Mullin say's J-Rich here to stay!! Fact's on Trade..

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:48 pm
Tim Kawakami
Mercury News
Chris Mullin never rules out anything and loves to fade into the shadows, out of sight, until the lightning strike.

``I don't broadcast,'' he said this week, and that's a typical massive understatement from Mr. Radio Silence.

So imagine my surprise when the Warriors chief recently answered my question about Jason Richardson's future in the most emphatic terms I've heard Mullin use.

My question: A week ago you gave a rejuvenating jolt to the franchise by trading Mike Dunleavy and Troy Murphy to Indiana; could Richardson, another of your old favorites, be next out the door?

``Jason?'' Mullin said, bolting up in his seat. ``No. I've seen Jason enough to say, `No.' ''

No, as in: Richardson's not going anywhere. Right, Chris? Anybody asks about him, you say . . .

``No,'' Mullin said.

If you want to know how comfortable Mullin feels about his roster, featuring the additions of ex-Pacers Al Harrington and Stephen Jackson, there it was.

Mullin has Don Nelson as his coach, Baron Davis, Harrington and Richardson as his centerpieces, Andris Biedrins and Monta Ellis blooming, and now sounds more comfortable than I've ever heard him during his three-season tenure.

Mullin doesn't deny that the Warriors could use another big man. He won't rule out making any move that could bring the playoffs into view.

But he said that Richardson is ``absolutely'' on another level than Dunleavy and Murphy. Even though Richardson (due back from his broken hand in a few weeks) hasn't been healthy enough to show much to Nelson yet, Mullin said Richardson has proved his worth.

``Nellie's waiting for him with open arms,'' Mullin said.

Maybe this was just post-trade languor. Maybe Mullin will change his mind if Richardson is the price he has to pay to land a key big man. But it doesn't sound like it.

``We're more athletic, longer, just tougher physically,'' Mullin said. ``I think we can match up one-on-one more, offensively and defensively. I think we've seen that. It's been apparent.

``It's got me excited. I think it's a nice team for Nellie to have moving forward. And then you talk about one of the top players not having an impact yet. Get him back, let's see what we have.''

By the way, I talked with Mullin before the Warriors beat New Jersey on Ellis' buzzer-beater Wednesday, which ended a three-game post-trade losing streak and crept the Warriors back to within range of the eighth playoff spot.

Everything that happened in the game, from Harrington's 29 points to the tight, active defense in the final minutes, illustrated Mullin's point.

Afterward, Harrington said that he doesn't see the need for more major retooling. You couldn't use one more player, Al?

``I really don't think so,'' Harrington said. ``Maybe a `big,' a shot-blocking `big.' But I don't know if he could help us because of the way that we run. For the style that we play, I think this is a great team.

``I like the team we've got right now. I'd rather keep the team just how it is.''

No arguments out of Mullin on that point. The Warriors were 19-20 when he pulled the trigger on the eight-player trade. Murphy was harrowingly bad. Dunleavy was up and down and getting booed either way. Ike Diogu was lost.

Murphy and Dunleavy had big, long-term contracts handed to them by Mullin. The Warriors were sinking.

``I felt like we needed a change,'' Mullin said. ``But a good change. Not any change.''

He had defended Murphy and Dunleavy for years (mostly from me, I should add). He gave them the big deals and was criticized for both. Was it hard to trade them after so much history?

``Not really, no,'' Mullin said. ``I think the world of them and I think they're going to be good players. And part of me thinks that it would've happened here. But I just felt good about the deal.''

But Dunleavy was your guy from Day One, Chris. Were you in a way letting the world know that he had failed as a Warrior?

``I still think the same things about Mike,'' Mullin said. ``Now the one thing that didn't happen was consistency. He played some really good stretches. That's not a secret. But I think as far as his talent and skill level, there's no reason he shouldn't be a really good player.''

Mullin suggested that he would have been willing to move Dunleavy and/or Murphy last summer. But Nelson, hired in August, wanted to see if Murphy could play center and Dunleavy power forward in Nelson's open offense.

``I had a little more feeling about the way our team was, and Nellie wanted to look at it,'' Mullin said. ``That was something we talked about together.''

