Tim Kawakami on Troy Murphy

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3042
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:42 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:14 am
Pssst: Warriors are 5-0 without Murphy (and 7-11 with him)

By Tim Kawakami
Friday, December 15th, 2006 at 6:46 am in Warriors, NBA.

It’s proven: I’m a meany. I pick on poor Troy Murphy. Sorry, everybody! He’s never done anything to harm anybody! MEAN. MEAN. MEAN. I’M MEAN.

I actually hold players accountable for things like… when the team plays sooo much better when they don’t actually play.

MEAN.

But there are some facts to consider with Ol’ Troy, and if nobody else is going to mention this, and I’m not sure anybody will, I guess it’s left to me:

The Warriors’ fun, fast-paced, semi-miraculous home victory over Houston on Thursday pushed their record to 12-11… and 5-0 when Murphy is injured and not in the line-up.

* Warriors: 5-0 without Murphy playing.

* 7-11 when he plays.

OK, all five of those non-Murphy victories came in home games, so that skews it only a bit.

* 5-0 at home without Murphy.

* 6-5 at home with Murphy.

Sort of interesting, no?


I know this won’t go on forever, even if Troy’s Achilles’ soreness might.

If he doesn’t play tonight in Phoenix, the perfect streak will probably end, because the Warriors are not a good road team and Phoenix is a very good team and it’ll be that dread back-to-back finish on the road thing.

Then if Troy keeps sitting through the six-game road trip, the Warriors will pile up losses–because they’re going to lose a bunch of games with him or without him. Period.

(1-5 is my best guess for the trip; 2-4 actually wouldn’t be bad; 0-6 is definitely possible. This is a tough one.)

Plus, Troy’s not a terrible player. He broke his nose in the exhibition season and has struggled with that. He doesn’t fit into Don Nelson’s playing style. He rebounds OK, or so I’ve heard.

All that. A million NBA teams are dying to have him, or so I’ve been told by his agent.

But still… What gives with the with/without Murphy win differential? Just plain bad luck?

I ran some other numbers–not the real technical stuff, just the Warriors’ record when some of their other big players have been hurt this season:

–Warriors with Jason Richardson in the line-up: 8-8.

* Warriors without Richardson: 4-3.

* Without Richardson and when he plays 20 minutes or less: 4-5.

–Warriors with Baron Davis: 10-9.

* Without Davis: 2-2.

You know I have a theory on this. I’ve typed it about 10 times a year since Murphy’s come here and I’ll really briefly sum it up one more time:

1) He and Mike Dunleavy cannot play together. They’re too slow to ever be paired together defensively and they’re too stationary on offense to be paired together on the other side.

Yet coach after coach has tried to play them together. TOGETHER.

Nelson figured it out in two games. That has kept Murphy on the bench during some key stretches when Nelson wants Dunleavy handling the ball or spacing the floor and cutting–which is the fourth quarter, mainly.

2) Murphy is the worst defensive forward in the NBA. I know: I’m mean. But he is. How else can you explain the Warriors playing so much friskier on defense WHEN MURPHY’S NOT PLAYING?

I don’t know. Just plain luck, again, I guess.

3) Andris Biedrins is gobbling up all those cheapie rebounds Murphy used to knock over people (mainly his own teammates) to get–and Biedrins is earning them by playing monster defense, instead of Murphy’s no-defense, run-to-the-backboard style of play.

Shh: Biedrins’ version of double-doubles is better.

4) On this Warrior team, as with the last three or four editions, Murphy’s a classic minor duplicative player.

He’s a stationary, jump-shooting, no-low-post-game, no-defense, defensive-rebounding player on a team that already has four or five guys who all do those exact same things better–with the exception of rebounding for the last three seasons, but Biedrins is taking care of that now.

If Murphy isn’t out there bombing away from three-point distance, without the ability to create a shot for himself or anybody else, then Dunleavy can do the same or Richardson or any of them.

Or someone else can step in for Murphy, someone WHO DOES DIFFERENT STUFF–like play defense, penetrate, get to the post, block shots, fill the lane on the fastbreak… you know, crazy stuff like that.

That’s why the Warriors’ record is so neutral–and has always been neutral–for Murphy’s 10 or 12 really good games a year. His stats are just taking away from another duplicative (and better) Warrior player or a different kind of player who helps in many different ways.

* When Murphy gets minutes and plays poorly, the Warriors are in trouble–because those are minutes somebody else could do much the same stuff, and better, or different stuff, and much better.

Why do you think the Warriors look so different when Matt Barnes is out there? It’s not because he’s a superstar–except vs. Sacramento. It’s because he does different stuff… runs, tips passes, takes weird trips to the basket, dishes…

-In the six games Murphy has scored 8 points or less, the Warriors are 2-4.

-In the six games Murphy has totaled three rebounds or fewer, the Warriors are 2-4.

(TWO OVERLAP games, Warriors are 1-1 when Murphy scores less than 10 and rebounds less than three.)

