Michael Pietrus: "I want to be a Warrior"

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:30 pm
John Patrick wrote:I would give him limited minutes. His play last year was piss poor... even worse than Dunleavy. 10-15 minutes max seems appropriate.

I agree. And what he does with those minutes should dictate where we go with him from there. If he comes out swinging and bangs out 8 or 9 points in only 15 minutes of play, than keep the kid in for 25 minutes the next night. migya's got a point; Nelson makes kids like these fly. If Nelly can make Pietrus useful, than we should use him. But if last season was a sign of things to come, he should start packing his bags right away.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:20 pm
Chances are Pietrus will much more effective in Nelson's system than Dunleavy will be. Dunleavy will have to playmake and shoot far better than he ever has in order to be a major part of the team under Nelson because scoring and running are 80% or more of Nelson's style and those are both a weakness of Dunleavy right now. With Baron and Ellis able to make plays, Dunleavy will have to shoot very well and, as an added bonus, pass well when he gets the chance.

Pietrus can get very far just running with Baron and the rest and finishing on the break. If Pietrus can defend like he used to to, he'll be a major player on the team and Nelson will use him for some 30mins a game.

Expect the athletes, if there is enough playmaking from Baron and Ellis, to get alot of the court time as they are best suited to the run and gun. Players like Dunleavy and Zarko will have to shoot and pass real well and if they do, they can be even more valuable than some of the more athletic players but shooting consistently is harder than running and dunking. Players like Foyle and possibly O'bryant (even Biedrins if he fouls alot and is a major liability on offense) will surely get very little time

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:10 pm
I dunno...

Nelson's always been big on 'point forwards'... and Pietrus couldn't handle his own package if his life depended on it. Pietrus is a better defender... but Dunleavy's beter in virtually every other aspect of the game.

Athletics are one thing, but common sense is another. Nelson won't play a player without the slightest lick of talent. So far, Pietrus has proven to be crippled in the fundamentals department.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:10 pm
Pietrus has shown that he has confidence and ability to score in bunchs and that is a trait that Nelson likes alot. Steve Nash and Tim Hardaway were always the main ball handlers and playmakers on Nelson's Warriors and Mavs teams anyway. He only used Antoine Walker as a point forward because Nash had gone and Terry is such a good shooter that he could afford to do that. With Baron, Nelson will not have anyone making decisions all too often but him and so Dunleavy will have to do other things like shooting (a real negative of his last season) and passing when he has the chance (something he has the ability to do decently but has never really done well so far).

Nelson's system will likely allow Pietrus to flourish more than Dunleavy because of Pietrus' running and athletic skills but just don't know until we see it. Both could do well or both could do horribly again

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:41 pm
Pietrus right now is a wild card, it's useless arguing about him. Some nights he shows up, others he don't. Hopefully Nelly can maximise his potential, but if he doesn't then he shouldn't be played or paid (extension), period.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:56 pm
John Patrick wrote:Pietrus right now is a wild card, it's useless arguing about him. Some nights he shows up, others he don't. Hopefully Nelly can maximise his potential, but if he doesn't then he shouldn't be played or paid (extension), period.

Seems like you described the NBA version of Aaron Brooks. That's when he was with New Orleans I mean.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:56 pm
If Mickael Pietrus is the NBA's version of Aaron Brookes, than hopefully we'll find a sucker team to trade him to before his value dries up.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:01 pm
#32 wrote:
O.G. broe wrote:Let’s talk a bit about you and the Golden State Warriors. Looking back on last season, do you feel that maybe you underachieved personally?

MP: No, I wouldn’t say that. I’m not too disappointed with the way I played

This kid is given an opportunity last season. He completely loses it and fails. He has the worst statistical season of his career. He declines in, virtually, every category except minutes. His percentages tank across the board. And then he claims, "oh, no, I'm not disappointed with myself at all last year"...

... and than he has the audacity to say he wants to stay a Warrior as long as possible?!?!

