Game Thread: Los Angeles Lakers @ Warriors 2009-02-18

Talk about the upcoming Warriors game here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Can the Warriors beat the Lakers with a healthy squad?

Poll ended at Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:08 pm

YES
13
72%
NO
5
28%
 
Total votes : 18

User avatar
Starting Lineup
Posts: 811
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:46 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:17 am
brenteezy wrote:Man Nelly should have left Randolph in he was feelin it tonight he had energy for days! let him foul out but at least leave him in there while hes playing well!


Agree. Randolph was a total force doing everything and was everywhere. I thought the turning point was toward the end of the 3rd when he got tossed over by Odom and Nelson pulled him out (and maybe for that small scratch he sustained). We had a big lead, had momentum, but it all disappeared without AR and was sputtering thereafter.

If Nelson had left him in the 4th, I think we could have won that. He was that big of a factor.
User avatar
Role Player
Posts: 418
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:16 am
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:30 am
He had to be taken out at that point; he was bleeding... And he had 4 fouls. We could not afford for him to foul out or Turiaf would literally be our only big, and he had 5 fouls himself at the time, if I'm not mistaken.

Randolph played quite well and didn't have as many mistakes as he has in other recent games. Overall his performance was very encouraging. Although, for the record, his best play came in the first quarter WHILE TURIAF WAS ON THE COURT AS WELL. So to the person who called me out on my comments about Randolph as a Center, I still stand by them. Besides, even when Turiaf was out we weren't really playing Randolph as a Center.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21202
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:50 am
xbay wrote:
migya wrote:At least they kept the suspense. Another loss, another step closer to a top 5 pick


I don't see how ANY player in this upcoming draft will help us. I mean, maybe Blake Griffin, but the others... We don't need anymore youth.

Anyways, I ABSOLUTELY LOVED the energy Randolph brought. He hustled every play and did what he could when he had a chance to make a play, whether it be rebounding, scoring, or playing defense. Just an awesome performance by him. Nelson should of stuck with him to the end. Monta was just terrible in the past 4 minutes, he should of been watching from the sidelines instead.


I want a high draft pick because the team isn't going to make the playoffs and that high pick can be used in a trade package for a very good player. The team doesn't need anymore youth, there is more than enough here already.

Randolph just keeps producing and Nelson just keeps restricting him. He should have gotten more playing time, let the guy foul out in the fourth quarter even, but he has to get as much time as possible because he is deserving of it now



SFBlue wrote:
migya wrote:At least they kept the suspense. Another loss, another step closer to a top 5 pick


Sad that it feels like the beginning of the millenium again, hoping for that high draft pick that injures, gets traded, or falls on the almighty sword.


Think the team has far more talent than nine years ago and looks much better placed because of that. I want a high draft pick for the reasons I stated above
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Role Player
Posts: 418
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:16 am
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:02 am
I really think a top 5 pick is out of the question at this point unless Monta and/or Jackson get injured. We've been playing better and better while dealing with injuries and facing a bevy of tough opponents; now we're getting back most of our injured guys and facing a relatively easy schedule for a little while. I see us landing at eight or even nine overall the way things are going. And to be honest that's quite alright with me.

A 4-6 overall draft pick is not in high demand, particularly not in a year like this that lacks elite talent at the top of the draft. The teams that need young talent will be picking ahead of us, and the teams that want to find someone to develop can find that later on in the first round just as easily as they could in the top ten. We'll be EXTREMELY lucky to engineer a trade for our first round pick regardless of where we fall -- unless we somehow land a top two pick, in which case I'd rather just take Griffin since we need more interior players and he is going to be really good.

So I'd rather play hard and win as many games as we can, giving the young guys their fair share of opportunities (and showcasing them for potential trades in the process). At this point I'm quite happy with what we're doing and I hope it continues. We won't make the playoffs, but how many people here honestly expected us to, even before Baron opted out? Sure, there was hope... But I remember a general air of agreement that we'd be lucky to sneak into the playoffs.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21202
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:21 am
D4rk 0ne wrote:I really think a top 5 pick is out of the question at this point unless Monta and/or Jackson get injured. We've been playing better and better while dealing with injuries and facing a bevy of tough opponents; now we're getting back most of our injured guys and facing a relatively easy schedule for a little while. I see us landing at eight or even nine overall the way things are going. And to be honest that's quite alright with me.

A 4-6 overall draft pick is not in high demand, particularly not in a year like this that lacks elite talent at the top of the draft. The teams that need young talent will be picking ahead of us, and the teams that want to find someone to develop can find that later on in the first round just as easily as they could in the top ten. We'll be EXTREMELY lucky to engineer a trade for our first round pick regardless of where we fall -- unless we somehow land a top two pick, in which case I'd rather just take Griffin since we need more interior players and he is going to be really good.

So I'd rather play hard and win as many games as we can, giving the young guys their fair share of opportunities (and showcasing them for potential trades in the process). At this point I'm quite happy with what we're doing and I hope it continues. We won't make the playoffs, but how many people here honestly expected us to, even before Baron opted out? Sure, there was hope... But I remember a general air of agreement that we'd be lucky to sneak into the playoffs.



Every draft has quite a few good players that have impact in the nba, some right away, others in two or three years or so. Getting a high pick, be it top 5 or top 10, is always going to get something in a trade. There is always a team that is willing to give something good for a high draft pick.

