am
JayPat wrote:Huh? I've seen Biedrins use plenty of fakes, and he is extremely effective at using them. That's probably his main way of scoring (besides catching passes and dunking).

Yep... probably his only way to score, other than some free dunks. Anything he can add would be great... as long as he doesn't change his game.

I mean, look what happened to Murphy when he started to hit some outside shots.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:17 am
Dear God; I'm not saying I want Biedrins to turn into Nenad Kristic or anything. But to become more Camby-like, he needs offensive savy.

Camby is consistently among the league's best in shot-blocking and rebounding, but a real weapon of his is the fact that he's an offensive threat as well (both athletically and skillfully).

So far, Biedrins is an athletic offensive threat... but not a skillful one.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:14 am
32 wrote:Dear God; I'm not saying I want Biedrins to turn into Nenad Kristic or anything. But to become more Camby-like, he needs offensive savy.

Camby is consistently among the league's best in shot-blocking and rebounding, but a real weapon of his is the fact that he's an offensive threat as well (both athletically and skillfully).

So far, Biedrins is an athletic offensive threat... but not a skillful one.

I agree with this. Camby doesn't average more points but he could because he has the skils to do so, not much more but maybe 15pts a game. Biedrins becoming like Camby would be so great! Camby was definately allstar caliber this season but it is the fact that he does the things that mean alot, as Biedrins does, that make him so valuable - Defense and rebounding

Next

Return to News Articles