Richardson's knee gets a real workout,

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:43 pm
Janny Hu

Monday, October 30, 2006

Jason Richardson still doesn't know if he'll be ready for the Warriors' season opener Wednesday, but he put his surgically repaired knee through its toughest workout to date Sunday.

Richardson participated in a 5-on-5 scrimmage for the first time since having his knee scoped two months ago and reported no soreness afterward. The real test comes during another lengthy workout today.

"Everything felt good, but we'll see what the doctors have to say, what the trainers say, and what the strength and conditioning coach thinks," Richardson said. "I'm just going to ice it tonight, take it easy, come in early tomorrow and see how it feels. It's the first day of really doing something this much."

Coach Don Nelson started practice with an hour of 3-on-3-type drills to help Richardson with his timing before progressing to full-contact scrimmaging. Richardson turned heads during 5-on-5 play by chasing after loose balls and attacking the basket, though with less hop and speed than usual.

Though Nelson worried that Richardson was playing too hard, the coach was thrilled to have last year's leading scorer back -- and with the rest of his projected starting lineup -- for the first time this preseason.

"His timing is off, can't make a shot, can't make a pass, he couldn't guard me right now," Nelson said semi-seriously, "But he made my day when he walked out on the court."

Remembering 'Red': After he appropriately lit up a cigar and settled into a seat outside the Warriors' practice facility, Nelson recalled his memories of Red Auerbach, who died Saturday at 89.

"He was just my mentor and the guy that I owe almost everything that I've achieved in basketball," said Nelson, who played under Auerbach for a year before the coach moved into the Celtics' front office. "He saved my career after I got waived. He taught me the game. He helped me get a coaching job. He advised me on coaching whenever I called him. And that was a real special relationship ...

"The thing I learned most (from) him is how to handle a basketball team. How to handle men. ... That even though the book says you treat everybody the same, you don't treat everybody the same. Each one has a different personality and you handle each man differently depending on that personality.

"He handled Bill Russell way different than he handled Tom Sanders, for example. He handled Sam Jones way different than he handled me. Those are invaluable lessons that you could only learn them if you were there and you paid attention."

Briefly: Zarko Cabarkapa was the only Warrior who did not practice Sunday. He is scheduled to see a doctor regarding his strained lower back today. ... Golden State must submit its 15-man roster to the league by 3 p.m., thereby making the additions of Anthony Roberson and Matt Barnes official. ... The Warriors are set to lose their exclusive negotiating rights with Mickael Pietrus when the season starts Tuesday. If no contract extension is reached, as expected, Pietrus will be a restricted free agent at season's end. ... About 1,500 tickets remain for Wednesday's opener.

E-mail Janny Hu
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:10 pm
i have a question. are we able to extend pietrus? with all of those contracts? i mean if we can. we should get him now. hes probaly cheap right now. i'd really like to see pietrus stay a warrior for life. just like richardson :D

Role Player
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:41 pm
for life?…he hasn't really proved anything…and i think mullin's still scarred from dunleavy's extension
Rookie
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:46 pm
i really respect Pietrus' enthuasiasm. i like his heart for the warriors. i remember from 2 years ago. when he did this after game report i ono i like it because he didnt talk like a player. he talked like he was a fan and that is the reason why i like pietrus so much. He loves to play here
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:27 pm
Yeah read this article in the paper. Hopefully he'll be ready by the season opener, though if Kobe doesn't play, I don't see why we should play Jrich so soon if he isn't ready.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:16 am
PhaNxTasY wrote:i have a question. are we able to extend pietrus? with all of those contracts?

We can... the team would have to pay luxury tax, but we defintaly can. Another question would be if we want to do it now, as we'll have the right to match any offer next offseason.

Return to News Articles