I think the team should try to win as many games as possible, but I also think the team should be "smart" and not try too hard, now what I mean.....

A top 7 pick is desirable, as the higher the pick, higher the value in a trade ofcourse. In a package with one of the two large contracts (talking about Maggette and Crawford here), one of the young guards (Azu or Belinelli), that high pick will get a very good player.

The aim is to get better and right now the team has too many players that deserve alot of court time and some of those will get little court time and spend most of the time on the bench, like Belinelli. A very good PG is the biggest need right now, next is a well used PF (as BWright and Randolph are not used much) and the more talent to give, the better chance of getting that
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2334
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:33 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:12 am
CjR wrote:
brenteezy wrote:Man Nelly should have left Randolph in he was feelin it tonight he had energy for days! let him foul out but at least leave him in there while hes playing well!


Agree. Randolph was a total force doing everything and was everywhere. I thought the turning point was toward the end of the 3rd when he got tossed over by Odom and Nelson pulled him out (and maybe for that small scratch he sustained). We had a big lead, had momentum, but it all disappeared without AR and was sputtering thereafter.

If Nelson had left him in the 4th, I think we could have won that. He was that big of a factor.


The thing is Nelson HAD to take him out at that point, he wasn't playing smart anymore he was playing emotional. He NEEDED to cool down, but he never really did get himself back under control. That's kids though, things like that are going to happen, it's a risk you take when you play the young guys. Especially someone as young and as emotional as AR, he got too caught up in things and got completely out of control.
Image

Rookie
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:26 pm
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:38 am
man, that was some terrible officiating at the end.

i actually felt bad for Jack when he got that T in the 4th (he knew he blew it). Of course when you jump up and down and make a horse's ass of yourself complaining about a non-call, you're going to get a T.

unless of course your name is Kobe and you do the same thing 5 minutes later. of course, he gets a pass to use the rim to jump higher as well.

After Jack got his T (league leading by the way....), the self immolation began in full force. the warriors were only down 3 at that point, but that was the moment it all went wrong.

Jack: love your passion, hate the way it sometimes effects your head and your game. you're making the same mistakes Randolph is making there, but you get a free pass from nelly, where AR gets the bench.
User avatar
Starting Lineup
Posts: 811
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:46 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:51 pm
Captain_Jack wrote:
CjR wrote:
brenteezy wrote:Man Nelly should have left Randolph in he was feelin it tonight he had energy for days! let him foul out but at least leave him in there while hes playing well!


Agree. Randolph was a total force doing everything and was everywhere. I thought the turning point was toward the end of the 3rd when he got tossed over by Odom and Nelson pulled him out (and maybe for that small scratch he sustained). We had a big lead, had momentum, but it all disappeared without AR and was sputtering thereafter.

If Nelson had left him in the 4th, I think we could have won that. He was that big of a factor.


The thing is Nelson HAD to take him out at that point, he wasn't playing smart anymore he was playing emotional. He NEEDED to cool down, but he never really did get himself back under control. That's kids though, things like that are going to happen, it's a risk you take when you play the young guys. Especially someone as young and as emotional as AR, he got too caught up in things and got completely out of control.


I’d have to disagree. Randolph was playing great and was grabbing boards and making shots just a few possessions before—and hustling like no one else. Yes, he still seemed out of control, but he was very effective and more controlled than how he usually plays.

On another note, as for his cut, it wasn’t even trickling. They could have treated it and quickly got him back in. Bottom line, that was the turning point and in giving up our 10 pt. lead.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2334
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:33 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:52 am
CjR wrote:
Captain_Jack wrote:
CjR wrote:
brenteezy wrote:Man Nelly should have left Randolph in he was feelin it tonight he had energy for days! let him foul out but at least leave him in there while hes playing well!


Agree. Randolph was a total force doing everything and was everywhere. I thought the turning point was toward the end of the 3rd when he got tossed over by Odom and Nelson pulled him out (and maybe for that small scratch he sustained). We had a big lead, had momentum, but it all disappeared without AR and was sputtering thereafter.

If Nelson had left him in the 4th, I think we could have won that. He was that big of a factor.


The thing is Nelson HAD to take him out at that point, he wasn't playing smart anymore he was playing emotional. He NEEDED to cool down, but he never really did get himself back under control. That's kids though, things like that are going to happen, it's a risk you take when you play the young guys. Especially someone as young and as emotional as AR, he got too caught up in things and got completely out of control.


I’d have to disagree. Randolph was playing great and was grabbing boards and making shots just a few possessions before—and hustling like no one else. Yes, he still seemed out of control, but he was very effective and more controlled than how he usually plays.

On another note, as for his cut, it wasn’t even trickling. They could have treated it and quickly got him back in. Bottom line, that was the turning point and in giving up our 10 pt. lead.


Except that happened in the 3rd quarter and we held onto that lead until into the 4th. So it really had no relation.
Image
User avatar
Starting Lineup
Posts: 811
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:46 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:01 pm
We lost the lead in the 3rd. We were up by 10-12 when Randolph was in and was a tremendous factor. When he was taken out they caught us at 90 a piece before the end of the 3rd.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1145
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:30 pm
Location: San Francisco
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:16 pm
I thought we lost the lead in the 4th when Ariza hit those two killer 3's.
Previous

Return to Game Threads

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron