PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:26 pm
is actually quite refreshing.

Check out Tim K's article:
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercuryn ... 424041.htm

It's easy to see who hampers Warriors
By Tim Kawakami
Mercury News Sports Columnist

AP Photo/Paul Connors
Warriors players, from left, Andris Biedrins and Matt Barnes have shown promise under Don Nelson, but there are still many problems with the team.
Kawakami blog: Biedrins good, Baron neutral, Murphy bad: Warriors’ eye-opening +/- breakdown
Warriors remain on a steady diet
Next for Warriors: Orlando
Don Nelson had his guard up early and did his able best to avoid the solo columnist-zone trap.

``How would I know that?'' the Warrior coach said with a wily grin Tuesday when I asked if his team would rise above .500 at season's end. ``That's a set-up question. No, I have no idea.''

No idea, Don? This team is 18-18, almost halfway through the season, and giving off radiant warning signs.

It's too dependent on Baron Davis (who has been spectacular), lousy as always on defense, has zero post presence on offense, and is getting little production from the overpaid pet players of the Chris Mullin era.

It's better coached than last year, younger, but with the same glaring weaknesses that spelled 34-48.

Don, you've won more than 1,200 NBA games. Gone to the playoffs 16 times. Can you just say what the Warriors, currently ninth in the West and riding a 12-season no-playoff run, have to do to move up in the standings?

``Play better basketball,'' Nelson said, almost giggling at his sly blandness. ``I don't want to give you fuel for whatever it is you're thinking about writing.''

Somehow Nelson knew what I was getting at. Mike Dunleavy, Troy Murphy and Ike Diogu were supposed to flourish in Nelson's wide-open system, and instead, they've been exposed even more.

Exposed and benched for long periods -- frankly, Matt Barnes and Mickael Pietrus (and even Kelenna Azibuike) deserve to play ahead of them.

That's good and bad news for the Warriors. Good, because Barnes and Pietrus have been Nellie revelations.

Bad, because Barnes and Pietrus aren't a playoff-level forward tandem. Worse, because the long-term deals Mullin gave Dunleavy and Murphy are putting extreme pressures on the Warriors' future salary options.

Even worse: Diogu was the ninth pick two years ago; add Patrick O'Bryant, who was taken ninth in June (pre-Nelson) and shipped to the NBDL recently because he doesn't fit Nelson's style. Right now, they're the worst back-to-back lottery tandem in the past decade for a team that needed immediate help.

Much worse: The trade value for all four players is sinking, sinking.

That wasn't what was supposed to happen, but don't blame Nelson. Mullin and Rod Higgins fired Mike Montgomery deep into the summer and hired Nelson to make their unbalanced roster work.

Nelson was going to bring Small Ball, featuring Murphy at center, Dunleavy at power forward, Diogu as a super-sub, and greatness would ensue.

Didn't happen. Murphy, Dunleavy and Diogu aren't terrible players, but none plays a whiff of defense, none can create a good shot consistently, and Nelson figured that out after two games.

Have Mullin and Higgins figured that out yet? Neither was available Tuesday; they haven't responded to a request from me for weeks.

For all the gains Nelson has made by seizing on the unique talents of Monta Ellis and Andris Biedrins (two great Mullin picks) and by harnessing Davis, the Warriors can't punch into the playoffs bogged down by this forward corps.

Are you disappointed, Don? ``No, I didn't expect that we were going to be a good team,'' Nelson said. ``Not yet, anyway. I'm just trying to keep from being poor. Ordinary ain't bad.''

Nelson can't help but be honest. More than a thousand NBA victories give him the right and the credibility.

On Murphy, who doesn't play much in the second half anymore: ``He just hasn't played very well,'' Nelson said. ``He's working hard. It's just defensively, he struggles a little bit.''

I'll add: The Warriors are 9-4 this season when Murphy doesn't play, 9-14 when he does. He also carries the Warriors' worst plus-minus number in not a lot of minutes. Whew, that $58 million deal sure looks wonderful, no?

On Dunleavy's defense: ``He is what he is,'' Nelson said. ``Have you watched our games? What do you think?'' I think he's a bad defensive player, Don.

``I wouldn't say that Mike Dunleavy is a good defender,'' Nelson said.

Yep, and that $44 million deal is beautiful. I like Dunleavy's smarts and versatility, but if he can't bloom in Nelson's open system, how valuable is he?

On Diogu's ability to play power forward or center: ``He's an undersized power forward, actually,'' Nelson said. ``He struggles defending either spot, at this point.''

The Warriors have talked for years about gathering ``pieces'' to use in a big trade -- and I have agreed. They've tried to get Kevin Garnett, and might still have a shot at Jermaine O'Neal.

But I always knew, and NBA executives knew, how flawed the Warriors' pieces were.

Mullin and Higgins desperately needed Nelson to figure out what they had in Dunleavy, Murphy and Diogu. Sadly for the Warriors, he has done exactly that, except now it won't do them much good.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Read Tim Kawakami's Talking Points blog at www.mercextra.com/blogs/ kawakami. Contact him at tkawakami@mercurynews.com or (408) 920-5442 .
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:29 pm
news article section?
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:11 pm
uptempo wrote:Even worse: Diogu was the ninth pick two years ago; add Patrick O'Bryant, who was taken ninth in June (pre-Nelson) and shipped to the NBDL recently because he doesn't fit Nelson's style. Right now, they're the worst back-to-back lottery tandem in the past decade for a team that needed immediate help.

Bullshiit! This guy is an imbicile talking this way about Diogu, a player that has done great in the very limited and unfair time he has been given!

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:40 am
migya wrote:
uptempo wrote:Even worse: Diogu was the ninth pick two years ago; add Patrick O'Bryant, who was taken ninth in June (pre-Nelson) and shipped to the NBDL recently because he doesn't fit Nelson's style. Right now, they're the worst back-to-back lottery tandem in the past decade for a team that needed immediate help.

Bullshiit! This guy is an imbicile talking this way about Diogu, a player that has done great in the very limited and unfair time he has been given!

Well, he has a point about Ike being a bad defensive player. He's just atrocious. But that doesn't mean he's worthless. His numbers are proof enough that he delivers on offense. What he needs is minutes... until then, nobody can say what kind of player he can become.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:40 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:

Well, he has a point about Ike being a bad defensive player. He's just atrocious. But that doesn't mean he's worthless. His numbers are proof enough that he delivers on offense. What he needs is minutes... until then, nobody can say what kind of player he can become.

Diogu is not smooth defensively and doesn't seem to know where to be but he has his great defensive moments

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:36 am
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:

Diogu is not smooth defensively and doesn't seem to know where to be but he has his great defensive moments

Agreed! It is too bad that Nelson does not have the patience to work with Ike as he works to improve his defense. It reminds me a lot of how Monty had limited patience with Biedrens last season.

The crux of the article reiterates how this Warrior team, no matter if it is coached by Monty or Nelson, is built upon untradeable players who are not very good (Dunleavy, Foyle, Murphy), a damning indictment of Mullin's (lack of) front office skills.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:58 pm
uptempo wrote:Agreed! It is too bad that Nelson does not have the patience to work with Ike as he works to improve his defense. It reminds me a lot of how Monty had limited patience with Biedrens last season.

:-s

So you're saying that Nelson is willing to be patient with Biedrins... but not with Diogu?
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:00 pm
Fact is Biedrins had been a foul prone machine that never did much and now was given the chance to develop and did. Diogu needs that same chance as he has shown great production in the very limited chances he has had

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:49 pm
There's a big difference: Biedrins always knew the playbook. Ike doesn't. If you don't know where to be, you're hindering the team. There's no way around it.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:38 pm
migya wrote:

yeah, I emailed Geoff Lepper after the same imbecility. The facts? Ike has the highest point production per touch on the team, 2nd highest points and rebounds per 48 minutes and 2nd on the team in FG%. Nelson rewarded Ike's 31 points in 35 minutes rewarded with 2 straight DNPs. (BTW, no one ever answers these stats, which I guess is a tacit admission of some sort). As for defense, he is 3rd best on the team in points allowed per 100 possessions. These guys should actually do some research before they print this garbage. On Murphy and Dunleavy he's right but stating the obvious. Ike can't create his own shot? What idiocy! The man scores and/or goes to the line 70% of the time he shoots - no one else on the Ws comes close. It is such intellectual laziness to blame a kid who has never gotten more than 31 minutes as a W (a game where he scored 27 points against the Pistons btw...), so to draw any conclusions that he is a bust when he produces so well in the limited and sporadic minutes he has is sheer obtuseness.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:46 am
coltraning wrote:
migya wrote:

yeah, I emailed Geoff Lepper after the same imbecility. The facts? Ike has the highest point production per touch on the team, 2nd highest points and rebounds per 48 minutes and 2nd on the team in FG%. Nelson rewarded Ike's 31 points in 35 minutes rewarded with 2 straight DNPs. (BTW, no one ever answers these stats, which I guess is a tacit admission of some sort). As for defense, he is 3rd best on the team in points allowed per 100 possessions. These guys should actually do some research before they print this garbage. On Murphy and Dunleavy he's right but stating the obvious. Ike can't create his own shot? What idiocy! The man scores and/or goes to the line 70% of the time he shoots - no one else on the Ws comes close. It is such intellectual laziness to blame a kid who has never gotten more than 31 minutes as a W (a game where he scored 27 points against the Pistons btw...), so to draw any conclusions that he is a bust when he produces so well in the limited and sporadic minutes he has is sheer obtuseness.

:D Well said.

Don't expect LEPPER to know say much! He is missing his tongue after all :mrgreen:

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:43 am
migya wrote:
coltraning wrote:
migya wrote:

:D Well said.

Don't expect LEPPER to know say much! He is missing his tongue after all :mrgreen:

lol :wink: btw, did you know that your neighbor Hawaii was originally a leper colony? I'm guessing you did...

ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:08 am
coltraning wrote:lol :wink: btw, did you know that your neighbor Hawaii was originally a leper colony? I'm guessing you did...

:shock:

A neighbor that it's 7,000 miles away... :wink:
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:52 am
TMC wrote:
coltraning wrote:lol :wink: btw, did you know that your neighbor Hawaii was originally a leper colony? I'm guessing you did...

yeah, I know...pretty Americacentric of me. They call Australia a neighbor in Hawaii, but I guess when you are in the middle of nowhere you take the neighbors you can...

ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:22 pm
coltraning wrote:
TMC wrote:

yeah, I know...pretty Americacentric of me. They call Australia a neighbor in Hawaii, but I guess when you are in the middle of nowhere you take the neighbors you can...

There more your neighbours in California than anything else. One the places I would like to visit the most Hawaii

Next

Return to News Articles