Charlie Rosen rips Baron and the Ws a new A--hole

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3042
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:42 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:47 am
Warriors' season could long, painful disaster

Charley Rosen / Special to FOXSports.com
Posted: 2 hours ago
On Monday, the Warriors thoroughly embarrassed themselves by losing in San Antonio by 40 points. Their comeback on Tuesday was a mail-it-in 118-90 humiliation in Houston — in a game that wasn't nearly as close as the final score indicated.
Around the league with Rosen

FOXSports.com NBA analyst Charley Rosen breaks down the league, one squad at a time, in his ongoing series of team reviews:


Golden State Warriors
Detroit Pistons
New Jersey Nets
New York Knicks
Minnesota Timberwolves
Los Angeles Lakers
Indiana Pacers
Houston Rockets
Denver Nuggets
Utah Jazz
Phoenix Suns
Chicago Bulls
Cleveland Cavaliers
Dallas Mavericks
Miami Heat


Golden State's ostensible leader is Baron Davis, and his performance against the Rockets was a microcosm of the Warriors' woes.

On defense, Davis was simply horrible. He usually went under screens, thereby letting his opponent fire away from the perimeter without even token opposition. He did this even when he was guarding Tracy McGrady. And when McGrady cut off a weakside screen and scored an unimpeded layup, Davis wasn't even in the picture. T-Mac continued to waste Davis, on baseline drives and on wing-isos.

To start the second half, Davis was switched on to Shane Battier, a much more passive scorer than T-Mac. In this matchup, Davis was more interested in chasing the ball than in playing solid defense. On one sequence, he raced from the wing to the middle to try to harass McGrady, but then made no attempt to recover when T-Mac whipped a pass to Battier. Finding himself unguarded, Battier easily buried a trey.

Davis's offense wasn't much better. He did tally 18 points on 6-16 shooting, and added 5 assists and two steals. But four of his misses were forced shots (including an airball). Worse, Davis passed the ball a total of sixteen times — this number includes assists, entry passes, go-nowhere passes, turnover passes, and even inbounds passes. In other words, Davis had 32 touches on offense and shot every other time he handled the ball.

Let me put it this way: While Davis is an extremely talented player who showcases a rare combination of speed, quickness, power, and creativity, the guy is only looking out for No. 1. And that's exactly why he's at the top of the losers' llist.

Meanwhile, the Baron's subjects didn't fare much better.

Despite his shiftiness and his smooth stroke, Monta Ellis is another me-first player. His stat line was revealing: 8-14 (including four ill-advised bricks), 2 steals, 4 turnovers, 19 points, and zero assists. Like Davis, Ellis is also more interested in chasing the ball than in guarding his man.

Mickael Pietrus is extremely athletic — 2-8, 8 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 blocks, 12 points — but routinely turns his head on defense.

Anthony Roberson is useless without the ball — 2-9, no assists, 2 turnovers, 6 points. In addition, he also forced a quartet of shots. Playing defense is a venture into the unknown for this rookie, but if someone teaches him to move his feet instead of merely swiping at the ball with his hands he just might develop into an adequate defender.

Andris Biedrins made a nice step-through move in the pivot, but when he tried to take a lefty hook directly at Yao Ming, the shot was swatted into the third row. Biedrins is obviously a rhythm shooter who can knock down mid-range jumpers as long as he can step into the shot. But when his feet are locked — as they are on the free-throw line — Biedrins shot was very stiff (0-4 from the stripe). Yes, he has quick hands and feet, but there's still something awkward about the way he moves.


The Warriors struggled to contain Yao Ming. (David J. Phillip / Associated Press)

As ever, Mike Dunleavy was helpless on defense. What was surprising, however, was that he was pushing his jumper instead of freely shooting it — 3-9, 6 points. Dunleavy's sloppy passwork was likewise unacceptable.

If Troy Murphy were right-handed, playing in the NBA would be a pipe-dream. Yes, he's an okay one-on-none shooter with surprising range, he can take his left hand to the hoop if the lane-traffic is light, and he's also an aggressive rebounder — but the guy didn't show much athleticism. And even though he was the only big man who earnestly helped on the Rockets' screen/rolls, Murphy would also need a third arm in order to play adequate defense.