Mully, scoop this choking piece of shiit off our front lawn and throw him into the neighbor's yard. Of course he wants to stay a Warrior... hell, after a season like that, he probably just wants to stay in the NBA. :banghead:

IF i can remember correctly, ME and #32 were one of the FEW people on this forum who wasnt MADLY in love with pietrus at the beginning of last season. I'm glad i saw the real pietrus despite the fans love for him.

Now its good to see most people realize pietrus is JUST purely potential. And that potential wont be fulfilled until he has a much greater knowledge of the game itself and show dedication.
In the Golden State of Mind since '97.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:44 pm
You are correct, sir.

Seemingly everybody bought into his BS but the chosen few.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:57 pm
Noone can be blamed for thinking Pietrus was and still might become a great player! The guy has incredible athleticism and is still very young. He had already shown some skills and it was expected that the fukin twit would spend some time bouncing the ball (as to get some dribbling skills), pass off the wall or to someone else a few times a week (to improve passing), watch some Warriors games from the past three seasons (to get some awareness of what goes on and see how he has actually gone a bit backwards) and tried to get some passion back (as he has lost some of his intensity, especially defensively) but............... HE DIDN'T!

AT LEAST SO FAR

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:36 am
kfresh wrote:IF i can remember correctly, ME and #32 were one of the FEW people on this forum who wasnt MADLY in love with pietrus at the beginning of last season. I'm glad i saw the real pietrus despite the fans love for him.

Now its good to see most people realize pietrus is JUST purely potential. And that potential wont be fulfilled until he has a much greater knowledge of the game itself and show dedication.

Well, I wasn't so in love with him. It was more that the other option was Dun-Dun.

But even I thought that Pietrus would have improved at something last season. The only stat he improved was the missed games one.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:21 pm
migya wrote:Noone can be blamed for thinking Pietrus was and still might become a great player! The guy has incredible athleticism and is still very young. He had already shown some skills and it was expected that the fukin twit would spend some time bouncing the ball (as to get some dribbling skills), pass off the wall or to someone else a few times a week (to improve passing), watch some Warriors games from the past three seasons (to get some awareness of what goes on and see how he has actually gone a bit backwards) and tried to get some passion back (as he has lost some of his intensity, especially defensively) but............... HE DIDN'T!

AT LEAST SO FAR

Far too many players go through the league with that pedigree. "Great athleticism", "solid defender", "lots of potential"... very few of them actually pan out. If Pietrus DOES become something special, he'll be a minority of those players that actually pan out. I expect nothing from him next year (which will make it all the more pleasant if he comes through).
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:51 pm
DELETED
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:42 pm
#32 wrote:
migya wrote:Noone can be blamed for thinking Pietrus was and still might become a great player! The guy has incredible athleticism and is still very young. He had already shown some skills and it was expected that the fukin twit would spend some time bouncing the ball (as to get some dribbling skills), pass off the wall or to someone else a few times a week (to improve passing), watch some Warriors games from the past three seasons (to get some awareness of what goes on and see how he has actually gone a bit backwards) and tried to get some passion back (as he has lost some of his intensity, especially defensively) but............... HE DIDN'T!

AT LEAST SO FAR

Far too many players go through the league with that pedigree. "Great athleticism", "solid defender", "lots of potential"... very few of them actually pan out. If Pietrus DOES become something special, he'll be a minority of those players that actually pan out. I expect nothing from him next year (which will make it all the more pleasant if he comes through).

If he can become at least that then I'll take it. Pietrus becoming a solid defender with good offensive awareness is all I can ask. If he can add more, I'll gladly welcome it. He has this year to prove himself because I doubt he'll stay around another year if he performs the same way he did this past season.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:03 am
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:
#32 wrote:

AT LEAST SO FAR

If he can become at least that then I'll take it. Pietrus becoming a solid defender with good offensive awareness is all I can ask. If he can add more, I'll gladly welcome it. He has this year to prove himself because I doubt he'll stay around another year if he performs the same way he did this past season.

If Pietrus can play defense better than anyone else on the team and can score a bit, he will be a keeper because SF is weak and he is a great fit for the run and gun

PreviousNext

Return to News Articles