Nelson looked at it, and let the whole world know when the experiment failed.

Did Nelson push you to make this trade? Mullin smiled at that one, and went Radio Silent again.

He looked comfortable with any possible interpretation. He looked comfortable about everything, as comfortable as he has been in three years.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:04 pm
I find it hillarious that Kawakami is all over Mullin's sack now that Dunleavy and Murphy are gone. I really do.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:11 am
#32 wrote:I find it hillarious that Kawakami is all over Mullin's sack now that Dunleavy and Murphy are gone. I really do.

Why?. The guy had a problem with some of his signings. Mullin solved that and now Kawakami likes him... it's logical. It's pretty close to my line of thought, too. Criticism and praise when they're due...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:17 pm
Kawakami was clamoring for Mullin to be removed from office... then Chris Mullin swings a genius trade and suddenly Timmy Boy's all over his dick?

He's riding the wagon. I've been telling everybody for YEARS that Chris Mullin's vision was a long-term deal... and a ton of people refused to listen (or give the guy ample time to build the team). I asked for 4 seasons under Mullin before judgement. People were willing to axe the guy after 2. Then, guess what? He builds an amazing team by his 3rd year (which is ahead of schedule, as far as I'm concerned). And suddenly, all the Mullin-haters like Kawakami are suddenly making excuses for themselves.

Prior to the trade, Kawakami had a TON to bitch about. He complained about pretty much EVERYTHING Mullin did (including the hiring of Nelson, mind you). Do you mean to tell me that this pessimistic bastard suddenly had a change of heart because of a Murphy/Dunleavy trade? So, now, suddenly the Nelson hiring doesn't seem so 'desperate'? The guy in charge doesn't seem so 'clueless'? :roll:

Please. Kawakami's just too stubbord to admit that HE was wrong about Mullin; Mullin' hasn't changed, Kawakami's opinion of him has.

All Star
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:06 pm
Like many on this board :!:
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:24 am
I think Kawakami is just trying to get people believing he actually does love Mully. He's just trying to hard now.

But you have to agree with broe. When you review through the old threads, there are some Mullin bashers that are still on this board every now and then. And now that Dun and Murph are departed, they absolutely love him. I'm not pointing fingers, I'm just saying.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:12 am
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:I think Kawakami is just trying to get people believing he actually does love Mully. He's just trying to hard now.

But you have to agree with broe. When you review through the old threads, there are some Mullin bashers that are still on this board every now and then. And now that Dun and Murph are departed, they absolutely love him. I'm not pointing fingers, I'm just saying.

I don't have a problem with that. It's called consistency. You have an opinion on something and stick to it. Mully made some mistakes early in his VP career, and fixed them lately. It's natural their opinion has changed. If they were still clamoring for Mullin's firing... well, you get my point.

What wouldn't be so natural is if they were saying they always loved Mullin... but that's a different argument.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:25 am
TMC wrote:What wouldn't be so natural is if they were saying they always loved Mullin... but that's a different argument.

You can't accuse me of ever incriminating Mullin. I always had faith in the guy. Hell, for a year, my avatar was Chris Mullin shooting a free throw! :mrgreen:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:27 am
#32 wrote:
TMC wrote:What wouldn't be so natural is if they were saying they always loved Mullin... but that's a different argument.

You can't accuse me of ever incriminating Mullin. I always had faith in the guy. Hell, for a year, my avatar was Chris Mullin shooting a free throw! :mrgreen:

Yeah, I know. I wasn't talking about you (actually, quite the opposite)... I was referring to all those guys (Kawakami included) that "changed sides" with the trade.

