Game Thread: Orlando Magic @ Warriors 2012-01-12

Talk about the upcoming Warriors game here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:45 pm
I didn't like the strategy was used so much. I like it in key situations, but they should have made the shooters hit shots. Wait longer before fouling. I thought we were winning and had control until we stopped the flow.

My strategy if I was coach would be to get Howard in foul trouble be attacking him in offense. Get him out of the game.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:11 am
One more game and one more time Mark Jackson prove that he is not ready for NBA basketball coach.
freak_y
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:43 am
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:I didn't like the strategy was used so much. I like it in key situations, but they should have made the shooters hit shots. Wait longer before fouling. I thought we were winning and had control until we stopped the flow.

My strategy if I was coach would be to get Howard in foul trouble be attacking him in offense. Get him out of the game.

The same thing I've been trying to say all night during the game. Glad someone understands and thinks the same. :)

All Star
Poster Credit: 10
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:03 am
Guybrush wrote:
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:I didn't like the strategy was used so much. I like it in key situations, but they should have made the shooters hit shots. Wait longer before fouling. I thought we were winning and had control until we stopped the flow.

The same thing I've been trying to say all night during the game. Glad someone understands and thinks the same. :)

except that warriors tried and magic burried several three pointers in a row. thing is, if you double dwight, you have to have a fast four or big three, now that would mean doubling dwight with lee out of the game, he will not run to the three point line in time, that leaves playing small ball with biedrins/udoh/lee at the center, in which case, besides, obviously lee, offensively you play 4 on 5. lee was playing great on ofense by the way, so coach wanted to have him on the floor as much as he could.

in my book, given the circumstances, the coach did a great job, besides one point - if you are going to play radical, do it to extreme. once he let lee play one on one, he lost lee and possibility to win the game. should have stayed wiht hack a dwight for all game. i would have him fouled whatever amount of times it was possible to keep lee in the game.

great, even though not beautiful on the eyes, plan for the game.

p.s. another and ONLY viable possibilty was to simple run and gun nelson style, while letting howard dunk whenever he wants, but we have no belson. we have jackson and he wants to find his style of managing the game. this startegy also might have helped to tire orlando out, but all teams have very intense schedule, so that might have also tired warriors out.

there was no winning startegy for the game, there was not geting blown out and hoping for shots too fall/not fall at the end of the regulation.

which has happened.

missing dwight and curry also did not help for the run and gun implementation.

guess, all in all, there were much more positives in this game than negatives.
once again warriors played two great games in a row, now it's up to get at least 2-2 on the road, where they are historically terrible.
"i wish i was a little bit taller" skee lo

Rookie
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:32 am
I don't think there's any way Jackson figures out how to coach this season. It's sad to say this so early but it definitely seems like luck is not on our side this year.

Hopefully next year will be the year. I think Jackson has potential but he is definitely not ready yet.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:17 am
I still believe, if you don't have the personel to guard him, then you need to attack him on the offense.

Howard is a great weak side shot blocker, so don't try to go to the side where he is not....
dump it down in the post to a quicker lee with Howard guarding him. Make Howard play one on one defense.
Get him in foul trouble.

Is it a perfect formula? no, but much better then hack a howard. We stopped the clock and let him get in the game.
He shot for 50%... that is the same as the team shoting 50% from the field... that isn't good defense.

It is a hard situation to coach, and it is always easier to coach from the couch. All in all, the warriors played good (better then Knicks did against Memphis), and against any other team that would have been a win, and probably would have won it if we had Brown in the game.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:42 pm
I just don't like that way of playing, hack a Dwight, I mean. It's playing not to lose, and usually you end up losing like that. You're trusting that Dwight will miss FTs, and that you will be in the game because of that. But you make so many fouls that way, some plays they wouldn't score probably, you send them to the line for no reason, hoping for the best. And it's also not trusting your team to win the game, and I think they played good enough last night to win it.

Great effort from our players, really, can't say one bad word for them. Now we need road wins...so, let's get them.

All Star
Poster Credit: 10
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:53 pm
i would probably agree on many things wrong with this game plan, if i did not know that jackson was our coach. so far, he never made warriors trully run, i don't know why, maybe it's just the way this team wants to play, half court slow it down game. and, in light of this very real possibility after watching most of the games this year, his startegy was best he could do in half court set game flow.

as i mentioned during game i wanted them to run beginning 3rd quarter to try and build the lead, but they did not.
then jackson went with hack a dwight and it was obvious that he did not want to change the strategy or modify it.
that's what this warriors team wants to be - half court team and i don't agree with this thing in essence, for we have great athletes, but if that's what they (management etc) want it to be they will have to find extreme tactics to do it since our players are not especially adept at playing it slow.
so that was all there is to it.
i f you asked me if i wanted to have it run and gun ala nelson i would sure be for it.
whatever the case, that was a great game for THIS type of warriors team play.

anyway, i like extremes, so i probably overdefended the strategy for the sheer unconventionality of it.
guess with a game stopped due to that, warriors ahd more practice on running half court offense, at least.
"i wish i was a little bit taller" skee lo
Previous

Return to Game Threads