All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:11 pm
Doesn't sound like much blamin' or complainin' going on here:

From HOOPSWORLD.com
One-on-One with Ike Diogu
By Preetom Bhattacharya
Jan 7, 2007, 09:02

Ike Diogu has had an up and down season thus far, battling injury and adjusting himself to Don Nelson's uptempo style that doesn't perfectly fit with Diogu's game. Diogu has traditionally been excellent for the Warriors to use in the half-court set, giving him the ball down low and allowing him to work on the low block. Now, he is being asked to change his game tremendously. Basketball News Services caught up with Ikechukwu Somtochukwu Diogu, the Warriors second year forward, after Saturday night's game against the Sonics.

Ike, you got some minutes today and had a chance to establish yourself as a low post presence - how'd it feel to get back out there?

"It felt real good, just getting out there, playing again. I was confident that when I got the ball down low, I was either going to score or get fouled and either one of those two things happened."

The Sonics didn't have much down low - were you salivating with a chance to dominate this team in the paint?

"I was really just trying to be aggressive. Our team kind of needed a little lift and that's what Coach Nelson said. He said to just go in there and just play, so I did."

What was Coach Nelson's half-time speech like?

"He was just a little bit disappointed that we didn't have a lot of energy and that guys were settling for jumpshots instead of attacking and we weren't really running like we're capable of. He just let us know about it and told us that our play was unacceptable so we just corrected those things and were able to win the ball game."

How are you coming along in Nellie's system? He asks the big men to run around a lot - I saw you yesterday at practice running sprints after everyone else was done. Are you starting to get the high-octane stuff into your system now?

"Definitely. You know, I'm just trying to make sure I stay in shape, so I'm running a bit extra. I haven't been really playing that much, but just like a night like tonight, you never know when he's going to call on you so you gotta be ready, and he called on me tonight and I was ready to go in there and produce."

What's the team atmosphere like this year under Coach Nelson? I'm sure things were difference under Monty - what's it like this year?

"There's a really nice feeling around here. Everybody's goal is the playoffs and everybody is trying to do whatever they can to make sure we don't slip below .500. Today was a must-win and we got it done."

You were talking about the playoffs - what's it going to take for this team to make it in?

"We just gotta keep playing hard and be a tough-nosed team and not take any nights off and we should be there at the end of the season."

Ike finished the game with six points, a block, and a rebound - not necessarily dominating numbers. However, when you factor in that all of this production came in the last 4:39 seconds of the third quarter, during which the Warriors had their biggest lead of the game, Ike may be making a case for more playing time. He's been tirelessly running during practice, working on his conditioning and adjusting his game to fit Nellie's system, so in due time Ike may become a significant bench contributor as the Warriors continue their playoff push.

© Copyright 2006 by HOOPSWORLD.com, a Basketball News Services Exclusive
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:44 am
This complaining shiit has been fabricated and blown up like nothing else with this team! It is unfair to the man and he has done his job on the court

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:05 am
Let's hope the game against the Suns is the turning point of the season for Ike, and not just the prelude for new DNPs. At this point, it can't be for what he does on the court or says out of it.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:20 pm
Yup, in last 3 games, Ike has scored 46 points in last 56 minutes (last 3 games he was allowed to play)...hope he sees 25 minutes next game...

ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:58 pm
coltraning wrote:Yup, in last 3 games, Ike has scored 46 points in last 56 minutes (last 3 games he was allowed to play)...hope he sees 25 minutes next game...

I wouldn't place any bets on that!

Nice pic changes in your sig :)

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:11 am
migya wrote:
coltraning wrote:Yup, in last 3 games, Ike has scored 46 points in last 56 minutes (last 3 games he was allowed to play)...hope he sees 25 minutes next game...

:mrgreen: Thought she was your style, bro...cherche la femme

ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:25 am
coltraning wrote:
migya wrote:

:mrgreen: Thought she was your style, bro...cherche la femme

Fuk la femme la coo :mrgreen:

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:22 am

WTF?. Sam gets no love on this board. Instead of having a fine b*tch like Colt, you are hating on Sam. More love and less fight, migya.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:33 am
TMC wrote:Image

WTF?. Sam gets no love on this board. Instead of having a fine b*tch like Colt, you are hating on Sam. More love and less fight, migya.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Just thought it was funny

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:46 pm
Ike Diogu wrote:"I was really just trying to be aggressive. Our team kind of needed a little lift and that's what Coach Nelson said. He said to just go in there and just play, so I did."

This quote is very interesting. It proves that Nelson understands Ike has massive amounts of game, but he's holding him back.

I take it as positive, because Nelson's going to Ike when the Warriors need a lift (proving that he understands Ike's value), but he's continually holding Ike back so that he works harder on his game.