There. If this Murpy plays/doesn’t play W-L stat turns around during the course of this season, I swear, I’ll type about it. I swear.

But pssst: I sort of doubt it. Sorry.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:36 am
Thanks for posting it, colt. Should have done it myself, instead of just posting a link... Much better this way.

Time to start the Muphy-hater-ton. :mrgreen:
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2558
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:53 am
Location: where you aren't
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:50 am
wait until 32 comes into the thread and says

"here's the part I really thought was stupid -
by Tim Kawakami
"after that I stopped reading"
ImageImage
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3042
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:42 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:51 am
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:wait until 32 comes into the thread and says

"here's the part I really thought was stupid -
by Tim Kawakami
"after that I stopped reading"
:mrgreen:
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13525
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:08 pm
Surprisingly, I read the entire thing. But I found it strikingly similar to my tongue-in-cheek article on Matt Barnes.

I say practically the same thing about Barnes... but, in the end, admitted that I was just saying it for argument's sake. Those sort of stats never tell the whole story. Its just common knowledge.

Hey, Timmy! The Bobcats are currently 6-16 with Emeka Okafor in the lineup! Maybe he's garbage, too, eh? :roll:
Kawakami bases this entire article on two things: 1) those meaningless facts that everyone dismissed when I used them in relation to Matt Barnes... and 2) his hatred for Troy Murphy.

Kawakami thinks that he's turning the tables by acknowledging the fact that he's a pessimist. He thinks that by admitting it, somehow, it becomes less true (hoping that somewhere, someone will actually see him as being an un-biased source of journalistic reporting). Long story short, thats BS.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21378
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:13 pm
Fact is that Murphy has been a MAJOR disappointment this season and looks like he must be removed because he is nothing but wasted salary. If the guy is not rebounding and scoring some, he does nothing
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:07 am
migya wrote:Fact is that Murphy has been a MAJOR disappointment this season and looks like he must be removed because he is nothing but wasted salary.


Got news for you. He's been like that his whole career. It's just that he was the only guy playing inside, so he had decent numbers to disguise it.

He ain't more than a 12 and 6 (with no defense) guy when he's not the only option inside.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21378
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:22 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:Fact is that Murphy has been a MAJOR disappointment this season and looks like he must be removed because he is nothing but wasted salary.


Got news for you. He's been like that his whole career. It's just that he was the only guy playing inside, so he had decent numbers to disguise it.

He ain't more than a 12 and 6 (with no defense) guy when he's not the only option inside.



I reckon he is better than that and is just in a bit of a slump but it does look like he can't do much with another decent big next to him
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3042
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:42 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:17 am
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:Fact is that Murphy has been a MAJOR disappointment this season and looks like he must be removed because he is nothing but wasted salary.


Got news for you. He's been like that his whole career. It's just that he was the only guy playing inside, so he had decent numbers to disguise it.

He ain't more than a 12 and 6 (with no defense) guy when he's not the only option inside.



I reckon he is better than that and is just in a bit of a slump but it does look like he can't do much with another decent big next to him

I said last year he had the softest double double stats in the league, and it sounds right that now that Biedrins is getting the easy boards (and the hard ones) Murphy's boards have dropped off. Where's Ike? Here's the latest from rotoworld:

"Briefly: Diogu, who was been out since Nov. 7 with a sprained ankle, has yet to play after being activated Thursday. But the forward said Friday that he has let the coaching staff know he is available if needed. "I'm ready whenever they call me," Diogu said. ... Murphy (sore left foot) missed his third straight game, while Jason Richardson remained hopeful of returning Monday against New Jersey."
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21378
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:22 pm
coltraning wrote:But the forward said Friday that he has let the coaching staff know he is available if needed. "I'm ready whenever they call me," Diogu said. ... Murphy (sore left foot) missed his third straight game, while Jason Richardson remained hopeful of returning Monday against New Jersey."




He is needed right now! Nelson should be playing his arse
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:08 am
migya wrote:
coltraning wrote:But the forward said Friday that he has let the coaching staff know he is available if needed. "I'm ready whenever they call me," Diogu said. ... Murphy (sore left foot) missed his third straight game, while Jason Richardson remained hopeful of returning Monday against New Jersey."




He is needed right now! Nelson should be playing his arse


He's probably a bit out of shape... I guess he'll get increasing minutes during the next two weeks.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21378
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:02 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:
coltraning wrote:But the forward said Friday that he has let the coaching staff know he is available if needed. "I'm ready whenever they call me," Diogu said. ... Murphy (sore left foot) missed his third straight game, while Jason Richardson remained hopeful of returning Monday against New Jersey."




He is needed right now! Nelson should be playing his arse


He's probably a bit out of shape... I guess he'll get increasing minutes during the next two weeks.




It should be performance based. If Diogu performs well in his minutes, play him more, if not, play him fewer minutes
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya

Return to News Articles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron