Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:16 am
Posted on Mon, Oct. 23, 2006
WARRIORS NOTEBOOK
Richardson seems on target for the opener
By Geoff Lepper

Jason Richardson was still absent from the Warriors' practice facility when the team's workout ended Monday, but the good news regarding his impending return traveled fast.

By the time Golden State finished its preparations for tonight's final home exhibition, word had come down that Richardson -- sidelined since arthroscopic surgery on his left knee Aug. 22 -- was cleared to practice. Better yet, Coach Don Nelson's timetable ends with Richardson taking the floor Nov. 1 for the season opener against the Los Angeles Lakers.

``I'm sure that he'll be very rusty, and it'll take a while to get (back), but a week should be all he'll need,'' Nelson said. ``I think we have eight or nine days. Perfect timing.''

Richardson won't play tonight against Portland, and it didn't sound as though Nelson would push him for Thursday's exhibition finale against Seattle in Spokane, Wash.

``I'd like to get him in some scrimmages,'' Nelson said. ``Hopefully we'll be able to do that. I don't care about the game, really.''

With Richardson out, Dajuan Wagner and Monta Ellis have shared the shooting-guard position, with mixed results. Nelson expects Richardson to better that.

``It means we're getting one of our best players back,'' Nelson said. ``A lot of stuff I put in, I put in for (Richardson), so hopefully he'll be able to run it better than the other guys.''

• The Warriors' victory over the Los Angeles Clippers on Friday represented a milestone in Nelson's long NBA coaching career: It was the first time he used a zone defense for 48 minutes.

Although the 2-3 alignment allowed the Warriors to use three of their smallest guards -- from the group of Ellis, Wagner, Anthony Roberson and Keith McLeod -- at the same time without seeing them get posted up and overpowered defensively, don't expect an increase above the planned 20 percent zone when the season starts.

It didn't hurt that the Clippers were without most of their top rotation, including Elton Brand, Chris Kaman, Sam Cassell, Cuttino Mobley and Shaun Livingston.

``They'd have carved that up if they'd have had a good team in there,'' Nelson said. ``They had openings anyway and didn't make them. They attacked it pretty well. I wouldn't have been able to stay in it that long (against the starters).''
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:23 am
That's what I like to hear. Any chance he'll be 100% by the Laker game? or in the 90's?
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:25 am
xBayAreaWarriorx415 wrote:That's what I like to hear. Any chance he'll be 100% by the Laker game? or in the 90's?

I don't think he'll be 100% till at least mid-november... he's just been cleared to practice. He can't be ready and at full strenght in just a week.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:54 am
He'll be shooting outside jumpshots all through Early November... but then come thanksgiving time and December... BAM TEABAGGING ALL ROUND!
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:44 am
A 75-80% Richardson is still a Top 10 guard in the Western Conference. No matter what condition he's in, I'm glad he's back.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:12 am
#32 wrote:A 75-80% Richardson is still a Top 10 guard in the Western Conference. No matter what condition he's in, I'm glad he's back.

I'm glad he's back as well, but I would like for him to be 100% before suiting up. I would hate for him to reinjure himself for trying to come back too soon...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:25 pm
So far in his career, Richardson's been something of an iron man. I predicted a few months ago that this season should be a setback for him. He's primed for one.

Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:07 pm
Yeah everytime Jrich returned from injury he exploded with a huge such as the return game against Denver when he put up 42 in a win. This proves he's real important to us. Plus we need another body to match Kobe's scoring somehow.

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:21 am
I Watched J Rich practice before the game for 30 minutes, he looked good with no evidence of a hitch, he was shooting the lights out, running sprints then shooting free throws and repeating the process :D
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:07 am
Big B wrote:
#32 wrote:A 75-80% Richardson is still a Top 10 guard in the Western Conference. No matter what condition he's in, I'm glad he's back.

I'm glad he's back as well, but I would like for him to be 100% before suiting up. I would hate for him to reinjure himself for trying to come back too soon...

That's the thing. He better be right to play or he could get a chronic injury or something

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:43 am
migya wrote:That's the thing. He better be right to play or he could get a chronic injury or something

I don't think there's any problem about him playing. He'll be 100% healthy for the regular season opener. What I'm saying is that, due to lack of practice, he'll be a bit rusty... hence the comment about not being 100% till mid-november. It wasn't health related.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:44 pm
O.G. broe wrote:I Watched J Rich practice before the game for 30 minutes, he looked good with no evidence of a hitch, he was shooting the lights out, running sprints then shooting free throws and repeating the process :D

As encouraging as this is... practice and a game situation are totally different. His opponents won't watch out for his knee the way his teammates will.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:47 pm
#32 wrote:
O.G. broe wrote:I Watched J Rich practice before the game for 30 minutes, he looked good with no evidence of a hitch, he was shooting the lights out, running sprints then shooting free throws and repeating the process :D

As encouraging as this is... practice and a game situation are totally different. His opponents won't watch out for his knee the way his teammates will.

Well, it's a start. Opponents will try and take advantage of his knees though. Kobe may not be playing by the season opener though, but we still have to watch out how Jrich lands everytime he jumps because it would put pressure on those knees while they're still recovering from surgery. But like I said, it's a start. Though we shouldn't be worry much, this is not like Amare's injury on the knees.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:53 pm
I just think we can't really stop worrying until a game situation. Even a preseason game.

Return to News Articles