Ike said it himself; he's making major strides in his game to fit Nelly's system. I think Nelson's doing to Diogu what he always wanted to do with Ewing, Webber, ect... he's building the ultimate power forward. Nelson understands that Diogu's inside game makes him a huge force; but if he pushed Ike to the point where Diogu could run the break and stretch the defense as well, he'd be unstoppable.

Imagine the opposite of Dirk Nowitski; a big guy whose post game was unstoppable, but could run the break and hit an occasional 3-pointer as well. Imagine Amare with a 3. It's like that.

Nelson tried it in the 90's, asking Webber (who could post and run, to develop an outside game). Webber refused. Nelly then tried it again in New York, asking Ewing to share the block (giving him incentive to get down the floor faster, to beat out Anthony Mason for positioning). Ewing followed suit with Webber.

The Dirk Nowitski project was Nelson's first success at PF. However, Dirk's game (which has always been based on his outside shooting) demanded that he got into running shape to run the break and beef up a bit to survive in the post. Nelson's first year with Dirk, he held him back a lot. Prior to Nelson's tutoring, Dirk was Terry Mills. The result was a superstar.

Fast-forward to present day. Ike Diogu (like a rookie Dirk) doesn't have the star power of a CWebb or Ewing, so he can't refuse. Nelson's forcing his superstar serum down Diogu's throat. In essence, Ike will be a more complete player whether he (or a few posters) likes it or not.

Keep working at it, Nelly. I'm chomping at the bit to see how Ike looks later in the year (or, God help the opposition, next year, when he's fully developed).
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:37 am
#32 wrote:I take it as positive, because Nelson's going to Ike when the Warriors need a lift (proving that he understands Ike's value), but he's continually holding Ike back so that he works harder on his game.

The best way to make a player better is to play him NOW, especially if he has this value, and teach him from his performances each game.

#32 wrote:Ike said it himself; he's making major strides in his game to fit Nelly's system. I think Nelson's doing to Diogu what he always wanted to do with Ewing, Webber, ect... he's building the ultimate power forward. Nelson understands that Diogu's inside game makes him a huge force; but if he pushed Ike to the point where Diogu could run the break and stretch the defense as well, he'd be unstoppable.

Not sure whether Diogu will ever be the run and gun type and since he already has a great strength being his inside game, that should be used right now, especially how the team is very weak in that area and the fact that Diogu has been playing great in the time he has gotten

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:49 am
migya wrote:
#32 wrote:I take it as positive, because Nelson's going to Ike when the Warriors need a lift (proving that he understands Ike's value), but he's continually holding Ike back so that he works harder on his game.

The best way to make a player better is to play him NOW, especially if he has this value, and teach him from his performances each game.

Not necessarily. You need to treat every player different.

A guy like Andris Biedrins? He needed playing time to get better. But a guy like Adonal Foyle? He needed to ride some pine, which inspired him to work his ass off to get back into the rotation. Now, Foyle is in shape and delivers pretty well when called upon.

I think Nelson thinks the same way about Diogu. Ike Diogu felt so comfortable inside his post game, he really didn't have any more room to grow... so Nelson's pushing him to expand his game. Diogu said, in the interview, he's making major changes to his game to fit Nelson's system.

If Nelly can motivate Ike Diogu so that he becomes even more dangerous, than why not?
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:13 am
based on Ike's play of late, I would like to see him get 20-25 minutes a game, which will mean 10-15 points, 4-6 boards and a block or 2, see how that goes - your theory is interesting, 32...we shall see

ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:29 am
#32 wrote:I think Nelson thinks the same way about Diogu. Ike Diogu felt so comfortable inside his post game, he really didn't have any more room to grow... so Nelson's pushing him to expand his game. Diogu said, in the interview, he's making major changes to his game to fit Nelson's system.

If Nelly can motivate Ike Diogu so that he becomes even more dangerous, than why not?

I think it's much more simple than that. Nellie doesn't like Ike's game. It's not the most suitable PF for his system, so he's not cutting him any slack.

Guess we'll see who's right during the season. If you're right, Ike's minutes should grow steadily. If I'm right, they'll stay roughly the same (which means he's going to play 20 minutes some games and 2 others).
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:24 am
#32 wrote:
migya wrote:

Not necessarily. You need to treat every player different.

A guy like Andris Biedrins? He needed playing time to get better. But a guy like Adonal Foyle? He needed to ride some pine, which inspired him to work his ass off to get back into the rotation. Now, Foyle is in shape and delivers pretty well when called upon.

Diogu is not and should not be compared to the talentless Adonal Foyle!

Diogu, like Biedrins, Monta and any other young promising player, needs the court time! He deserves it due to his performances as well!

Next

Return to News Articles