Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:02 am
Posted on Sun, Nov. 19, 2006
Booing Mike Dunleavy
By Geoff Lepper

At venues around the country, ticket holders are greeted at many doors by a poster emblazoned with the NBA Fan Code of Conduct, a nine-point edict instituted by the league that bans, among other things, fighting, throwing objects onto the court and the display of indecent messages.

There is no prohibition against a home crowd booing its own players, however, as Warriors forward Mike Dunleavy can attest.

Twice during the Warriors' five-game home winning streak, Dunleavy has faced the wrath of an Oracle Arena crowd, despite his best stretch of basketball this season. In those five games, he has averaged 13.4 points, 6.4 rebounds and 4.4 assists, shooting 49.1 percent from the floor and 40.0 percent on three-pointers.

Nevertheless, when Dunleavy bricked a pair of free throws against the Detroit Pistons on Nov. 11, derision rained down from the stands, and it happened again Tuesday after he misfired on a three-pointer against the Toronto Raptors.

``They pay money, they can do whatever they want,'' said Dunleavy, a fifth-year pro. ``It doesn't bother me. I've dealt with it. It's not a big deal. Quite frankly, I'm used to it. It's kind of a laughing matter now.''

Though Dunleavy may joke about the situation, there is a legitimate question: Is the home fans' treatment of Dunleavy fair?

``Nothing's fair in sports, and everything is,'' said Warriors Coach Don Nelson, in his 42nd NBA season as a player or coach. ``Hey, if you're going to survive, you've got to get some skin on the end of your nose and play above it.''

In the interest of full disclosure, Dunleavy's highlights on this homestand have drawn just as many cheers as a Jason Richardson alley-oop dunk or a clutch fadeaway jumper by Baron Davis. Yet any mistake threatens to unleash a new wave of the fans' ire.

The conundrum is perhaps best summed up by ``Flashfire,'' a Golden State follower who posted some thoughts on the fan site warriorsworld.net after the Raptors game.

``Yes, (Dunleavy is) a scapegoat at times,'' the post read. ``No, it's not his fault he was drafted third. No, it's not his fault he was offered the contract he signed. However, it is his fault when he has been in the league as long as he has and he hasn't proven he can play consistently good basketball. When he shows he can do that, the boo-birds will be quieted.''

In the meantime, however, Dunleavy's teammates would like to see him catch a break. Forward Troy Murphy, a New Jersey native, recalls watching Yankees pitcher Jack McDowell leave the field giving an obscene gesture to hometown fans in response to booing, and credits Dunleavy for not reacting in similar fashion.

``I think he's a great player and it's an unfortunate situation,'' Murphy said. ``I think the people that boo him don't know the difference between a basketball and a pumpkin. It's a tough thing for him, but he handles it very well.''
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:09 am
As has been said countless times before, Mike Dunleavy Jr is getting negative reactions from the Warriors fans because he has been a disappointment since he first arrived!

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:10 am
O.G. broe wrote:``I think he's a great player and it's an unfortunate situation,'' Murphy said. ``I think the people that boo him don't know the difference between a basketball and a pumpkin.

And I think Dun doesn't know the difference between a basketball and a watermelon. Does that mean that we're tied? :mrgreen:
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:25 pm
Good to see Murphy stick up for his teammate. Jason Richardson's been doing the same thing. These 3 guys seem real close.

The continuity in Golden State looks to finally be blossoming. Imagine how scary they'll be in another year with Nelson.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:01 pm
Yea I agree, too bad the "Fans" aren't doing the same :oops:

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:13 pm
Quote today From J Rich in The CC Times.

Said Richardson, a fellow Warriors captain: "They've been pretty tough on Mike ever since he's been here. I think they've got to back off of him. It's already tough enough to be a basketball player and trying to perform and win games. You come to your home arena, you don't want to take shots from your fans. He's just got to continue to be strong and go out there and play basketball, not worry, 'If I make a mistake, will the fans boo?'"
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:54 pm
Hey, if Dun does well and has a good run, then I will cheer. If he screws up, I will boo. Simple as that. Dun needs to get over it.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:25 pm
But there's a difference between Jrich and Dunleavy. Jrich has been here a year longer than Dunleavy. And he has proved so much more than Dunleavy. He may not be one of the top 5 stars in the NBA but were not as frustrated with how he has developed. Dunleavy has been given 4 years to prove himself. And yet, he has never lived up to his 3rd overall hype. He's never taken advantage of his skills and talent. While Jrich has and always does.

But I do like knowing Murphy and JRich have Dun's back. Shows where the chemistry is at.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:03 pm
John Patrick wrote:Hey, if Dun does well and has a good run, then I will cheer. If he screws up, I will boo. Simple as that. Dun needs to get over it.

Simple and direct! :mrgreen:

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:19 am
J-Rich is only talking because he's one of the captains and that's what he has to do. It goes with the territory. I'm sure he's as frustrated as everybody with "the Dun", but he doesn't call out a teammate in the media (not like other player I have in mind right now).

btw, and to clear the issue, I'm not defending that Dun HAS to be booed in the games. I'm defending the freedom of people to do what they consider adequate. If I were able to go to the games, I wouldn't boo him... but that doesn't mean that I can't understand, and even support, the right to boo him.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:05 pm
TMC wrote:J-Rich is only talking because he's one of the captains and that's what he has to do. It goes with the territory. I'm sure he's as frustrated as everybody with "the Dun", but he doesn't call out a teammate in the media (not like other player I have in mind right now).

I disagree. He didn't simply NOT slam Dunleavy; he defended the man. That doesn't come with the job territory. You're not required to defend anybody (least of all, their feelings). Mike and Jason are buddies; anybody will tell you.

JRich doesn't like the fans that boo Dunleavy, Murphy pretty much hates them... how hard is it for these people to understand.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:46 pm
#32 wrote:I disagree. He didn't simply NOT slam Dunleavy; he defended the man. That doesn't come with the job territory. You're not required to defend anybody (least of all, their feelings).

Being the captain, it does.

#32 wrote:Mike and Jason are buddies; anybody will tell you.

JRich doesn't like the fans that boo Dunleavy, Murphy pretty much hates them... how hard is it for these people to understand.

Then they're wrong. It's our job to make them see the light. :mrgreen:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:45 pm
TMC wrote:
#32 wrote:I disagree. He didn't simply NOT slam Dunleavy; he defended the man. That doesn't come with the job territory. You're not required to defend anybody (least of all, their feelings).

Being the captain, it does.

Well then, you and I disagree, my friend. I don't believe the captain of an NBA basketball team is obligated to defend "a teammate's feelings". Just me.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:55 pm
I think we're just all gonna have to agree to disagree here. I usually don't boo either unless something is really sucking (like missing 4 free throws in a row or getting a few TO's in a row)
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:53 pm
John Patrick wrote:I usually don't boo either unless something is really sucking (like missing 4 free throws in a row or getting a few TO's in a row)

I never boo! I just start screaming at the TV and swear my arse off!

Next

Return to News Articles