Richardson ask's fan's to give Dunleavy a chance.

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:47 am
coltraning wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
#32 wrote:The respect you speak of is gained through fear. When people are afraid of their superiors, they become unstable.

Children who straighten up because they're punished have been seen in studies to go right back to their bad behavior once the parental figure is out of sight. Furthermore, punishment doesn't lead the victim to better understand the virtue he is meant to learn; it leads him to despise the punisher. Modern psychologists all agree that the method of punishment is ineffective and needs to change.

Compelling cases have been made against the whole concept of abusing someone for stepping out of line. This practice is seen as a waste of time.

Case in point, if fans boo Dunleavy, it's a sign of disrespect. Jason Richardson was even quoted saying he knows it hurts Mike Dunleavy. And, as stated above, hurting someone for screwing up never creates a positive result.

There's no point in arguing with migya on this one, 32. Migya's the guy who thinks that every american should have an assault rifle

I'm all in favor of us spanking Migya's child, but other than that... :mrgreen:

Migya doesn't have any children..... that he knows of
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:47 am
coltraning wrote:No tears for Dung hear, though, like I said, he has played well the past 2 games...

Let's see, first it was #32 and uptempo agreeing on a topic, now Dun plays well two consecutive games...

RUN, THE APOCALYPSE IS COMING Image

:mrgreen:
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:54 am
TMC wrote:
#32 wrote:Case in point, if fans boo Dunleavy, it's a sign of disrespect.

Of course it is. Why would anyone boo someone they respect?. If people boo is because they don't want to see him again.

It also means, since Richardson's been quoted talking about how much it hurts Dunleavy, that Mike is less likely to improve.

If hurting the team by destroying the confidence of (like it or not) a team captain is your goal, than by all means, boo away. But most experts would agree that its counter-productive.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:01 pm
#32 wrote:It also means, since Richardson's been quoted talking about how much it hurts Dunleavy, that Mike is less likely to improve.

If hurting the team by destroying the confidence of (like it or not) a team captain is your goal, than by all means, boo away. But most experts would agree that its counter-productive.

If the plan were for him to stay, improve and become a foundation of the team, it's true that it's counter-productive... if the plan is force him out of the team, it's the best way to do it. Always works.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:05 pm
How are we going to force him out? His contract's too long to eat and nobody will take him!
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:35 pm
#32 wrote:How are we going to force him out? His contract's too long to eat and nobody will take him!

There are always morons willing to trade for hype, believing in the reversal of fortunes (although probably not during this season, due to his BYC status).

Doesn't matter. Booing Dun is fun. :thumbup:
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:33 pm
I know alot of people on this forum dont go to the games, Location or whatever, but when you are at one and the crowd boos Dun, or any of the Ws it pisses me off, why come if you are going to turn on any Warrior player
if they are not playing the way you want. Its fine to talk trash on forums like this about Dun, even thou (hopefully) he looks like he is going to be playing better, but at a game it is just disrepectful of the team as a whole. So if you are booing the Warriors on their home court, just stay home, or better yet drop me a line Ill gladly take your ticket and go and root for my favotite team.
GO WARRIORS....................
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:36 pm
:D Well said, zshook!
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:47 pm
Regarding that... people pay to watch games, and that means that people are allowed to express their views. If they want to cheer, great, if they want to boo... so be it. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY will boo a team or a player that is doing the right things. If people boo is because they don't like what they see... and probably has been going on for a while (four years in this case).

It's like an election. People can vote whatever they want or don't vote at all. No one can say one option is better than others, 'cos everyone is free to do whatever they want.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:06 pm
An election is a civic duty that most people feel obligated to perform. Besides, the outcome can change the lives of millions of people (depending on whose being elected).

As much as we all love the Golden State Warriors, the outcome of their franchise won't hurt anybody (outside of their own people) if they do poorly. No fans are being harmed by the Golden State Warriors when the Warriors lose.

Why are you booing somebody over something that has nothing to do with you? Its like harassing a company when their stock points go down. Even if you own a microscopic amount of stock in the product (as one can argue when they purchase a ticket), you're not doing anything to help the cause by bitching and complaining about it.

