Game Thread: San Antonio Spurs @ Warriors 2010-11-30

Talk about the upcoming Warriors game here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Are the players going to leave their wives at home with Tony Parker coming to town?

Poll ended at Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:31 pm

YES
100%
NO
No votes

Total votes : 6

Rookie
Poster Credit: 4
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:18 pm
Knightofoceans wrote:Well, we've almost beat them when we sucked...so, I think now we have a better chance. Plus, we're at home so that increases the chances. I'd rather not say if we win or lose...I know, cheap....but I'd feel better that way :-o

I hope Lee busts out and scoops up 25 rebs and Reggie goes off. Just close out on their 3 shooters instead of pretending you're in help defense for Christ's sake!!!

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: -3
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:32 pm
Regardless of the results against the Spurs, it nice to see the season take a toll on the Bynum-less Fakers. Gasol looks Gasoft like form, and thank gosh we ain't the only team in a funk losing one key (David Lee) (and a lot of spares BW, Admundson, Udoh) bigs.

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:47 pm
We actually match-up, hope our bench comes through although I doubt that. The starters are going to have to log huge minutes to win.

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:19 pm
Small ball by both teams but why ? Gadz and Blair the only bigs in at the moment. boo

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:48 pm
Nice game from our other shooting guard (Curry), but dang it looks like he is playing with zero support. The biggest issue in the game is FT... we got none they got like 18 attempts.

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:58 pm
Ive read somewhere the warriors give up the most FT and shoot the less, shamefull.

Our bench sucks right now I have to admit, and Dorrell Wright were you at bro, wake up and play.

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:15 pm
David Lee aint no punk, i want to see a replay, the fans should just riot and jump Richard Jefferson, it is Oakland after all.

Raise up son.

Dang Monta we need to get it going.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:26 pm
What a beat down by the Spurs at home ... it reminds me when we got slaughtered by the Fakers at Staples. Is it too soon to discuss lottery baby, because the coaching/GMing has been fairly bad and exposed by elite teams... we are living and dying with the jumper (awful night for the trio of Rodney, Ellis and DW).
Here is my quick wish list. 1. develop BW (when he is healthy) 2. get Biedrins a double double every night 3. move Ellis or Curry like yesterday for a player like Iggy (I would rather have Jennings or Nash or CP3 but good luck getting a point in return ... dang if we only had Murphy we could had Collison) 4. If Smart can't coach legit playoff basketball (not just wins and losses) but points in the paint, developing bigs, developing a bench, improve the atriocious FT disparity .. give the rock to the high FG% guys ... bring in a coach that wants to play with bigs in the paint and trade for players that get to the line (of the players possibly available Gerald Wallace, Luol Deng, Jennings (not available but Nellie loved Curry ahead of Jennings), Demar DeRozan,Gallinari, D Harris) 5. My final knock on Smart (in addition doing nothing with Pietrus and BW during summer league) placing a focus/preference on jump shooting forwards (Vlade, Carney, and DW) ahead of BW and his low post moves means our team will never win consistently with his coaching philosophy
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:39 pm
watched the game.

interior D was probably the worst of the season. maybe D Lee was scared of hitting his bitten elbow. the help D was pretty bad tonight. and then there's nba officiating...the worst in sports...political as hell.

well the Spurs are 15 - 2, so whatdya gonna do. I think we can beat the average & bad teams. if we can steal some wins from the elites then that's found $$.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:16 am
This team is starting get exposed and the really consistent offense is Ellis and Curry. Everyone else is like garbage pick up and can't seem to incorporate their game inside the paint. This team can't play any def mostly putting our opponents on the line. Not good enough team def bad rotation hope they fix it soon by 2011.

All Star
Poster Credit: 10
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:42 am
damn, we can so bad offensively and not better defensively. i guess our guys feed off on offense, they are simply not defensive and not half court (without real plays, you keith!) team lacob and co. want to make them. as i said - ship everyone out, or play fast, shoot threes and gamble on defense against better teams if you wish to have a chance. you can play thin uninventive, dead boring position to position slow crap with teams below your level, though as games against pistons and new york show, smart gets outcoached as easy as sunday morning.
i'm officially of the hook of thinking that smart can be a coach in this league. he can't. or, which could be even worse, maybe he is just doing what lacob wants him to do, become the celtics! well, you rich asshole, we are warriors, and i want this team to have warrior identity, not a celtic one.

(of course, this loss is reasonable, but what i say is not because of this loss, but of general death stroke that this team may undergo if they stay below 100 points over and over, depressing)
"i wish i was a little bit taller" skee lo

All Star
Poster Credit: 10
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:06 am
48 Minutes of Hell has been talking all season about how the Spurs are playing at a faster pace than they used to. And it's true. Their pace is up, and for the first time in the Tim Duncan era, the team's offense is ranked far better than its defense.

Things are changing.

But, as M. Haubs of The Painted Area points out, the exact nature of their up-tempo offense is more unconventional than you could imagine. By and large it's not some clever scheme. It's not showtime. It's not coordinated. The best part of the Spurs' running game is essentially Tony Parker vs. the world, playground style. Haubs writes:

In watching San Antonio, it doesn't even feel like they're looking to run fast breaks as a team, it really just feels like Parker increasingly looks to take off on one-man forays. Usually, TP breaks one of the cardinal rules of transition basketball: he never has the numbers. Really, almost never. He converts at an amazing rate, considering that he always seems to be going 1-on-3 or 2-on-3.

This phenomenon really stood out to me in San Antonio's 103-94 win over Chicago on Nov. 17. I went back at looked at Parker's clips on Synergy Sports for that game. For the season, Parker has been producing about 1.3 points per possessions (PPP) on transition plays, a strong rate. In the game vs. the Bulls, he was credited with 11 points on 5 transition plays (2.2 PPP). I mean, the Bulls are a good defensive team that plays hard - this is a crazy number. Indeed, a play-by-play analysis of the video showed that the Bulls were getting back on defense... but they still couldn't stop Parker. Here's a play-by-play breakdown:

1) 2-on-3 break: TP Bucket

2) 1-on-3 break (4th defender collapses at end): TP Bucket

3) 3-on-3 break (4th defender chases in at end): TP Bucket And 1

4) 2-on-3 break: TP Bucket

5) 2-on-3 break: TP Bucket

Not once did Parker have the numbers, yet he converted every single time. Another thing I noticed is that, on any break above where it was 2-on-3 or 3-on-3, the non-Parker Spurs always looked to spot up behind the three-point line, rather than run to the basket, and were really trailers more than what we commonly think of as active participants in fast breaks.

It really might be the most bizarre fast-break approach I've seen: they have one little guy who gets the ball and dribbles like crazy, as he runs a one-man break which he can finish uncommonly well, even against the numbers, and even though he's not a physically dominating guy -- he essentially can't even dunk in a game! And his teammates don't even look to run to the basket, they're just running to the line.

I think the conventional wisdom is that the Spurs take a fairly conservative approach, but I'm impressed at how Popovich has been open to embrace the unorthodox.

These forays are not just aberrations. Read the whole post and you'll see that while the Spurs have a lot of fastbreak points his year, Duncan has almost none: It's Parker, mainly, with Manu Ginobili and Richard Jefferson chipping in.

hm, monta anyone, keith lacob, can you hear this?!
greg popovich doing what don nelson would do, keith smart do that as well!
"i wish i was a little bit taller" skee lo
Previous

Return to Game Threads