Pietrus trade talk,possibly including Foyle, Magloire, Dixon

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:38 am
By Geoff Lepper
MediaNews
The NBA's trade deadline was 18 hours away, but swingman Mickael Pietrus -- the Warrior most likely to be dealt -- looked serene Wednesday.

The fourth-year player, whose status as a restricted free agent after the season makes him hard for the cash-strapped Warriors to retain, wasn't sweating things in the run-up to today's noon deadline.

``If something happens, something happens. I don't really mind,'' Pietrus said. ``I'm not (nervous), because I'm already a vet. I'm already in my fourth year, and I've been through a lot of rumors and everything. My focus is here. I don't think about any (rumors). I think about today tonight, and tomorrow tomorrow.''

The latest Pietrus rumor came courtesy of Trail Blazers beat writer Jason Quick, who told a Portland radio station Wednesday that the team had offered guard Juan Dixon for Pietrus but was rebuffed.

However, if the Trail Blazers were willing to swallow the $32 million remaining on center Adonal Foyle's deal in exchange for center Jamaal Magliore and his expiring contract, that deal would become much more enticing for the Warriors. Golden State officials did not offer a comment on the report.

Whatever happens, Pietrus has lined up a nice salary bump for himself after pulling in $2.54 million this season. He has career highs in line for scoring (13.0 points per game entering Wednesday), shooting (48.3 percent from the field) and rebounding (5.0 per contest).

``I think I've got a little game left that I haven't showed,'' Pietrus said. ``I think that every year I'm going to have more responsibility and more and more freedom in the game, and that's how you really play your game.''
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:36 am
I like Dixon, but he'd be useless here. He'd be buried so deep in our rotation of guards that he'd barely play more than in garbage time.

Of course, Portland won't do that trade for Foyle. Pietrus may bolt after the season... and they would have traded a big expirer for... Foyle.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:16 am
Mullin can't be this stupid! Pietrus is not a great player but a solid one and since Barnes and a couple more are free agents this offseason and will likely get some good offers from other teams, Mullin would be better to only trade Pietrus if a real good deal came up. This deal would be a step backwards

migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:22 am
Hey Mullin could brainwash Portland with the AntiJailblazer Foyle Get exp contract Magloire and add another trade heist to his list :mrgreen:
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:25 am
O.G. Broe wrote:Hey Mullin could brainwash Portland with the AntiJailblazer Foyle and add another trade heist to his list :mrgreen:

Well, yeah. Maybe I should have said that Portland would be crazy to go for that trade instead of saying they'd never go for it. We should never take common sense for granted. :wink:
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:20 am
migya wrote:Mullin can't be this stupid! Pietrus is not a great player but a solid one and since Barnes and a couple more are free agents this offseason and will likely get some good offers from other teams, Mullin would be better to only trade Pietrus if a real good deal came up. This deal would be a step backwards

Dude, I dunno what your facination with Pietrus is, but if we could use him to unload Foyle's deal, we'd be moronic not to take that.

Pietrus for Juan Dixon, straight up, is a joke. But Mickael Pietrus is an extremely average basketball player. His athletic build is the only thing that sets him apart from cookie-cutter swingmen. I'd be totally willing to trade him. We need less guards and more big men, anyway.

The Foyle situation is unlikely... but lets hope Mully packages something together and gets another big man. If not... there's always free agency. Nothing's urgent today.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:12 am
What Mullin should do is pull the trigger on the Pietrus - Dixon trade with one addendum - the right to switch first round picks with Portland this year. To me, moving up a potential 5-10 slots up in the draft would be worth much more than an expiring contract. Portland might just be dumb enough to do it too.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:27 am
Thunder wrote:What Mullin should do is pull the trigger on the Pietrus - Dixon trade with one addendum - the right to switch first round picks with Portland this year. To me, moving up a potential 5-10 slots up in the draft would be worth much more than an expiring contract. Portland might just be dumb enough to do it too.