Its classless. Thats all.
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:44 pm
John Patrick wrote:Two different examples. Dun is a professional and an adult. Anyone who signs up for the NBA needs to accept booing. It's a part of the game.

absolutely, it comes with the territory of sports and has for a long long time and the Bay Area is SOFT compared to what Chicago, Philly, Boston and NYC put their hometown heroes through. Case in point: Giambi booed mercilessly by Yankees fans, while Giants fan continue to adore Barry steroids. there is rarely a great player who has not been the object of booing from his home fans - Ted Williams thrived on it...the single Mom working two jobs to put food on the table gets my sympathy, not wealthy entertainers who get booed. Guaranteed, Dung plays like he has the last 2 games, the booing stops
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:02 pm
coltraning wrote:Giambi booed mercilessly by Yankees fans, while Giants fan continue to adore Barry steroids.

How's that working out for Giambi? Isn't he batting 8th now (bumped down from his clean-up spot a few years back)?

coltraning wrote:the single Mom working two jobs to put food on the table gets my sympathy, not wealthy entertainers who get booed.

So you're saying that human rights are determined by social status? :scratch:

Seriously, why should an athlete be allowed to get abused anymore than the next person? I used to ref basketball and football games in high school. When parents ridiculed me for making a call they disagreed with, I'd toss their asses out of the game. That's it. No big talk about "how they are entitled to their opinion because they pay the school, which paid my company, which paid me". No circle of life. No blabs about how "they have the right to boo". None of that BS. Just an unruly fan getting whats coming to him. I think it should be the same at the professional level. There's no reason to abandon class simply because money is involved.

coltraning wrote:Guaranteed, Dung plays like he has the last 2 games, the booing stops

And I'll stop beating my 7-year old when he brings home all A's on his report card. :wink:
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:59 pm
#32 wrote:
coltraning wrote:Giambi booed mercilessly by Yankees fans, while Giants fan continue to adore Barry steroids.

How's that working out for Giambi? Isn't he batting 8th now (bumped down from his clean-up spot a few years back)?

coltraning wrote:the single Mom working two jobs to put food on the table gets my sympathy, not wealthy entertainers who get booed.

So you're saying that human rights are determined by social status? :scratch:

Seriously, why should an athlete be allowed to get abused anymore than the next person? I used to ref basketball and football games in high school. When parents ridiculed me for making a call they disagreed with, I'd toss their asses out of the game. That's it. No big talk about "how they are entitled to their opinion because they pay the school, which paid my company, which paid me". No circle of life. No blabs about how "they have the right to boo". None of that BS. Just an unruly fan getting whats coming to him. I think it should be the same at the professional level. There's no reason to abandon class simply because money is involved.

coltraning wrote:Guaranteed, Dung plays like he has the last 2 games, the booing stops

And I'll stop beating my 7-year old when he brings home all A's on his report card. :wink:

we'll just have to agree to disagree, bro. I don't equate the abused 7-year-old with the wealthy underperforming athlete - every culture has its codified language, and heckling, booing, invective, all part of the grand tradition of sport. The strong don't get fazed (see Muhammad Ali as a case in point) the weak crumble like a little....Dunleavy. Oh well, we can always agree on politics :mrgreen:
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:51 pm
It has nothing to do with hurting Dunleavy's feelings or feeling sorry for him or how much $ he has in the bank or draft position, and of course you have the right to boo, and yes some players have thicker skin and play better under those conditions, but it can also be counterproductive and detreMENTAL to the player and the TEAM, which is obvious in Dunleavy's case, by pressing and second guessing his shot at HOME where it shouldn't feel like he is on the road or be a more hostile environment :!:

Prime example Dunleavy is shooting 73% from the ft line on the road but only 60% ft at home so far and his career is 76%, he made 100 straight in practice...

If you are a Warrior fan and want to see the Warriors win get over the past, bite your lip and cut Dunleavy some slack and hopefully he can build his confidence up after these 2 solid performances so he can be a contributor to the TEAM'S success :!: Dunleavy isn't going anywhere so get over it.

Go Warriors 8)
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:12 am
#32 wrote:Seriously, why should an athlete be allowed to get abused anymore than the next person?

Because they make their money from those fans. No fans means no league and no income. Dun might be working at McDonalds. In other words, he's making a living from those fans' money=====> They have all the right to bitch and moan about his game.

As colt says, it goes with the territory.

Also, and this is my real point, not related to Dun or the Warriors, when the team, other fans or anyone does not allow booing, that's a form of censorship. That shouldn't happen. There has to be certain limits, but as long as the phisical safety of everybody is guaranteed, I don't have a problem with people expressing their feelings whatever way they want to.
PreviousNext

Return to News Articles