Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:57 pm
WARRIORS NOTEBOOK
Diogu looking for ways to get more playing time
- Janny Hu, Chronicle Staff Writer
Friday, January 5, 2007

With a healthy Ike Diogu getting the same minutes as an injured Ike Diogu, the Warriors' forward says he isn't bothered by the lack of playing time.

He simply isn't sure how to get himself back in coach Don Nelson's rotation.

"He's going to play the people who give him the best chances to win. That's how it is," said Diogu, who hasn't gotten off the bench the last two games. "I just got to keep working hard so I can eventually be one of those guys.

"I guess he must be looking for something, so I've got to just keep going all out in practice and see where it goes from there."

Diogu's strength is his low-post scoring, but Nelson has cited liability on defense and trouble remembering plays as hindrances to Diogu's progress.

His six-week absence from a sprained ankle didn't help. Nelson was forced to use Mickael Pietrus and Matt Barnes at power forward when both Diogu and Troy Murphy missed extensive time last month, and the coach seemingly has found a comfort zone with his new lineup.

Golden State has been able to play more quickly and aggressively on defense with only one big man in the game. That has left Murphy mostly backing up Andris Biedrins at center and playing time shrinking all around for the Warriors' bigger players.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:02 pm
coltraning wrote:He simply isn't sure how to get himself back in coach Don Nelson's rotation.

"He's going to play the people who give him the best chances to win. That's how it is," said Diogu, who hasn't gotten off the bench the last two games. "I just got to keep working hard so I can eventually be one of those guys.

"I guess he must be looking for something, so I've got to just keep going all out in practice and see where it goes from there."

Seems like there's not much communication between them...
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:02 pm
the most laughable part is the assertion that playing smaller has allowed the defense to be quicker and more aggressive. really? That's why they allowed 144 points 2 nights ago and have the worst defense in the league, on a PPG basis? As I listened the other night to Barnett pleading for one stop in the last 5 minutes, didn't sound much like a quicker more aggressive defense to me. reading between the lines, Ike is pretty confused as to the DNPs, but his responses are totally pro and consistent with what I have seen of him...I think he knows how good he is and that he will thrive somewhere, even if his low post game is anathema to Nelson's style...

ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:59 pm
Right now, Ike Diogu is Chris Mullin's prized possession. Mullin refused to deal Diogu for Artest a year back (and is frantically trying to sell Murphy to open up time for Diogu, much like he did with Fisher for Ellis).

If Nelson won't eventually play Diogu, I predict a conflict of interest with Chris Mullin. Who knows; maybe that's how Nelson's 2nd run with Golden State will come to an end.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:13 pm
#32 wrote:Right now, Ike Diogu is Chris Mullin's prized possession. Mullin refused to deal Diogu for Artest a year back (and is frantically trying to sell Murphy to open up time for Diogu, much like he did with Fisher for Ellis).

If Nelson won't eventually play Diogu, I predict a conflict of interest with Chris Mullin. Who knows; maybe that's how Nelson's 2nd run with Golden State will come to an end.

could be. 2 straight DNPs seems so random that I would love to know the backstory - hell, even Foyle got some playing time...

ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:39 pm
Foyle's been in the rotation a lot lately... and how many games in a row did he get a DNP?
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:36 pm
I don't think this will last... when he gets the playbook down he'll get a lot more playing time. It's just a question of when.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:51 pm
coltraning wrote:the most laughable part is the assertion that playing smaller has allowed the defense to be quicker and more aggressive. really? That's why they allowed 144 points 2 nights ago and have the worst defense in the league, on a PPG basis? As I listened the other night to Barnett pleading for one stop in the last 5 minutes, didn't sound much like a quicker more aggressive defense to me. reading between the lines, Ike is pretty confused as to the DNPs, but his responses are totally pro and consistent with what I have seen of him...I think he knows how good he is and that he will thrive somewhere, even if his low post game is anathema to Nelson's style...

Nelson just wants to play the type of game he knows and likes, which is the small ball. He probably realises that the team has great smallertype players who are great athletes and can run and shoot. The only problen is that the defense is horrid and the team has not exactly been winning a whole lot but is at 50%.

I wouldn't be surprised if Diogu is traded very soon, along with either Murphy or dun

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:41 am
John Patrick wrote:I don't think this will last... when he gets the playbook down he'll get a lot more playing time. It's just a question of when.

At least one person around here has a clear head. :roll:
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:14 pm
#32 wrote:
John Patrick wrote:I don't think this will last... when he gets the playbook down he'll get a lot more playing time. It's just a question of when.

i.e. agrees with you. Isn't that synonymous in your mind? :wink: I think TMC, Pest, Migya and I have reasonably clear heads, bro, even if we disagree with you. Ike got 31 points in 35 minutes and has followed that with 2 straight DNPs. This is not about a playbook - it is about punishment for real or imagined transgressions or a trade

oh - and Ike finally gets in and gets 6 points in first 3 minutes - if only he could learn the playbook 8)

ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:40 pm
coltraning wrote:
#32 wrote:At least one person around here has a clear head. :roll:

i.e. agrees with you. Isn't that synonymous in your mind? :wink:

You said it

coltraning wrote:oh - and Ike finally gets in and gets 6 points in first 3 minutes - if only he could learn the playbook 8)

Just another consistent performance from Diogu

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:11 pm
coltraning wrote:
#32 wrote:

It has nothing to do with that. I can't believe so many are acting like Ike Diogu will never have a spot in Golden State's rotation. It's simply a matter of time... but people here are running around like chickens with their heads cut off because Ike got (GASP) 2 DNP's in a row. Easy up. The man will have a role.

coltraning wrote:oh - and Ike finally gets in and gets 6 points in first 3 minutes - if only he could learn the playbook 8)

Did you also happen to notice that the Warriors lost 6 points off their lead when Diogu was in the game...?

Probably not.
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:18 pm
#32 wrote:
coltraning wrote:
#32 wrote:

It has nothing to do with that. I can't believe so many are acting like Ike Diogu will never have a spot in Golden State's rotation. It's simply a matter of time... but people here are running around like chickens with their heads cut off because Ike got (GASP) 2 DNP's in a row. Easy up. The man will have a role.

Did you also happen to notice that the Warriors lost 6 points off their lead when Diogu was in the game...?

sigh....god, please check the box score before you type this stuff sometimes? score was 68-65 warriors when he entered and 78-75 when he left, and Ike blocked a shot at the buzzer to maintain the lead - did you happen to notice?

Probably not. the young pariah played 4:37 seconds and scored 6 points and a block in that time. He now has 37 points in the last 40 minutes so can we please dispense with the myth that it is his bad play that is keeping him off the floor? Maybe he is a dick off the court, maybe he raped Nelson's dog, maybe he is about to be traded, but it ain't his recent play...that just doesn't pass the sniff test.

ImageImage
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:28 pm
coltraning wrote:
#32 wrote:
coltraning wrote:
#32 wrote:

sigh....god, please check the box score before you type this stuff sometimes? score was 68-65 warriors when he entered and 78-75 when he left, and Ike blocked a shot at the buzzer to maintain the lead - did you happen to notice?

I was about to say the same thing
ImageImage

Return to News Articles