Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Site Admin
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:09 am
Warriors streaking: third win in a row

DAVIS DIRECTS VICTORY, HELPS HURRICANE RELIEF

By Marcus Thompson II

Knight Ridder

Warriors point guard Baron Davis drove left into the lane late in the first quarter, sneaking a two-hand dunk past P.J. Brown and converting the three-point play: $1,500.

A minute later, he charged down the lane and took off, throwing down a powerful one-hander over Chris Andersen: $1,000.

In the third quarter, he sneaked a no-look bounce pass through traffic to Mike Dunleavy for a layup: $0.

Davis finished with 17 points Monday night at Oakland Arena as the Warriors beat the New Orleans Hornets 99-83 for their first three-game win streak since closing last season with one. That's $8,500 Davis will put toward hurricane relief efforts per his pledge to donate $500 per point scored Monday, a total of $17,000 as the Warriors Foundation matched him.

But it wasn't his scoring that made the difference in the victory. Though they didn't help Hurricane Katrina victims, his assists sparked the Warriors (10-6), who hadn't reached 10 wins this fast since the 1991-92 season. Davis had nine assists in 34 minutes, giving him 23 over his past two games, 33 over his past three.

``You can't scout that,'' Warriors forward Troy Murphy said of Davis' passing ability. ``He's like a whirling dervish. He spins around and finds people for open threes. You can't scout it. It's not a set play. He just goes and does it for us.

``He's definitely one of the best that I've played with just creating something out of nothing. We'll run a play and they'll snuff it out and there'll be 10, 11 seconds on the shot clock. Next thing you know, somebody's got an open three. He does that really well and gets a lot of guys easy shots.''

The Warriors looked listless in the first half, totaling 46 points on 38.8 percent shooting. They trailed by as much as five but stayed close thanks to some productive minutes off the bench by forward/center Andris Biedrins, Calbert Cheaney and Ike Diogu -- who combined for 17 points and 16 rebounds.

The Warriors came alive in the third quarter. A layup by Davis at the 10:25 mark put the Warriors up 48-45 and ignited a 30-6 run.

He found guard Derek Fisher for a couple of open three-pointers. He got the crowd on its feet during one break with his patented around-the-back fake pass, setting up two free throws by Jason Richardson.

Five of Davis' assists came in the third quarter when the Warriors made 11 of 19 shots (57.9 percent).

``Just whipping that ball around and sharing, guys knocking down threes,'' Davis said. ``Team play is the most important thing to me. I'm not really averaging a lot of points. But at the same time, we're winning, I'm happy, my assists are up. It's fun when we share the ball and make the extra pass.''

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercuryn ... 280706.htm

Return to News Articles