Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:23 am
Warriors' Barnes savors revenge on woeful 76ers
By Geoff Lepper
CONTRA COSTA TIMES

OAKLAND - Don Nelson strode into the tiled bathroom area of the Warriors' locker room Tuesday night, looking to deliver a surprise message to forward Matt Barnes.

"Boston waived your (expletive), too," Nelson yelled at Barnes, who had just stepped out of the shower. "Or they were thinking about it."

In actual fact, Barnes has no beef with Danny Ainge, the Celtics' executive director of basketball operations. But after watching Barnes take out his frustrations Tuesday on the Philadelphia 76ers, Nelson's gambit was worth a shot with Boston coming to town Friday.

Barnes, who spent unhappy portions of the last two seasons in Philadelphia, dropped a game-high 25 points, eight rebounds, three assists and a block on the 76ers in a 116-97 blowout for an injury-depleted Golden State squad. By going 7-for-8 from behind the 3-point arc, Barnes tied the Warriors' franchise record for treys in a single game, something that's now happened eight times in Golden State history.

"Not even being given the chance to play is what hurt so much (in Philadelphia)," Barnes said. "I just feel kind of like I have a chip on my shoulder. ... (Coach Jim) O'Brien used to just tell me that I needed to learn the offense. I was like, 'Man, the offense is not that tough: Get the ball to (Allen) Iverson.' "

The ball-dominating Iverson is no longer with the 76ers, of course, having been sent to the Denver Nuggets last week. But Tuesday, it was the Warriors offense that was a model of scoring egalitarianism. In addition to Barnes, five other players were in double figures and Golden State shot 54.8 percent from the floor.

The Warriors have had 10 different players lead them in scoring this season, the most of any NBA team, and they needed that kind of depth Tuesday, as guards Monta Ellis (right shoulder), Anthony Roberson (left big toe) and forward Troy Murphy (left Achilles tendon) all sat out with aching body parts.

Granted, it was only the 76ers, who are tied with the Charlotte Bobcats for the second-worst record in the NBA at 7-20, on the other bench. But when you're down to 10 players in uniform, as the Warriors (15-15) were, there's no point being finicky about the quality of opponent.

Golden State led by 20 at the half and bumped that to 29 points early in the third quarter via a 16-7 run studded with three 3s by Barnes.

This was the second time this season Barnes had stuck it to one of his former NBA employers; he piled up a career-best 32 points against the Sacramento Kings on Dec. 12. But unlike that contest, this was a personal battle for Barnes, who got only 540 minutes in 50 games last season from 76ers coach Mo Cheeeks.

"It felt really good," Barnes said. "Especially having Mo Cheeks last year, and he told me not to shoot jump shots. He told me I wasn't a jump shooter, so don't shoot nothing outside the paint. So when I hit a couple of those (3-pointers), I was looking at him, telling him I worked on my jump shot a little bit."

Said 76ers guard Andre Iguodala: "(Barnes') game spoke for everything tonight."

Spurred on by a rare visit from his grandmother, Lela Nicholson -- who was watching from courtside in Oakland for only the second time -- Warriors guard Baron Davis racked up 21 points and 16 assists. Center Andris Biedrins quietly posted his 10th double-double of the season with 16 points and 11 rebounds. Forward Mickael Pietrus, playing with a clear plastic mask protecting his broken nose, added 17 points and five boards. And forward Ike Diogu, one game after being chewed out by Nelson, had a season-high 13 points.

"It just felt good to get a win," Davis said. "We didn't play great basketball tonight, but we got a lot of that bad basketball out at the practice (Monday) night. Matt, he carried us tonight. He really wanted to prove to them that he could shoot it."

Somebody warn Ainge he needs to apologize, pronto.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:44 am
Without Barnes the team would be looking garbage in the win column

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:17 pm
Just like Billups, I'd think Barnes has finally found his home. Billups was shipped around couple times before settling in Detroit. Barnes had to do the same with couple teams and ended up here in Golden State. He has really taken advantage of his opportunities during the offseason time.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:43 pm
and he's funny: " (Coach Jim) O'Brien used to just tell me that I needed to learn the offense. I was like, 'Man, the offense is not that tough: Get the ball to (Allen) Iverson.' " :mrgreen:
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:17 pm
Being at that game was amazing. Barnes couldn't miss (well, he did once... but, you know what I mean).