Forget about it. Juan Dixon is already a Raptor. He's just been traded to Toronto for Fred Jones.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2775131
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:30 am
Eh.

At least Jones gets to go back to Oregon.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:20 pm
32 wrote:
migya wrote:Mullin can't be this stupid! Pietrus is not a great player but a solid one and since Barnes and a couple more are free agents this offseason and will likely get some good offers from other teams, Mullin would be better to only trade Pietrus if a real good deal came up. This deal would be a step backwards

Dude, I dunno what your facination with Pietrus is, but if we could use him to unload Foyle's deal, we'd be moronic not to take that.

Pietrus for Juan Dixon, straight up, is a joke. But Mickael Pietrus is an extremely average basketball player. His athletic build is the only thing that sets him apart from cookie-cutter swingmen. I'd be totally willing to trade him. We need less guards and more big men, anyway.

The Foyle situation is unlikely... but lets hope Mully packages something together and gets another big man. If not... there's always free agency. Nothing's urgent today.

Well Pietrus is doing better than he ever has with very decent averages and definately much better than dun, who you always stuck up for. What makes Pietrus expendable is the fact that there are three or four other swingmen who are more well rounded than he is on the team right now.

Pietrus has much upside and should be traded in a package for a quality player or two

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:21 pm
Well, it appears that Mullin trust this team can do it. Dixon was swapped for Jones in Toronto. It's going to be interesting. Pietrus is going to have to prove himself he's worth keeping after the season and so and so.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:06 pm
migya wrote:Well Pietrus is doing better than he ever has with very decent averages and definately much better than dun, who you always stuck up for. What makes Pietrus expendable is the fact that there are three or four other swingmen who are more well rounded than he is on the team right now.

Pietrus has much upside and should be traded in a package for a quality player or two

Mickael Pietrus is second string quality, at best. The guy's upside has practically dried out, after 3 years. The rule of thumb is that most 1st-round guards should be pretty developed by the time their rookie contracts are up. If this is as good as Mickael Pietrus is going to get, he should be let go.

He's a natural shooting guard. Right now, I'd rather have Richardson, Ellis, and Azuibuke playing ahead of him. Even on the small forward swap, I'd still rather have Stephen Jackson or Jason Richardson playing ahead of him.

Pietrus is expendable... but the problem is, he's not worth that much to begin with. Think about it. The best offer we got for him was Juan Dixon. And, even then, Portland was probably just as fearful of getting Pietrus as we were of getting Dixon.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:58 pm
Pietrus has done decently and that is good to be a bench player at least, which is what he should be on this team now with the players that are here and the way they have performed. Pietrus still has worth and, as I said he could be used in a package to get a very good player

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:13 am
migya wrote:Pietrus has done decently and that is good to be a bench player at least, which is what he should be on this team now with the players that are here and the way they have performed. Pietrus still has worth and, as I said he could be used in a package to get a very good player

You know, I'm with 32 here. Pietrus is a decent player to have in a roster... but we are loaded in his spot(s), which makes him expandable. He should have a long career in the NBA, but probably not with us.

We're probably keeping him to do a sign-and-trade this offseason. I'd be ok trading him for a future first rounder (probably out of the lottery, tho).
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:03 am
migya wrote:Pietrus has done decently and that is good to be a bench player at least, which is what he should be on this team now with the players that are here and the way they have performed. Pietrus still has worth and, as I said he could be used in a package to get a very good player

Pietrus has not been a backup this year; he's averaging 31 MPG and has racked up 36 starts.

People are facinated that he's getting career-high's in points and rebounds, but it's in 10 minutes more per night. He's also been a disappointment on defense: people advertised him as a "lock-down" defender... and he can't even average 1 steal or 1 block in starter's minutes.

The addition of Jackson, Barnes and Azuibuke this year have made Pietrus expendable. I doubt he'll ever be more than a flashy underachiever.
Next

Return to News Articles