Turns out Ellis was too good to pass on

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:56 pm
sell what picks? were going all the way baby....
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:04 pm
:-o Definately a glass half full perspective...

But a lot of teams aren't giving us that sort of respect yet. I think we should sell our picks while they still have "lotto" written on them.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:04 pm
#32 wrote:I think we should sell our picks while they still have "lotto" written on them.

That's a good point! The time to do any trade involving the team's future draft picks is better off being done now because the team does not look like they are going to be in the lottery if things keep going the way they are but since they are the GS Warriors, not many will be convinced of this just yet.

It is really a hard situation because if one or more of the young guys up for resigning can't be resigned because of high price, trade packages will likely not involve lottery picks anymore because the team will likely be in the playoffs.

Could be another awkward situation for the team

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:11 am
#32 wrote:But a lot of teams aren't giving us that sort of respect yet. I think we should sell our picks while they still have "lotto" written on them.

I wouldn't do that. If Mullin has done anything well, that's drafting (I didn't like the POB pick, but the rest of his picks have been good to great). Getting rid of our picks is not the way to go. I don't care much about the second rounders, but we should at least keep the first rounders.

There's still time to take care of the re-signings. Biedrins is still under contract for next year (as he signed his contract under the old CBA, that allowed one more year in the rookie contract for first rounders. It would be better to re-sign him this next offseason, but it's not a must), and Ellis should be the one we should worry about this offseason.

Pietrus would depend on how much he's asking for and if we can move some bad contracts (maybe Murphy, who looks like the most tradable). If not, we should let him go. He's helping the team, but he's not a key for us.

I'm still not sure we should extend Baron once his contract is up. He has two years to prove he can be a factor (he's proven to be one when healthy... so he has to prove he can stay healthy. If not, we should let him go).
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:42 am
If Don Nelson is still the coach, Baron Davis has a place on the roster. Even if he only plays 65 games a year; he's playing like an MVP.

And the only reason I say sell the draft picks is because it's (likely) the only pretty way we can package off Murphy or Dunleavy for expirers.

Also (something that needs to be addressed)... if Murphy's traded, we'll need a backup 4. Dunleavy can't do it, Barnes is too small, and I doubt we'll play Foyle and Biedrins side by side. Chris Taft was cut, leaving us without a 3rd string power forward. At the moment, Murph and Ike are all we got.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:48 am
#32 wrote:Also (something that needs to be addressed)... if Murphy's traded, we'll need a backup 4. Dunleavy can't do it, Barnes is too small, and I doubt we'll play Foyle and Biedrins side by side. Chris Taft was cut, leaving us without a 3rd string power forward. At the moment, Murph and Ike are all we got.

No problem. Backup PFs are dime a dozen. That, and backup SG, are the easiest positions to fill. I'm not worried about that.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:31 am
But, as you've said before about backup points, I doubt it's an easy position to fill well.

I dunno about you, but I don't wanna be calling up Shawn Kemp out of desperation. :oops:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:42 am
#32 wrote:I dunno about you, but I don't wanna be calling up Shawn Kemp out of desperation. :oops:

We wouldn't need to go that far. A backup just needs to be solid, not able to win games by himself. That's a position we should easily fill in a trade offering a second rounder or something like that...

I mean, players like Leon Powe or Memphis' Lawrence Roberts or Alexander Johnson are good enough to be backups... and they could be obtained pretty cheap.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:17 pm
The Celtics are extremely high on Powe. Just because they snatched him the 2nd round doesn't mean they think any less of him. Think of how we were with Monta Ellis last year.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:20 pm
#32 wrote:The Celtics are extremely high on Powe. Just because they snatched him the 2nd round doesn't mean they think any less of him. Think of how we were with Monta Ellis last year.

The Celtics would do Powe and fillers for Murphy, Dun or Pietrus and a second rounder in a heartbeat.

Powe is, and will be, the third option for the position behind Ryan Gomes and Al Jefferson.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:37 pm
You don't think the Celtics see Murphy and Dunleavy's huge contracts, compared to all of Powe's potential...?

Would we trade Ike Diogu and fillers for Grant Hill and a second rounder? :oops:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:52 pm
#32 wrote:You don't think the Celtics see Murphy and Dunleavy's huge contracts, compared to all of Powe's potential...?

Would we trade Ike Diogu and fillers for Grant Hill and a second rounder? :oops:

That's not comparable. A comparable trade would be Perovic and fillers for Hill and a second rounder. But they do not need to get rid of salaries, so there's no motivation for Orlando to make that trade. It's a completely different situation.

Boston is changing things, everyone but Pierce and Gomes can be available for trades... and they'd certainly be willing to receive big contracts because they can waste Pierce's last years rebuilding. If they go for players with no resumé, he'll force a trade out. Boston is the ideal team to offer Murphy in a trade.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:01 pm
Even though they've already got two power forward projects in Jefferson and Powe...?
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:26 pm
Very good points by both of you. I see where you're coming from TMC saying that Mullin should keep the draft picks because he has been a good judge of talent so far but I also see where #32 is coming from saying that that could be the only way to trade Murphy, with some 1st rounders. Maybe keeping two 1st rounders for the next four or five years would be ideal enough and may even land a steal.

I also agree that it is probable to land a backup PF through the draft or through a trade but whether it lands a good enough contributor is something else. The thing is getting a PF that is on a lower salary, that is the biggest point of all for trading Murphy. That would set up a resigning of Diogu at the very least.

A guy I'm interested in is Wayne Simien of the Heat. I think he is attainable with an expirer and maybe even a future 1st rounder (that could be desirable because the Heat are aging and some three or four of them will retire soon). Pat Riley likes his experienced players and Murphy is experienced enough and could fit in very well in the Heat.

Either way, something has to be done from now until the following preseason or as early as the start of the offseason because Monta and Pietrus are up for resigning (I thought Biedrins was as well but TMC is on the ball with these things)

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:17 am
yeah, we have drafted really well and I think it is an excellent idea to package a pick with Murphy to move and make some room for all those players we have drafted and want to resign (Monta, Andris, Ike)...
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
PreviousNext

Return to News Articles