Shawn Kemp wants to play ball again....

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

How do you feel about Kemp returning to the NBA?

I think it's great!
33%
This sucks!
17%
I could care less.
50%

Total votes : 6

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:56 pm
I used to really enjoy watching Kemp. The problem was that half of his highlights is him dunking over the Warriors.

Click the link for the story....

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AvrnFPT4kfiUyW.XOwBJntW8vLYF?slug=ap-supersonics-kemp&prov=ap&type=lgns
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:00 pm
This is so stupid.

There's nothing worse than a legend (or, in Shawn's case, semi-legend) tarnishing their legacy. Jordan on the Wizards, Tim Hardaway playing in the development league, Jerry Rice getting cut from the practice squad in Denver...

Kemp's been wanting a second chance in the NBA for a while now. That's no secret.

Shawn Kemp, in his first NBA stint, had already become a parody of what he once was in the 2nd stage of his career. Portland and Orlando (not to mention a small bit of time in Cleveland) looked like they crammed Shammu in a jersey. Kemp ate himself up to 300+ pounds. The once slender 'Reign Man' could now put a body on Shaquille O'Neal in the paint.

Kemp brushed off comments that he needed to get in shape by simply claiming that his body had changed since his younger, higher-flying days. His attitude and comments proved that he had no bones about making a huge quantity of money with half assed effort. Kemp was an MVP candidate in Seattle... and, apparently, that was good enough for him. The rest of his career, he seemed more like a hasbeen than anything else.

Shawn Kemp has attitude issues (as shown by his contract fit), motivation issues (as seen from his constant time out of shape), and turns 38 in two weeks.

He can't help any team in the league. He can only hurt what's left of his legacy.

Those of us who remember those crazy "Payton to Kemp" ally-oops have been punished enough, Shawn. Please, don't overshadow the few, good memories we have left.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:15 pm
Dum cunnt! He is making himself more of a clown by saying he wants to play again.

The fat, druggy, slut fuking (a slut himself really - Fathered 7 children from 6 different women :mrgreen: ) lazy prik should Get himself a respectable job and use the money he has wisely

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:51 pm
Kemp was never the player MJ and Rice were. MJ returning was horrible because he was the best, if not. He was not at his old form, so why play again. We'd rather see him in his 80's-90's form. Rice should've retired after he played a season with the Raiders. There was no use for him anymore, he just wasn't Rice anymore. Kemp was a good player, just not great. His name isn't as big, and for him to return, no one would care.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:11 pm
It doesn't matter how big or how small you were; making a complete parody of your old self is disgusting to me.

I even remember seeing advertisements a while back for a return match featuring Hulk Hogan... Hulk Hogan???! As in, from Wrestlemania in the 80's??? Isn't that guy like 70?? I've skimmed past his reality TV show a couple time; the man's mustache is completely white! Fake or not; I can't imagine even a wrestler still 'having it' after a huge absence.

Shawn Kemp is the same thing. He ruined his legacy upon leaving Seattle... and wants to stomp on it even more now. Its a joke. Those of us who do remember him (and, therefore, care - even if its just a microscopic amount) don't wanna see this.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Don't do it, Shawn...
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:04 am
Shawn Kemp could have been one of the top 5 PF of all time. He had all the talent in the world... a pity he didn't have a brain to go with it...

btw, if really devoted to come back, I think his physique could handle it and be a good role player from the bench. But he will sign next month with Rome's team, which could be a good place to see if he can play again the NBA...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:37 am
If Kemp dieted and worked his way back down to 260 or less, he could probably still be a decent rebounder (and possibly scorer) from the bench (or, in Atlanta, starter).

But if the Shawn Kemp from Portland comes back, it'll be disastrous.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:34 pm
Kemp is one of the most underrated players of all time. His stats hardly reflect his monstrosity. If he comes back he'll become even more underrated. This is a terrible choice
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:14 am
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:Kemp is one of the most underrated players of all time. His stats hardly reflect his monstrosity. If he comes back he'll become even more underrated. This is a terrible choice

I think he can do well in Rome... but going back to the NBA?. That may be a bit too much at his age.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:40 pm

this isn't kobe? I know it's eddie jones because of the jersey number, but still....
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:57 pm
Who knows how things would have turned out if that Glen Rice trade never happened. In my opinion, Eddie Jones was a better Laker than Kobe Bryant (prior to that trade). If Eddie got the grooming that Kobe got (playing next to Shaquille O'Neal, all the shots he wanted, higher expectations, ect), he might have been one of the better players of the decade.

I, personally, don't think Kobe would be NEARLY as big if not for the time he spent playing next to Shaq.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:12 pm
#32 wrote:Who knows how things would have turned out if that Glen Rice trade never happened. In my opinion, Eddie Jones was a better Laker than Kobe Bryant (prior to that trade). If Eddie got the grooming that Kobe got (playing next to Shaquille O'Neal, all the shots he wanted, higher expectations, ect), he might have been one of the better players of the decade.

I, personally, don't think Kobe would be NEARLY as big if not for the time he spent playing next to Shaq.

I personally don't think Eddie Jones ever had anywhere near the talent of Kobe Bryant. He was and still is definately talented and was an allstar caliber player that was awesome to watch. He should go down as one of the best defenders of his era because he really was a lockdown defender for at least 10 years. Kobe Bryant is however, a superstar and elite in history player that is one of the best players in the nba and an icon

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:34 pm
Yes, but Kobe Bryant didn't become an icon until after the departure of Jones. One could argue that the pedigree Bryant recieved there after could make a superstar out of anybody.

It's no coincidence that Penny Hardaway, Kobe Bryant, and Dwayne Wade became All-NBA caliber during their years with O'Neal. No one can argue the fact that they would have made fine players, regardless of Shaq's presence... but the fact that they all became the face of the league, at one point or another, is too amazing to ignore. It would be as if Jerry Rice had made every quarterback he ever caught passes from (in Oakland and Seattle) look like MVP-caliber stuff. Shaq's effect on these youngsters goes unsaid... but without it, they would undoubtably have reached lesser peaks.

Shaquille O'Neal creates a superstar guard everywhere he plays. Sure, Kobe had the athletic tools of a God... but so did Eddie. Sometimes I wonder how things would have turned out if Kobe got traded for Glen Rice, instead of Eddie. Would the Lakers still be a dynasty? Would the Shaq-Kobe drama have never occured? Would Phil Jackson even been necessary in that alternate reality? Jones was a far better defensive player than Bryant, even though his handling skills weren't at Kobe's level.

Just food for thought, I guess.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:23 am
#32 wrote:Yes, but Kobe Bryant didn't become an icon until after the departure of Jones. One could argue that the pedigree Bryant recieved there after could make a superstar out of anybody.

Because he was too young and lacked experience... I don't think the talent level is even close between the best Eddie and the best Kobe.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:02 am
TMC wrote:
#32 wrote:Yes, but Kobe Bryant didn't become an icon until after the departure of Jones. One could argue that the pedigree Bryant recieved there after could make a superstar out of anybody.

Because he was too young and lacked experience... I don't think the talent level is even close between the best Eddie and the best Kobe.

I have to agree but I know where #32 is coming from because Eddie had some nice potential.

Kobe was always going to be a star and I think Shaq's presence with star guards is overrated, though he is a good partner to have to take away the pressure and some of the attention.

The guy I look to being a real superstar guard is Wade. This guy is just amazing to watch and he has no real outside shot yet. Wade could really be among the most complete guards ever and he is not that tall

Next

Return to News Articles