Big ups to Ike, as well, for hauling down a few tough boards (not to mention that vicious swat of his). Biedrins was rebounding well, too.

The best part of the game was hearing (and starting) the cat calls.

"Waitaminute...? We get to crack on Chris Webber... AND Joe Smith, in the same game!?! Thank you, God!" :D
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:49 pm
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:Just like Billups, I'd think Barnes has finally found his home. Billups was shipped around couple times before settling in Detroit. Barnes had to do the same with couple teams and ended up here in Golden State. He has really taken advantage of his opportunities during the offseason time.

Hopefully Barnes can continue to play the way he has and hopefully he be a major player here for years to come. He could be the future SF and Pietrus and dun will have to fight for the reserve spot which, if Pietrus agrees to resign for average salary, could see dunnyboy shipped out. For what and who wants him I don't know

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:17 am
I'm seriously enjoying Matt Barnes' ride with us... He is exactly the kind of player we didn't have and badly needed. A tough guy that can defend, hit the outside shot and get some boards.

Which, of course, leds me to worry about his future with us. I'd rather see Barnes re-signed before Pietrus... but MP will be easier, as we don't have any kind of rights over Barnes.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:33 am
TMC wrote:I'm seriously enjoying Matt Barnes' ride with us... He is exactly the kind of player we didn't have and badly needed. A tough guy that can defend, hit the outside shot and get some boards.

Which, of course, leds me to worry about his future with us. I'd rather see Barnes re-signed before Pietrus... but MP will be easier, as we don't have any kind of rights over Barnes.

Pietrus has been solid and he fits the team very well so if Barnes were to leave, things won't be that bad

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:36 am
migya wrote:Pietrus has been solid and he fits the team very well so if Barnes were to leave, things won't be that bad

Don't get me wrong. I like what Pietrus has done this season, but I like Barnes better. I'm a sucker for underdog stories. :wink:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:57 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:Pietrus has been solid and he fits the team very well so if Barnes were to leave, things won't be that bad

Don't get me wrong. I like what Pietrus has done this season, but I like Barnes better. I'm a sucker for underdog stories. :wink:

Well Pietrus was under pressure this past offseason and he was said to be on the way out and not playing well at all and he has come through pretty well. That's a bit of an underdog story

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:49 pm
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:

Well Pietrus was under pressure this past offseason and he was said to be on the way out and not playing well at all and he has come through pretty well. That's a bit of an underdog story

I'd think it was a smart move not resigning him. If Mullin did, Pietrus may have tried to play like he was worth the money. Players tend to lose their confidence in play when they know they were paid a sh*t load of money to perform. And if they continue to not get it done, they lose their confidence in theirself.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:55 am
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:

I'd think it was a smart move not resigning him. If Mullin did, Pietrus may have tried to play like he was worth the money. Players tend to lose their confidence in play when they know they were paid a sh*t load of money to perform. And if they continue to not get it done, they lose their confidence in theirself.

things have gone well and that is the important thing but it will interesting to see whether Mullin has plans on resigning him. I think Pietrus is ideal as trade bait and that is probably the option Mullin is looking at

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:12 am
migya wrote:things have gone well and that is the important thing but it will interesting to see whether Mullin has plans on resigning him. I think Pietrus is ideal as trade bait and that is probably the option Mullin is looking at

I've got the feeling that he's looking to trade Murphy (at least) to be able to re-sign the young guys.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking. :wink:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:11 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:things have gone well and that is the important thing but it will interesting to see whether Mullin has plans on resigning him. I think Pietrus is ideal as trade bait and that is probably the option Mullin is looking at

I've got the feeling that he's looking to trade Murphy (at least) to be able to re-sign the young guys.

I reckon he is as well but he would be shopping Pietrus along with him because that is about the only way he will get rid of Murphy and it is good thinking because Pietrus has done well and is potentially very good

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:18 am
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:

I reckon he is as well but he would be shopping Pietrus along with him because that is about the only way he will get rid of Murphy and it is good thinking because Pietrus has done well and is potentially very good

Trading both certainly would free up enough money to re-sign Monta and Biedrins... but Pietrus will be a free agent at the end of the season, and that may scare some teams (they still would have the right to match, but we all know that when a player doesn't want to sign, it doesn't help much).
Next

Return to News Articles