Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Site Admin
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:06 am
Davis, J-Rich win in landslide

By Geoff Lepper
STAFF WRITER

MILWAUKEE — If Tuesday night's Election Day contest between the Warriors and Milwaukee Bucks boiled down to a referendum on the teams' respective backcourts, then the California ticket was carried into office in a landslide victory.

T.J. Ford and Michael Redd, Milwaukee's starting backcourt, had been getting talked up in some corners as one of the top duos in the league after starting off on a hot streak — Redd averaged 31.3 points over his first three games, third-best in the NBA, and Ford was Eastern Conference Player of the Week.

Tuesday, they were thoroughly outplayed by Jason Richardson and Baron Davis, who combined for 43 points, 20 rebounds and 16 assists. Ford and Redd, meanwhile, were held to respective totals of 29, eight and 15.

"I think we have the top backcourt in the league," Troy Murphy said. "Between Baron and J-Rich, it doesn't get better then that. J-Rich posts up, he dunks on people, shoots 3s. Baron posts up. They just do so much. They're great players."

HAMMER TIME: Warriors coach Mike Montgomery and his Milwaukee counterpart, former Warriors assistant Terry Stotts, shared an inside joke during the game. After a first-half timeout, Montgomery called for "Hammer," an inbound play that Stotts originally picked up as an assistant to George Karl in Milwaukee and brought to Golden State last year.

Mike Dunleavy missed the jumper, but Stotts caught the reference.

"He got a chuckle out of that, and he came out after halftime and ran it right back at us," Montgomery said. "I wondered if he would, but they got a shot and didn't make it either, so neither of us capitalized."

TIP-INS: A column in the Chicago Tribune on Monday anointed Montgomery as the leading candidate among NBA coaches to be fired and said Davis was ignoring his coach's requests to practice. "What a joke," one Warriors staffer snorted derisively after denying the report. ... Andris Biedrins missed his third straight game due to a sprained ankle. He ran sprints on the sideline before the game, but is still not fully healed. "Every day it's getting better and I can do more," Biedrins said. "I can run straight, but when I start to slide or stuff, I don't want to make some moves that I don't feel are safe." ... The official attendance of 14,712 could only have been correct if some fans went through the turnstiles three times over.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/warriors/ci_3197455

Return to News Articles