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:47 pm
Yea but it's all good, ultimately most wanted the Warriors to succeed but just had different ideas about getting it done, I trusted Mullin was the man for the job and that he was trying to stabilize the franchise by committing to Foyle/Murph/Dun & most importantly J Rich during a time the franchise was in disarray & not attractive to free agent's :!:

Dunleavy & Foyle definitely disappointed, but If Mullin didn't open up Cohans wallet would J Rich still be a Warrior :?: Would Baron be A Warrior :?:

I spoke directly with Mullin about how he hadn't blown up the TEAM and wasn't going to repeat history like Mitch 4 Billy 'O' & he said that trade directly affected him & assured me he was committed to turning the Warriors into a winner, then backed that up by firing Monty 2 weeks later hiring Nellie & finally getting his target player Al Harrington while doing what most said was the impossible avoid "Salary cap Hell" & get rid of MurphFishDun contract's to be in position to keep the emerging young player's Ellis/Bedrin's :D

It's a new chapter now & the Warriors have to take care of business on the court but I like there chances, the TEAM, the outlook of the future, the Coach, the Gm, the VP, the Special Asst, even Cohan is alright in my book right about now :D

Another move wouldn't surprise me, actually I would be surprised if there wasn't a deal done before the deadline with J Rich coming back after the All Star game with Mullies endorsement & the Warriors surplus of guards & forwards with the need for a athletic Big but I will leave that up to the experts Mullin & Co. :D Go Warriors
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:50 pm
Nice post, broe.

I must say that I don't think bad signings help in any way. Actually, I consider that it works the other way around, as free agents care more about the money they're getting that the team they're signing with (of course, they'll go to the most succesful one for the same money), so I don't think overpaying for those guys helped in any way.

At least Mully reacted well trading them away and getting good value in return. And firing Monty, whose hiring was a big mistake.

As I said before, gotta give praise when it's due. Mully took awful decisions at the beginning of his tenure, but has fixed them all lately, and I'm happy he's learning and improving the team.

btw, I don't know about any further trade, broe. Seems like it's gonna be a busy deadline, but if the team plays well the next few games, I'd be surprised if we make a move right now. I doubt there are many players out there available for trades and that can improve our team right away.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:42 pm
You can't make a mountain of a mole hill immediately; Chris Mullin has been slowly improving this franchise since he got here. And he's done it (mostly) off his own cunning. Key draft picks, early resigns to future stars (JRich), and savy trades (stealing Baron, Harrington, and SJax).

Chris Mullin's way of GMing is more like the Charlotte Bobcats... and less like the Portland Jailblazers. Mully would prefer to swallow a couple tough seasons, to insure future success, rather than sending all his loose change towards the first free agent on the market (like Portland with Darius).

Hail Mullin. The Warriors success depends on him... and is mostly attributed to him. :D
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:44 pm
Dunno - I think Kawakami engages in major hubris, saying most of the Mullin criticism about dungmurphy was from him. There was plenty around. However, BD, unloading Fish, hiring Nelson, moving DungMurphy for Harringjackevicius, this is an excellent string of moves. I wouldn't have a sudden coronary if they moved Pietrus for a big, but otherwise I am guessing they will wait till the summer...
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:37 am
TMC wrote:
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:I think Kawakami is just trying to get people believing he actually does love Mully. He's just trying to hard now.

I don't have a problem with that. It's called consistency. You have an opinion on something and stick to it. Mully made some mistakes early in his VP career, and fixed them lately. It's natural their opinion has changed. If they were still clamoring for Mullin's firing... well, you get my point.

What wouldn't be so natural is if they were saying they always loved Mullin... but that's a different argument.

Well, hey just saying. I mean you can call it what you want. This board is to express their opinions on certain topics and if they're all of a sudden jump back on Mullin's lap because certain players have departed from this franchise, so be it. Just gotta remember those fans though, because I'd wonder how they'd feel if Monta or Jason left even if it was for Garnett or Bosh.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:17 am
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:Well, hey just saying. I mean you can call it what you want. This board is to express their opinions on certain topics and if they're all of a sudden jump back on Mullin's lap because certain players have departed from this franchise, so be it. Just gotta remember those fans though, because I'd wonder how they'd feel if Monta or Jason left even if it was for Garnett or Bosh.

You know, a bit off topic, but I'm pretty pissed with all the trade proposals involving J-Rich. He was the face of the franchise and the only player that saved us from being in the bottom of the league for years... and now that he's not being important (for an injury, not even due to poor play) there are lots of people saying the guy doesn't fit and we should trade him asap...

It's crazy. I can't understand that for someone that disappoints time after time (we all know a few examples), but J-Rich?. What else does he need to do to gain some respect?
Next

Return to News Articles