Pietrus trade talk,possibly including Foyle, Magloire, Dixon

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:06 pm
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:Pietrus has done decently and that is good to be a bench player at least, which is what he should be on this team now with the players that are here and the way they have performed. Pietrus still has worth and, as I said he could be used in a package to get a very good player

You know, I'm with 32 here. Pietrus is a decent player to have in a roster... but we are loaded in his spot(s), which makes him expandable. He should have a long career in the NBA, but probably not with us.

We're probably keeping him to do a sign-and-trade this offseason. I'd be ok trading him for a future first rounder (probably out of the lottery, tho).

That's pretty much what I said in my last post. Pietrus is expendable IF the other guys who play swingmen are kept. A package deal involving Pietrus would have been good but he now will be a free agent

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:19 pm
No, you said out of all the players we have that he deserves a bench spot. I totally disagree. Pietrus' money is worth more to us than he is.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:44 am
32 wrote:No, you said out of all the players we have that he deserves a bench spot. I totally disagree. Pietrus' money is worth more to us than he is.

migya wrote:Pietrus has done decently and that is good to be a bench player at least, which is what he should be on this team now with the players that are here and the way they have performed. Pietrus still has worth and, as I said he could be used in a package to get a very good player

That is what I wrote! Meaning, Pietrus has done well enough to be a bench player on this team AND he should really only be coming off the bench and not be a starter with players like SJackson and Barnes!

Pietrus still could be used in a trade package, meaning he could still be used for something god and not just let go but likely he will leave

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:18 am

32 wrote:No, you said out of all the players we have that he deserves a bench spot. I totally disagree. Pietrus' money is worth more to us than he is.

migya wrote:That is what I wrote! Meaning, Pietrus has done well enough to be a bench player on this team AND he should really only be coming off the bench and not be a starter with players like SJackson and Barnes!

Pietrus still could be used in a trade package, meaning he could still be used for something god and not just let go but likely he will leave

You're misunderstanding; I acknowledged that you said Pietrus deserves a bench spot... I'm simply disagreeing with you.

Pietrus has zero trade value (unless it's for a second-round pick... or a cupcake, like Juan Dixon) and his talent level is so low, I'd rather have his money than have him. Therefore, I don't believe he's worth a resign (which basically means I don't think he's worthy of a bench spot on this team when we have other players, like Azuibuke and Barnes, who can do more things better than he can).
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:38 pm
You don't think Pietrus is good enough to at least be a bench player on the team :shock: The guy is good enough for that at least but not good enough to be starting, unless he plays like he did earlier in the season

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:06 pm
Nope. I don't believe Pietrus deserves a bench spot on this team. Here's why:

1) His outside jumper only works in the corners. Anything where he can see the backboard isn't going in, unless it's a lay-up.

2) For a run-and-gun team, Pietrus can't handle the ball at all and his passing skills are lacks (two things that are vital in this lineup). 99% of the players in this league can finish at the rim. We need guys who can finish... but also handle and distribute (ala, Harrington, Baron, SJax, Monta, Barnes, Azuibuke, Richardson).

3) Pietrus doesn't possess any abnormal values to him (like speed, height, elevation, ect) that give him an edge on his opponents. One might argue he can fly, but I just don't see it. Pietrus dunks are rarely OVER anybody... and they aren't anything special on the break either.

4) Pietrus doesn't bring anything to the table that we don't already have (in a better supply). His defense is horribly overrated (doesn't average ONE steal or ONE block... and plays more minutes than anyone besides Baron, Monta, Jackson, or Harrington).

5) Mickael hasn't improved since coming to the league. Richardson's handles have made leaps and bounds. Ellis' playmaking skills are coming along. Biedrins beefed up and rebounds well now. Pietrus... is still what he was coming out of France.

I could go on and on, if you want...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:04 pm
Truth about Pietrus:

1. He is a great athlete that can finish pretty well. He doesn't have the ball handling skills but doesn't need them as Baron and Monta are the ones that do the handling and distributing and Pietrus has done well alongside Baron.

2. His defense is perhaps the best on the team outside Biedrins. Pietrus is the one that sticks the star guards and SFs and he has had his moments of success. Noone else on the team can be called on to guard a 6'4' - 6'8 player like Pietrus and though he has not become an absolute stopper, he does the job pretty well.

3. His shot is decent. He can hit the corner three and that is a "role" that he plays well. Not every player needs to be able to hit from everywhere and it is better that guys have defined roles as to what they can and can't do, as Nelson made it clear to Pietrus in the preseason.

Pietrus is not great and should have improved alot more by now but he plays his role well and will not expect to be the star, as he has shown this season by taking to Nelsons instructions. He should not be resigned for more than 3 million a year because SJackson should be the starting SF and so Pietrus should be coming off the bench. He is not great but plays his role and that is something the team needs as too many players that want to be the star never works

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:05 am
Your #1 point completely dodges the fact that Pietrus can't handle or dish. I'm not saying the guy needs to play PG (so your Monta/Baron reference is meaningless); I'm saying he can't run a fast break... and the players on this team who CANT run a fast break don't get a ton of time (besides Biedrins and Pietrus).

Mickael Pietrus' handling/passing skills are only ahead of Biedrins, Foyle, and Powell. Even Caparkaba is better than he is. It's a glaring weakness; not a simple one, like you're trying to make it seem. He's 6'6" and can't handle the ball. Are you kidding me??

And you have absolutely no proof on your 2nd point. I asked you in another thread to name a decent defender who can't manage one block or one steal in over 30 minutes a game and you couldn't. So, just for further proof, lets look at how much Pietrus (whose started the majority of the games here at SF) has locked up our opposition, shall we...