Patrick O'Bryant distinguished himself by at least being active on defense. The rookie showed quick feet, but bad hands. That's why he was so clumsy with the ball.

Keith McLeod was good-O, bad-D. Adonal Foyle banged around the paint to little effect and tossed up a short jumper that spronged off the front rim.



On offense, the Warriors ran some high S/Rs, one or two wing S/Rs, a double-high-post set (wherein a guard cut through and set a screen for Davis to cut into the middle), and plenty of isolations. Yet while somebody or other was working his defender one-on-one his teammates tended to stand around and watch. No cuts, no punch-ins, no movement whatsoever. And it wasn't until the second quarter, when the Warriors were already down by 15, that they abandoned their futile perimeter shooting and started driving the ball into the lane.

For too many of their possessions, whoever carried the ball across the time-line just kept on going until he could create a shot for himself.

As a whole, the Warriors' defense totally disintegrated whenever the Rockets worked the ball for more than ten seconds. Weakside screens yielded open shots. Rotations were either late or non-existent. S/Rs led to uncontested jumpers and layups galore.

Worse still, Don Nelson's opening game plan called for guarding Yao Ming one-on-one. Neither Biedrins nor Murphy was given any help, even when they tried fronting Yao. As a result, Yao shot 12-17, with many of his scores coming on lob passes and the resulting dunks. The Warriors did alter their tactics somewhat in the second half (when they were trailing by 21) and softly doubled Yao whenever he put the ball on the floor. Too bad this strategy was unaccompanied by any kind of compensatory defensive rotation. Consequently, three of Yao's four assists came when he was doubled and eventuated in dunk shots for T-Mac.

The visitors' transition defense was even more ridiculous — completely lackadaisical, confused, and inept. The Rockets always found an open shot whenever they pushed the ball. This was true even when the Warriors' had the advantage — Houston scored on 1-on-3, 2-on-4, and 2-on-3 fast breaks.

In the second quarter, the Warriors played a shifting 1-2-2 zone that occasionally stymied Houston. Indeed, the Rockets were only 2-8, including a pair of turnovers versus the zone. But Nellie only returned to this alignment in the fourth quarter when the game was already gone.

Okay, the Warriors miss Jason Richardson, who's still recovering from off-season surgery. But even when J-Rich is suited up and operating at full-speed, Davis is still Golden State's main man.

Ugh!

And unless there's a dramatic change in the roster, or in Nellie's small-ball, shoot-‘em-up, little-d tactics, the Warriors' season will be long, painful, and extremely frustrating.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:16 am
I can't really say I disagree... but the report is from one of our worst games of the season. It would have been much different if it were from the game we won, for example, against the Jazz.

We're not as good as we looked in that game... but neither are we so bad as against Houston.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3086
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:51 pm
Location: Redwood City, CA
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:10 am
Yeah, pretty accurate... it was painful to watch that game.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3042
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:42 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:23 am
TMC wrote:I can't really say I disagree... but the report is from one of our worst games of the season. It would have been much different if it were from the game we won, for example, against the Jazz.

We're not as good as we looked in that game... but neither are we so bad as against Houston.

Yeah, I agree. Rosen is prone to huge and sweeping generalizations, and I doubt he would have written it that way had he seen us at 7-3 or after the wins over Spurs/Utah. The most compelling point was how he ripped Baron...I mean

"Davis's offense wasn't much better. He did tally 18 points on 6-16 shooting, and added 5 assists and two steals. But four of his misses were forced shots (including an airball). Worse, Davis passed the ball a total of sixteen times — this number includes assists, entry passes, go-nowhere passes, turnover passes, and even inbounds passes. In other words, Davis had 32 touches on offense and shot every other time he handled the ball.

Let me put it this way: While Davis is an extremely talented player who showcases a rare combination of speed, quickness, power, and creativity, the guy is only looking out for No. 1. And that's exactly why he's at the top of the losers' llist. "

That is harsh. That Baron does exist, as does the joyful, driving, get everyone involved Baron. I am baffled as to which one shows up. A theory is this: Baron trusts his teammates when things are going well, in other words, he is a generous and unselfish frontrunner. When the chips are down, he reverts to me against the world.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:47 am
coltraning wrote:The most compelling point was how he ripped Baron...I mean

"Davis's offense wasn't much better. He did tally 18 points on 6-16 shooting, and added 5 assists and two steals. But four of his misses were forced shots (including an airball). Worse, Davis passed the ball a total of sixteen times — this number includes assists, entry passes, go-nowhere passes, turnover passes, and even inbounds passes. In other words, Davis had 32 touches on offense and shot every other time he handled the ball.

