Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:27 pm
Injury-riddled Bucks acquire Boykins from Nuggets

By CHRIS JENKINS, AP Sports Writer
January 11, 2007

The Milwaukee Bucks are missing four starters because of injuries, but general manager Larry Harris wants to send the message that they aren't giving up on the season.

Harris acquired point guard Earl Boykins in a three-player trade with Denver on Thursday, sending backup guard Steve Blake to the Nuggets for Boykins -- the second-shortest player in NBA history at 5-foot-5 -- and second-year guard/foward Julius Hodge.

After making the move, Harris challenged Bucks players to hold things together until March, when three of the four injured players, including leading scorer Michael Redd, should be back and the schedule turns favorable.

"We have to be in position to take advantage of that and not feel sorry for ourselves and really take it as a challenge," Harris said. "And you know what? Us against the world. Because a lot of teams are going to think that we're just going to die, and we're just going to quit. And I'm going to tell you, that's not going to happen."

Nuggets coach George Karl apparently wasn't happy about losing Boykins, who has stepped up his play as Denver's Carmelo Anthony and J.R. Smith were serving suspensions for their roles in a brawl against the New York Knicks.

Asked if he was in favor of the trade, Karl paused.

"I'm not going to comment," he said.

Later on, he added: "I'm not saying I feel rejected or was denied a voice. I'm not sure my voice was on the side of acceptance."

Not a good trade and the Nuggets might regret this!

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:04 pm
The Nuggets lose Boykins AND Julius Hodge?!?!

For a stiff like Steve Blake???

Wow. Bad move, Nugz. Bad move.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:08 pm
Yeah, if they had to trade him they could have at least gotten something in return. Oh well. At least it's hurting a Western Conference team and helping an Eastern Conference team.

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:48 pm
lets face it, iverson takes so many shots, they had to get rid of 2 guards for 1.
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:26 pm
John Patrick wrote:Yeah, if they had to trade him they could have at least gotten something in return. Oh well. At least it's hurting a Western Conference team and helping an Eastern Conference team.

Well said and to our advantage

ChronicallyInclined wrote:lets face it, iverson takes so many shots, they had to get rid of 2 guards for 1.

That's true as well and a good point but I reckon that having an energizer like Boykins off the bench made Denver a real potential championship team, whereas now they have to play Iverson and Carmelo many minutes because not much scoring is coming off the bench to replace them

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:10 am
I dunno if Boykins was the difference between championship or bust in Denver; but losing him certainly hurts their depth. Steve Blake for Earl Boykins is highway robbery. The Bucks must have traded some naked pictures of George Karl's wife along with Blake...
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:33 am
#32 wrote:I dunno if Boykins was the difference between championship or bust in Denver; but losing him certainly hurts their depth. Steve Blake for Earl Boykins is highway robbery. The Bucks must have traded some naked pictures of George Karl's wife along with Blake...

Wonder if she's a stunner :mrgreen:

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:58 am
Come on, it's not so surprising. It's a great trade for Milwaukee (although they should have started by firing Stotts if they want to go somewhere), but it ain't as bad for the Nuggets. I mean, Blake is a decent backup (as long as he doesn't play more than 10 minutes or so) and (the key of the trade for the Nuggets) they'll have $3 millions less in their payroll for next season. As they'll be over the cap, those $3 million are in fact $6 million...

After trading for AI, they needed to do that trade (well, trading away Nene or K-Mart would have been better, but who's going to trade for those two?), even if it hurts the team in the short term.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:40 am
The Nugs better hope things continue to work with JR Smith or they can essentially become a 3 man team with Iverson, Carmelo and Camby as Nene ain't doing much and KMart looks like something bought from Kmart

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:47 am
it's not as if the nuggets are having trouble scoring. And that's the only thing boykins is good for... scoring
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:52 am
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:it's not as if the nuggets are having trouble scoring. And that's the only thing boykins is good for... scoring

Boykins passes well too. He sets up teammates a fair bit and his ability to score and create just causes havoc for the opposition. Don't see why the Nuggets would let go of one of their top 5 players

Role Player
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:41 pm
Well, he's finished his first game with te Bucks and came away with 11 points and 11 assists. Not to bad for his first time out with a new team. The real story of that game though (for me atleast) was Andrew Bogut. 20 points and 24 boards!!! That boy is getting NASTY on the boards...He's averaging 12 boards a game over the last 10 games and averaging 13.6 boards over the last 5 games. With all the injuries in Milwaukee he's going to be putting up some big numbers. The other 3 guys I see taking advantage of this have to be Patterson, Boykins and Bell.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:04 pm
breezer_79 wrote:Well, he's finished his first game with te Bucks and came away with 11 points and 11 assists. Not to bad for his first time out with a new team. The real story of that game though (for me atleast) was Andrew Bogut. 20 points and 24 boards!!! That boy is getting NASTY on the boards...He's averaging 12 boards a game over the last 10 games and averaging 13.6 boards over the last 5 games. With all the injuries in Milwaukee he's going to be putting up some big numbers. The other 3 guys I see taking advantage of this have to be Patterson, Boykins and Bell.

I see Bogut as being capable of being allstar caliber but he just hasn't done much so far. He should be scoring more right now because the Bucks have injuries to major players. He is a better shotblocker than what he is showing as well

Role Player
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:36 pm
I dunno man....he's young, and we all know that big men can take a while to develop sometimes. As far as his offensive stats go, he just hasn't been given enough oportunities until now as the bucks have been a run and gun, high octance, guard oriented offence. With these injuries I'm sure he will score more, he's just got to slowly slip into that role is all. With Boykins now in the team I think it may help.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:51 pm
breezer_79 wrote:I dunno man....he's young, and we all know that big men can take a while to develop sometimes. As far as his offensive stats go, he just hasn't been given enough oportunities until now as the bucks have been a run and gun, high octance, guard oriented offence. With these injuries I'm sure he will score more, he's just got to slowly slip into that role is all. With Boykins now in the team I think it may help.

I actually think Bogut has to be the focal point of the offense more often. Villaneuva will make it harder for that to happen as well

Next

Return to News Articles