Shawn Marion 11/20/06 - 18 & 11, shooting 50% from the field.
Carmelo Anthony 11/22/06 - 33 points on 67% shooting. Plus 9 rebounds.
Al Harrington 11/29/06 - 28 points on 58% shooting (6/8 beyond the arc).
Morris Peterson 12/17/06 - 23 points on 60% shooting (5/9 beyond the arc) and 9 rebounds.
Mike Miller 1/6/07 - 33 points on 73% shooting (9/12 beyond the arc).
Andre Iguodala 2/2/07 - 25 points, 10 rebounds, 13 assists... way to lock him up, Frenchie.

Keep in mind, these are totally random games. I'm just clicking on games over the Warriors schedule and every one of them seems to have the SF explode for a great game. And that wasn't even Mike Miller's best game against Pietrus; he came back and dropped over 40 on him last time.

How the hell can you justify THAT? He doesn't put up great individual stats on defense... and his opponents school the **** out of him? Where's the 'great defense' you're talking about???
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:14 pm
32 wrote:Your #1 point completely dodges the fact that Pietrus can't handle or dish. I'm not saying the guy needs to play PG (so your Monta/Baron reference is meaningless); I'm saying he can't run a fast break... and the players on this team who CANT run a fast break don't get a ton of time (besides Biedrins and Pietrus).

Mickael Pietrus' handling/passing skills are only ahead of Biedrins, Foyle, and Powell. Even Caparkaba is better than he is. It's a glaring weakness; not a simple one, like you're trying to make it seem. He's 6'6" and can't handle the ball. Are you kidding me??

And you have absolutely no proof on your 2nd point. I asked you in another thread to name a decent defender who can't manage one block or one steal in over 30 minutes a game and you couldn't. So, just for further proof, lets look at how much Pietrus (whose started the majority of the games here at SF) has locked up our opposition, shall we...

Shawn Marion 11/20/06 - 18 & 11, shooting 50% from the field.
Carmelo Anthony 11/22/06 - 33 points on 67% shooting. Plus 9 rebounds.
Al Harrington 11/29/06 - 28 points on 58% shooting (6/8 beyond the arc).
Morris Peterson 12/17/06 - 23 points on 60% shooting (5/9 beyond the arc) and 9 rebounds.
Mike Miller 1/6/07 - 33 points on 73% shooting (9/12 beyond the arc).
Andre Iguodala 2/2/07 - 25 points, 10 rebounds, 13 assists... way to lock him up, Frenchie.

Keep in mind, these are totally random games. I'm just clicking on games over the Warriors schedule and every one of them seems to have the SF explode for a great game. And that wasn't even Mike Miller's best game against Pietrus; he came back and dropped over 40 on him last time.

How the hell can you justify THAT? He doesn't put up great individual stats on defense... and his opponents school the **** out of him? Where's the 'great defense' you're talking about???

Firstly, You have a PG to run the break for you so not everyone has to do it themselves, the rest of the guys fill the lanes. Pietrus finishes well and that is what he has to do.

About his defense, Everyone has seen games, this season and every season Pietrus has played, where he has played great defense and restricted opponents well, plain and simple. About the other thread - Go look at it and you will see my response :wink:

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:27 pm
Here are my thoughts on MP. when you watch pietrus play it is abundantly clear that he is a dumb player with no handles, a streaky shot, prone to turnovers and charges, blessed with excellent hops and speed. He really has not progressed much past his rookie year, so if it comes to a choice between keeping him or Jackson there is no choice. I watched him suck badly today, clueless on offense and his shot was off. When he first came here, I was thrilled, thought he was truly lock down and would develop into a killer SF. Was really convinced that Musselman was hurting his progress by limiting his playing time. After seeing him play and get a LOT of minutes this season, I now think Musselman was right about him, just like he was right about Dunleavy.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:22 pm
coltraning wrote:Here are my thoughts on MP. when you watch pietrus play it is abundantly clear that he is a dumb player with no handles, a streaky shot, prone to turnovers and charges, blessed with excellent hops and speed. He really has not progressed much past his rookie year, so if it comes to a choice between keeping him or Jackson there is no choice. I watched him suck badly today, clueless on offense and his shot was off. When he first came here, I was thrilled, thought he was truly lock down and would develop into a killer SF. Was really convinced that Musselman was hurting his progress by limiting his playing time. After seeing him play and get a LOT of minutes this season, I now think Musselman was right about him, just like he was right about Dunleavy.

You're correct, Mr. Coltraning.

Did you see MP (who was planted on Kobe Bryant today) totally lock up Mr. 81?? Kobe was limited to a quiet night of 26 points, 6 boards, 6 assists, and 3 steals. :roll: :banghead:

All the while, MP showed us his offensive value on the other end, scoring 4 points in 24 minutes of playing time.

The proof migya, as you so eloquently put it, is in the pudding.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:30 am
I said that Pietrus had not improved much since he arrived and only pointed out some strengths of his while #32 was saying he was no good at all. As I said, he is expendable because the team now has three or four players at the same position as him who have either performed as good, showed potential, or played better than he has. Pietrus should only be resigned as a bench player for 2-3 million a year max! He does not deserve to start or get a big contract

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:44 am
migya wrote:Pietrus has done decently and that is good to be a bench player at least, which is what he should be on this team

You didn't say he's expendable; you said he's worthy of a bench spot. That's not true. We need his money more than we need him. That's been my point all along.

Don't suddenly turn around and act like you've been opened to letting him walk now that coltraning agrees with me.
Previous

Return to News Articles