Let me put it this way: While Davis is an extremely talented player who showcases a rare combination of speed, quickness, power, and creativity, the guy is only looking out for No. 1. And that's exactly why he's at the top of the losers' llist. "

That is harsh. That Baron does exist, as does the joyful, driving, get everyone involved Baron. I am baffled as to which one shows up. A theory is this: Baron trusts his teammates when things are going well, in other words, he is a generous and unselfish frontrunner. When the chips are down, he reverts to me against the world.


I wouldn't read too much into what Rosen writes about Baron. I remember an article last year after our game in Detroit (in which Ike toyed with the Wallace's) ripping Baron... and it was eerily similar.

Seems like he already has a preconceived idea of Baron, and that idea stays the same no matter what happens. Sometimes Rosen's right, but we all know that Baron has two faces...
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:30 pm
I agree, Baron's performance was mostly me-ball. He'd take it to the hole everytime, and hell even jack up a shot when it was clear he was struggling and others were open at the time.

And about Monta. Yes, he is a me-first type player. But last time I checked, so was Arenas, so was Iverson.

But Rosen makes a good point. Something is up with the Warriors, and they need to fix it or else we will see them trying for a late run for the 8th seed or, heck, even worse.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3042
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:42 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:51 pm
TMC wrote:
coltraning wrote:The most compelling point was how he ripped Baron...I mean

"Davis's offense wasn't much better. He did tally 18 points on 6-16 shooting, and added 5 assists and two steals. But four of his misses were forced shots (including an airball). Worse, Davis passed the ball a total of sixteen times — this number includes assists, entry passes, go-nowhere passes, turnover passes, and even inbounds passes. In other words, Davis had 32 touches on offense and shot every other time he handled the ball.

Let me put it this way: While Davis is an extremely talented player who showcases a rare combination of speed, quickness, power, and creativity, the guy is only looking out for No. 1. And that's exactly why he's at the top of the losers' llist. "

That is harsh. That Baron does exist, as does the joyful, driving, get everyone involved Baron. I am baffled as to which one shows up. A theory is this: Baron trusts his teammates when things are going well, in other words, he is a generous and unselfish frontrunner. When the chips are down, he reverts to me against the world.


I wouldn't read too much into what Rosen writes about Baron. I remember an article last year after our game in Detroit (in which Ike toyed with the Wallace's) ripping Baron... and it was eerily similar.

Seems like he already has a preconceived idea of Baron, and that idea stays the same no matter what happens. Sometimes Rosen's right, but we all know that Baron has two faces...

Yeah, Rosen is very hit and miss. I had no idea he ripped Baron that game where he ran the pick and roll to perfection with Ike, that is ridiculous. i do know he called Jordan a B player in versatility! Still, his analysis of baron is certainly partially accurate...
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2558
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:53 am
Location: where you aren't
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:14 am
while he is right on this one, this is charlie rosen, guys. The biggest idiot in hoops writing this side of eliot kalb. the guy who believes that he was the only hope for the white man in basketball in the sixties. cant take him seriously
ImageImage
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21377
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:20 am
:mrgreen:


What a slaughtering!

Baron is the key now as he was when he first got here and as he plays like garbage, so does the team usually
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
Posts: 1128
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:06 am
Location: East Bay
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:03 am
actually rosen must be a moron. when he was talking about biedrins he said he can hit the mid range jumper if he steps into it.. biedrins hasnt hit a jump shot allll yearr.. this guy is a moron. period.
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."

All Star
Posts: 2261
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:05 am
Location: Berkeley
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:28 am
Actually Bedrins hit 1 face up J from about 12 ft out 2 games ago :|
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....

All Star
Posts: 1128
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:06 am
Location: East Bay
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:33 am
lol ok thats good knowledge. i wouldnt base his game on 1 shot though like rosen did..
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."

Return to News Articles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests